What's new

OREN or Hawk?

Thinking of trying single-edge shaving for a change of pace. Debating on starting with an OREN or Hawk. Suggestions, please. Also, recommendations on blades for someone just starting?

Many thanks.

Love my Occam OREN.... never used a Hawk. As a long time at shaver I've used a lot of different razors and still own and use a OneBlade Genesis, ATT Atlas S1, RazoRock Mamba plus several vintage Gillettes and straight razors... The first time I used the OREN I was shocked at how well it preformed, better than anything I'd ever used. To this day I don't know why it doesn't get more love.

For blades I use either the Feather Pro Guard or KAI Captain Mild Protouch MG.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

One more thing. In the OREN the blade rides a bit loose vs what looks like a firm hold in the Hawk. I think the looser hold combined with the blade length creates flex that contributes to the super smooth shave characteristics.

I have both as love them equally. My impression is that the S/S Hawk shaves comparably to the OREN with the one dot head. Very smooth efficient and mild, no alum sting. The two and three dot heads increase the efficiency up to aggressive. Mostly I use the two dot and find the three dot a bit too much for my face and technique. When using a brand new Feather Professional I like to use the one dot head for the first few shaves until the initial Feather harshness had calmed down and then switch to the two dot head.

For blades, I also like the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink and the Schick Proline is a favourite too. Sorry but I can't pick a best or be more analytical, I am quite new to the artist club experience. There are some specific threads on the forums which should help. Though I suspect that in due course you will want to try them all out for yourself anyway and they are all great.

My recommendation is to go for the OREN and enjoy the versatility afforded by the three heads. In a way the decision makes itself as only the OREN can be purchased new, the Razorock Stainless Steel Hawk is no longer in production and so you would be looking at the second hand market.

I agree with @ddillas observations. Some complain about blade chatter on the OREN but my only concern is the shaving experience and which is superb. Also it is very easy to insert and remove the blade using just fingers, the nifty little tool become quickly redundant.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8-26-18.Hawk.SV.Fern.Manchurian.640.JPG

I have only the Hawk (SS DLC). I've used only the Proline with it. It is a very very good AC platform razor. Maybe better than the SS General and the ATT versions (I have both), but they're all very good razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the original Occam razor and I'm not a fan of the blade chatter. I use an ATT SE1/Schick Proline exclusively, it's definitely a better razor than the Occam.

I don't have the Hawk but I've heard good things about it.

I’ve shaved with both the v1 Hawk and the OREN plate 2. I vastly preferred the shave and results of the OREN. It’s almost like shaving with a cart but way better.

The OREN’s blade mechanism feels a little questionable at first and there is definitely less rigidity in how the blade is held, but I felt the overall shave much superior to the v1 Hawk.

This is going to be a completely YMMV situation. I judge razors based upon my head shave and the OREN I just acquired leaves stubble behind which the Hawk and SE-1 did not. In fact I cleaned up what the OREN left tonight (plate 2, Feather Super) with my $15 Enders Speed with a Proline blade. My head is not your face but that's my initial experience with the OREN. I like the handling of it just fine but the lack of rigidity seems a problem for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm sure that most know that head and face shaves are pretty much opposites from each other and should never be compared in any context... At least from what I've read in the last couple years...

I have both as love them equally. My impression is that the S/S Hawk shaves comparably to the OREN with the one dot head. Very smooth efficient and mild, no alum sting. The two and three dot heads increase the efficiency up to aggressive. Mostly I use the two dot and find the three dot a bit too much for my face and technique. When using a brand new Feather Professional I like to use the one dot head for the first few shaves until the initial Feather harshness had calmed down and then switch to the two dot head.

For blades, I also like the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink and the Schick Proline is a favourite too. Sorry but I can't pick a best or be more analytical, I am quite new to the artist club experience. There are some specific threads on the forums which should help. Though I suspect that in due course you will want to try them all out for yourself anyway and they are all great.

My recommendation is to go for the OREN and enjoy the versatility afforded by the three heads. In a way the decision makes itself as only the OREN can be purchased new, the Razorock Stainless Steel Hawk is no longer in production and so you would be looking at the second hand market.

