What's new

Ordered the everything sampler pack from Weast Cost Shaving Need help with aggresiveness ranking

Yah so I figured these sampler packs would, you know come with some sort of chart that ranked how aggressive or sharp the blades are. Nope, so I'm sitting here with 100 blades and not at all sure where to start.

My razor is a Parker Adjustable Variant with Sharks as the starting point, because that's what come with it.

I'm on the quest to find the right blade for my face and beard. Care to help a brother out?

I think there's no chart because there are too many variables, from type of skin, beard to prep and razor used.
Feather is considered to be the sharpest by many, but the rest seems to be somewhat open to debate.

Have fun finding the right one for your needs. Just make sure you use same blade and preparation routine so you can compare "apples to apples" as you go.

Not at all, it's fun to try different and learn what suits you. There's likely to be more than one you'll end up liking.
I mean I could offer you feedback based on my own experience on some of those, but you might find that your experience with them is significantly different.

To avoid "dicing up your face" as you stated it, just make sure you have enough time set aside and keep your Parker on somewhat milder setting to start.

Pick a blade and try it. Just be sure that your razor is on it's lowest setting and work your way up with each shave.

I'm on the quest to find the right blade for my face and beard. Care to help a brother out?
The first thing to bear in mind is you are trying to find a good preparation technique combination. With that in mind it is unfair to appraise blades when you are working on the variables. Many of the blades from St Petersburg give good results so start with them (Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP, Astra SS, Polsilver SI, Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, Nacet to name a few).
If you remain with the same razor and soap for a while the only variable is the blade. Be sure to read the Shave Wiki (link in main menu bar) for guidance in preparation and technique.

Most DE shavers agree that Feather and Kai blades are the sharpest, but other than that there's a lot of debate and disagreement. I've read on numerous occasions that blade x is "almost as sharp as a feather but much smoother", yet I've found that particular type to be blunt and/or rough. It's all rather subjective and personal. As said above, however, I reckon most people find the St. Petersburg blades to be pretty reliable.
Also, I don't think any blade can be described as "aggressive". That term would generally be used for a razor with a lot of blade exposure and/or blade gap. Blades are either very sharp, sharp or (in the case of some Chinese ones I've used) not at all sharp.

IMO, a good shave starts with face prep and lather. I wash my face with hot water, whip up a thick, creamy lather, then get started. Concentrate on your lather, choose a blade and stick with that blade type for all five blades in the tuck. Stick with the same soap as you're finding the blades that work best for you. By minimizing the variables you will be able to develop good technique faster. Sharks are your first choice? Use all five. Got Astras? Try those next and use all five, keeping the soap the same. Enjoy your shaves! :thumbup1:

Welcome! Blades are the most YMMV (your mileage may vary) aspect of DE shaving. There are many variables, sharpness, smoothness, longevity, etc. I suggest you use a low razor setting, then pick a blade and start establishing what works for you. As ROUGH guide I would keep Feathers and Kais for later in your journey.

Hey fellas, perhaps I should have stated that I already do the whole wet your face, heat it up, lather up. I've been shaving with the Sharks for about 3-4 weeks now and it always feels like it's tugging the hair, even with a brand new blade.

I'm thinking my hair is just not suitable to the Shark. So I got the big sampler pack, guaranteed to find a blade that way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As been said there are way to many variables to make a chart. Not only that, imagine the liability associated with a chart!

If it hasn't been stated already, I'd recommend simply picking one at random. Maybe keep track of how the blade feels to you, and what product you used. You'll very likely find out that a blade you hated 1 month in might be the best one ever after a year of practice and getting your technique down. Plus perhaps blades shave different in different razors.

Blades are the most subjective thing here. If there is anything that embodies the YMMV mantra it's DE blades.

OK, well do you guys have some starting points on blades then?

I only have 1 razor, 1 cream, and 1 brush.

Parker Adjustable Variant, Taylor of Old Bond Peppermint, and a Parker Synthetic.

Is the Parker Adjustable not a good razor? I figured since it was adjustable, it would be quite versatile to fit any face. Should I have just gotten the Merkur instead?

OK, well do you guys have some starting points on blades then?

I only have 1 razor, 1 cream, and 1 brush.

Parker Adjustable Variant, Taylor of Old Bond Peppermint, and a Parker Synthetic.

Is the Parker Adjustable not a good razor? I figured since it was adjustable, it would be quite versatile to fit any face. Should I have just gotten the Merkur instead?

Haven't tried it personally but from what I read, Parker is as good as any razor to start with (and even years later).

As someone else suggested, keep Kai and Feather for a bit later in the game since they are among the sharpest.
To be honest, though, I find the whole "Feather is dangerously sharp" a bit overused, but maybe not ideal beginner's blade. You've already tried Sharks so next in line maybe try Merkur razor. I found them both equally unsatisfying... LOL, but as we said, your experience might be completely different and you gotta start somewhere. Just remember, good prep, mild setting on Variant, very little to no pressure on the blade, short strokes, and take your time.

I bought a sampler pack when I was starting out that was pretty similar to the one you have, so here's how I approached it. I decided to pick one brand of blade and use 2-3 of them in a row to get a feel for them and rule out fluke blades. Then move on to a different brand. After 4-5 different brands I just picked the one that felt best on my face and used those for like 6 months before I even thought about blades again. I think I started with Astra, then tried sharks (I agree with you, they felt like constant tugging/scraping), Derby and Crystal (black label with the grey stripe that just says "stainless steel blades). Aside from the Sharks they all would have worked, I just thought the Crystals were a good combo of sharp and smooth for my face.

Now I don't use the Crystal blades anymore but the Gillette 7 'o' clock yellows.

It's all kind of random and dependent on the person but if you're looking for a starting point, this worked for me. Good luck!

Is the Parker Adjustable not a good razor? I figured since it was adjustable, it would be quite versatile to fit any face.
Nothing wrong with that razor. Start about 1.5 - 2 and work on that setting which is equivalent to the Merkur HD. Get the blade angle correct (check the Shave Wiki) and your shaves should start to improve with experience.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I picked out the Astra, going to try them later.

I'm very convince the Sharks just aren't good for my face and hair.

As been said there are way to many variables to make a chart. Not only that, imagine the liability associated with a chart!

If it hasn't been stated already, I'd recommend simply picking one at random. Maybe keep track of how the blade feels to you, and what product you used. You'll very likely find out that a blade you hated 1 month in might be the best one ever after a year of practice and getting your technique down. Plus perhaps blades shave different in different razors.

Blades are the most subjective thing here. If there is anything that embodies the YMMV mantra it's DE blades.

Top Bottom