What's new

Ordering Brush from Shavemac Unglued?

Hello, placing order for a Flattop D01 2-band in Ivory handle #87. I cant decide if I want 40 or 42mm loft. It might not be that much difference, but still undecided. Ive read anywhere from 40-44mm loft are good.

I was going to get loft set at 42 and have it shipped unglued. I have tools to drop loft by drilling handle the extra depth if I didnt like it at 42.

Is this doable? By that I mean, if brush is built for 42 and i set it deeper in handle, will this effect how it performs as it was made to be set at 42 rather than 40?

Agreed. I guess I should have said would a knot built to 42 and dropped by me perform differently than if I ordered it at 40.

Hello, placing order for a Flattop D01 2-band in Ivory handle #87. I cant decide if I want 40 or 42mm loft. It might not be that much difference, but still undecided. Ive read anywhere from 40-44mm loft are good.

I was going to get loft set at 42 and have it shipped unglued. I have tools to drop loft by drilling handle the extra depth if I didnt like it at 42.

Is this doable? By that I mean, if brush is built for 42 and i set it deeper in handle, will this effect how it performs as it was made to be set at 42 rather than 40?

Hi there,
have you ordered already? What's the knot size (diameter)? Typically a loft 2x the diameter is standard, eg, 24mm knot -> 48mm loft. If you go 46mm loft this will reduce splay and increase backbone. A 50mm loft will go the other direction. If the type of hair is rather soft and not so densly packed, then a high loft may result in a floppy brush. Densely packed 2-band hair might be perfectly ok at 24mm knot with a 50mm or even 52mm loft. Obviously personal preference and bowl vs face lathering will determine YMMV.
Good luck with your choice.

Shavemac gives the knot size from the very bottom but the loft from the visible part only.
Therefore my nominal 24/50 brush is in fact 25-25.5mm measured by calipers and 50mm high —> 1:2 ratio achieved.

I've ordered two DO1 2-band brushes from Shavemac and have specified an extra 2mm over suggested loft in each case. My reasoning was to improve the face feel (reduce scritch) and I am quite happy with the results. Still plenty of backbone with the coarser 2-band hair.

Hi there,
have you ordered already? What's the knot size (diameter)? Typically a loft 2x the diameter is standard, eg, 24mm knot -> 48mm loft. If you go 46mm loft this will reduce splay and increase backbone. A 50mm loft will go the other direction. If the type of hair is rather soft and not so densly packed, then a high loft may result in a floppy brush. Densely packed 2-band hair might be perfectly ok at 24mm knot with a 50mm or even 52mm loft. Obviously personal preference and bowl vs face lathering will determine YMMV.
Good luck with your choice.

Sorry, that important info was missing. Its a 20mm knot. I wanted 2:1 ratio as suggested by others. In the configurator, it showed standard loft for 20mm D01 2-band flattop as 44mm, so i opted for minus 4 mm on loft. Order was placed last week, so it should be finished up in a week or so.

Sorry, that important info was missing. Its a 20mm knot. I wanted 2:1 ratio as suggested by others. In the configurator, it showed standard loft for 20mm D01 2-band flattop as 44mm, so i opted for minus 4 mm on loft. Order was placed last week, so it should be finished up in a week or so.
You will get a dense little spud as I guess the 20mm will be closer to 22mm, but with the flattop you don’t have any issues with it being pokey like a too dense bulb.

My D01-2 Band bulb looks like a mushroom whereas the 2 Band is closer to a ball - both are 24mm.

4F0232B9-3F65-4F84-8610-5F7E18C458A9.jpeg

Don't be surprised if you get an email confirming that you really want a -4. I originally went with a minus 2 on my brush and he talked me out of it. It arrived with the visible loft that I was expecting with the -2. I know he is really busy right now, but communication is usually excellent.

Interesting. I ordered a 20mm knot with a 40mm loft. I expect to get that, especially with the flattop shape and the price. Had I wanted a 22mm, thats what I would of ordered. We’ll see what arrives and proceed from there.

Don't be surprised if you get an email confirming that you really want a -4. I originally went with a minus 2 on my brush and he talked me out of it. It arrived with the visible loft that I was expecting with the -2. I know he is really busy right now, but communication is usually excellent.

im a little confused. You ordered -2 and he talked you out of it, but it still arrived -2 as you originally ordered?

You have to remember that there is "as set" and "as visible" so to speak. A 20mm will be put in a 22-23mm hole and you will have 22 visible. The loft is a bit cloudier, but it appears you lose about 2mm from what the stated loft is. Don't think badly of this, it's consistent across makers. My guess is you will get a 22x38 visible. I was told to think of the loft options from Shavemac as defining your preferred feel rather than exact numbers. If you order a -4 from him, you are telling him you want the most backbone possible. His standard heights are well balanced. The 20mm in 2 band is a great knot and you shouldn't be disappointed with its actual performance.

Thanks. Im was going by suggestion of RV for this type of hair/shape/knot to go with 40mm loft. I didn't know that they show up shorter than what is ordered. I took it to mean that if I ordered it minus 4mm, and standard is 44mm, it would be 40mm. Im a little concerned about this now.

Thanks. Im was going by suggestion of RV for this type of hair/shape/knot to go with 40mm loft. I didn't know that they show up shorter than what is ordered. I took it to mean that if I ordered it minus 4mm, and standard is 44mm, it would be 40mm. Im a little concerned about this now.
Send Bernd a message and he will advise based on your preferences.

If you don't get a response in time, please don't take my word over RV. I am trying to convey that brush construction is not an exact science. I wouldn't go smaller than a 20mm as a first brush from Shavemac unless you have seen one in person. It's a great smaller size and with the D01 option, the width is going to be compact regardless of loft.

Right, these are individually constructed so I understand there is going to some variance and the visible portion where knot meets handle will be bigger than stated size of knot (otherwise, the knot wouldn’t fit in handle).

Trying to relate individual preferences is tough, especially over email. Ill send message and let him know Id like loft at 40, if it has already hasn’t been built. I wish it was a little clearer if its the case that orders show up shorter.

Top Bottom