I agree with @ddillas observations. Some complain about blade chatter on the OREN but my only concern is the shaving experience and which is superb. Also it is very easy to insert and remove the blade using just fingers, the nifty little tool become quickly redundant.

Have read about the "blade chatter" in the OREN and that is primarily what has me concerned, otherwise I might have gone with it without posting the question in this forum. As you suggest, I like the versatility it offers, but I often wonder whether one gives up overall quality and consistency for that.

Some or most may disagree but I always think the term "blade chatter" is not a good description... I'm not shaving at 60 mph across cobble stones. Maybe aggressive flex seems more accurate to me. And I think it's this flex that gives a smooth shave on the face and not for the head. For me most any razor can get BBS smooth on the cheeks and chin but the area under the chin and around the adams apple are much more of a challenge... The OREN for me gives a BBS in this area with ease.

Have read about the "blade chatter" in the OREN and that is primarily what has me concerned, otherwise I might have gone with it without posting the question in this forum. As you suggest, I like the versatility it offers, but I often wonder whether one gives up overall quality and consistency for that.

I own the Occam (Orem) v2. and the Hawk as well the ATT SE1. I keep hearing about this “blade chatter”, but truthfully, I have no idea what people are talking about. The blade, at least to me, seems as firm as it is in the Hawk and the ATT SE1. For some reason, the Occam razor does not get the respect it deserves. It is a damn fine razor.

Last edited:
I own the Occam (Orem) v2. and the Hawk as well a few the ATT SE1. I keep hearing about this “blade chatter”, but truthfully, I have no idea what people are talking about. The blade, at least to me, seems as firm as it is in the Hawk and the ATT SE1. For some reason, the Occam razor does not get the respect it deserves. It is a damn fine razor.
+1

I'm sure that most know that head and face shaves are pretty much opposites from each other and should never be compared in any context...

I really have no idea what opposite means here but I do make a point of pointing out my comments are about my head shave when applicable. The fact is that head hair differs as much as beard, some is more coarse than beard hair, some finer. Mine happens to be more course and more demanding from a razor than my beard but that is not true for everyone..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When it comes to a down and dirty 20 hour lasting BBS, the Occam V1 doesn't measure up. The SE1 or other razors that lock the blade down tight are precise. For the more coarse areas, I need precision.

When the blade in the Occam hits my coarse stubble, the blade will flex and not cut the stubble clean, it feels smooth, but doesn't get the more coarse ones well. Even going over multiple times doesn't get the job done.

I only shave ATG and it's BBS with ease everytime with the SE1.

I haven't shaved my head since last August, but I have even more coarse stubble up there, that requires rigidity.

The Occam is a nice concept but it doesn't meet my demands.

Only a handful of DE's meet my demands do to rigidity issues.

Some or most may disagree but I always think the term "blade chatter" is not a good description... I'm not shaving at 60 mph across cobble stones. Maybe aggressive flex seems more accurate to me. And I think it's this flex that gives a smooth shave on the face and not for the head. For me most any razor can get BBS smooth on the cheeks and chin but the area under the chin and around the adams apple are much more of a challenge... The OREN for me gives a BBS in this area with ease.

Great description. My experience with attempting to achieve a BBS seem to be the same as yours, with the most difficult areas being the hollows (don't know if that's the technical term) just above and to either side of the Adam's apple. So an OREN could be the solution.

Your all just enablers all of ya!!!

Just bought a OREN in black (no razor packs as I have several already) got a discount code and saved over £6 and the razor was reduced from £176 to £40!!!! Thats the same as me stealing it! Not even £60 in total from the US to the UK!!

I have:
Hawk v2 aluminum
Att se1 aluminum
Occam’s razor
Occam’s Oren

The hawk is the best value.
The regular Occam’s shaves great.

I had to return my first Oren because the safety bar bent up after they did the Oren machining. Couldn’t insert the blade without it scraping the safety bar.

Fwiw, they machine the Oren from a normal Occam’s after the finish work is done. It seems far from ideal imo. Plus, it doesn’t shave better than the normal Occam’s. Classic was less than accommodating even after they admitted my Oren was defective. I would start with a hawk if you want to dip your toes into the ac format.

Top Bottom