What's new

OREN or Hawk?

Worth a try :) . I was peeved when they halved the price hours after placing my order. I got no response from them when I asked for the sale price. So it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
While I dithered about buying it, they sent me a coupon for 10% off. When I still hadn't ordered it, they sent one for 15% off. At that point, it was $51 with shipping costs, and they had worn me down. I have owned lots of razors but the only other AC razor I've used is the RazoRock Black Hawk. I'll be interested to see how the OREN performs.

Because of this thread my interest in the Oren was piqued. I ordered one...

...I really don't need another razor...

...I blame all of you!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I really have no idea what opposite means here but I do make a point of pointing out my comments are about my head shave when applicable. The fact is that head hair differs as much as beard, some is more coarse than beard hair, some finer. Mine happens to be more course and more demanding from a razor than my beard but that is not true for everyone..

Opposite as you explained in that head hair is normally more coarse is what I meant in this instance...

Opposite as you explained in that head hair is normally more coarse is what I meant in this instance...
Actually I didn't say that. I said some. If you read the science it will tell you head hair is typically finer and softer than beard hair. The reason you may have the opposite impression from the forums is that it's folks like me and @rabidus with coarser hair who have issues who post about it. Head shavers with finer hair with no issues tend not to bother to post about it.

On another matter, I'm having difficulty getting a Proline blade to stay in my OREN. Frustrating. Just me?

The Oren has the least blade support (from the underside) compared to any razor I know of. When shaving with this the blade does indeed flex, but in a good way for me. Reminds me of the Shick Tracer in which the blades were designed to flex inwards from years ago, but the Oren is way better. Also, it is almost impossible to clog. My only negative complaint is the thin handle shape, which takes some getting used to.

Last edited:
The initial shave with the OREN with the medium plate was very smooth and comfortable, both smoother and more comfortable than the Hawk, but not as close. I’ll use it a bit more before trying the more aggressive plate.

One thing I didn’t like, which I posted in a different thread, is that the finish on the OREM handle has some rough edges. Fortunately they don’t come into play during a shave.

The initial shave with the OREN with the medium plate was very smooth and comfortable, both smoother and more comfortable than the Hawk, but not as close. I’ll use it a bit more before trying the more aggressive plate.

One thing I didn’t like, which I posted in a different thread, is that the finish on the OREM handle has some rough edges. Fortunately they don’t come into play during a shave.
I saw your other pay about the finish work... very curious. I have the back version and find nothing like you describe, only smooth transitions. It looks like you have the silver version and I wonder if there are any different steps between the three color variations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have responded to the other thread to say:-

Mine is the same. I am sure some emery paper attention will solve it, if ever it gets to bother me.

Just check my Occam’s razor, and yes the inside edge of the oval cut out on the handle is not rounded like the outside edge of the handle. The inside edge is at a 90° angle. Never noticed this before, so obviously, it is not a problem for me since I have been using the razor for the 7-8 months.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I received my new Oren razor and had a shave with it. It was quite rough around the neck. I think I need to adjust my angle . But got a super smooth bbs on the face. Got a lot of sting from my aftershave. I was fairly pleased with this first attempt. I will be giving it another shot for sure. I do love the single edge AC format . I used a Kai mild. Maybe I'll try a feather next. I have the pro and the pro guard. What blades do you guys find work well in this thing?

Congrats on your first shave. The roughness could well be attributed to our old friends, pressure and angle.

My approach with a brand new blade, usually Feather Pro, is to do the first three shaves with the 1Dot head. That smooths out the initial harshness of the new blade and then progress to the 2Dot head. The 3Dot is a bit too much for me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I own a Hawk V2 aluminum simply because it is aluminum and NOT stainless steel. I'm not sure how heavy the Occam is, but if it's more than about 2.75 ounces, I'd not want it. Heavier than that for me detracts from the shave. I feel like I'm driving a tank instead of a sports car.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I forgot to mention that I own two RR Hawks. As well as a Feather Artist Club. So I’m no stranger to the AC blade format. I never really bonded with the Hawks, because I really haven’t had good luck with any all-aluminum razors. Too light for me. But I tried and tried with the hawks because I really like the format. I missed out on scoring a stainless Hawk. But this Oren razor has my interest. The way the blade loads and kind of flops around in there. The look of the thing is cool and unique. And it feels good in the hand while shaving. If I can smooth it out, I’ll be good. I will take the above advice, and try the one-dot plate, and work on my angle.

Any updates if an aggressive plate of the OREN provided a closer shave?

The Hawk V3 is my best shaving razor, hands down. Super smooth. I feel like I'm cheating when I shave, it's so easy to use. It's incredible that it carries the reasonable price tag that it does. It has me thinking of dumping DE razors that are 3-5 times the price.

I stay away from the Oren. I hear okay things about it, but the quality issues that pervaded the Enoch have me skeptical that the person knows what they're doing when managing their contract manufacturer in China or can be trusted on quality issues.

Top Bottom