What's new

Ordered some "Old Whippersnapper" shave soap

I haven't read too much about it here other than some skeptics.
It seemed interesting to try because it's unscented.
I'm interested to hear if anybody has tried it?

I have some tallow soap left to try. Their pine tar is fabulous. The prices have really jumped though. Last box I got was a black Friday deal. Curious on the shave soap. What version did you get? It looks like the shave tallow soap is the same as the bar soap but smaller. The tallow/coco/she combination sounds good too. My tallow bar soap has shrunken so much the wrapper is very loose. It's been in the cabinet about 18 months lol. Might give it a go for shaving.

Last edited:
I shaved this morning with the Old Whippersnapper. The soap bar doesn't seem to be very hard, a bit softer than I was expecting. I still can't make lather very well, but I did my best and got a pretty great shave. I don't know enough to really have an opinion. I do like that it is all natural w/out any additives. I'm sure it's normal, but I'm not crazy about the smell/lack of smell of the pure tallow soap. It isn't bad, but I think I would buy something scented next time.

I'd never heard of it until I saw this thread - just went to their website and the site is so annoying with the pop-ups and ringtone alerts telling me "so and so just bought xyz" so I didn't stay long. The price seems low until you see that it's only 2.5oz

Mitchell's Wool Fat refill puck doesn't cost much more and you get 4.5oz. Mitchell's has a scent but it's very light, pleasant and clean smelling for a tallow soap - it also has amazing post shave feel. Stirling has some very nice tallow soaps and most of their soaps that I've tried have quite strong scents.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'd never heard of it until I saw this thread - just went to their website and the site is so annoying with the pop-ups and ringtone alerts telling me "so and so just bought xyz" so I didn't stay long. The price seems low until you see that it's only 2.5oz

Mitchell's Wool Fat refill puck doesn't cost much more and you get 4.5oz. Mitchell's has a scent but it's very light, pleasant and clean smelling for a tallow soap - it also has amazing post shave feel. Stirling has some very nice tallow soaps and most of their soaps that I've tried have quite strong scents.

Several things bug me about the site, with the very annoying pop-ups just one.

Another is the claim that it's tallow from Wagyu beef, (which he claims is also known as Kobe beef. Not correct, Kobe cattle ONLY come from Kobe Japan). Maybe he means American Wagyu, which is a misleading name some beef producers have for beef that at some point had a Wagyu cow in the family tree. There are no herds of Wagyu beef in the United States. There are less than 5000 Genuine Wagyu cattle in the entire United States. They are used for breeding, not for general slaughter, except those that age out.

One more is his use of Popcorn Sutton as his brand label. Popcorn Sutton was a well known Appalachian Moonshiner from North Carolina. I suppose it is possible that a guy in Connecticut got permission from Popcorn Suttons Family to use his likeness.

His description of the "100% tallow" shaving soap puts me off. It's not shaving soap. It's soap for sure, but it's just tallow soap. Shaving soap has other ingredients which increase latherability, slip, and slickness. Just calling tallow soap "shaving soap" because it's round is like calling Mysore Sandalwood bath soap "shaving soap" because it is round.
Mysore Sandalwood is a great bath soap. It's an absolutely terrible shaving soap.

He intimates in his own copy that his tallow shaving soap is difficult to lather, and by comparison, says his Coco/shea butter mixed with tallow is much easier to lather. That's not surprising to me at all. Tallow is not a magical ingredient that makes any soap wonderful. There are plenty of crappy tallow soaps out there.

Last edited:

Another is the claim that it's tallow from Wagyu beef, (which he claims is also known as Kobe beef. Not correct, Kobe cattle ONLY come from Kobe Japan). Maybe he means American Wagyu, which is a misleading name some beef producers have for beef that at some point had a Wagyu cow in the family tree. There are no herds of Wagyu beef in the United States. There are less than 5000 Genuine Wagyu cattle in the entire United States. They are used for breeding, not for general slaughter, except those that age out.

One more is his use of Popcorn Sutton as his brand label. Popcorn Sutton was a well known Appalachian Moonshiner from North Carolina. I suppose it is possible that a guy in Connecticut got permission from Popcorn Suttons Family to use his likeness.

His description of the "100% tallow" shaving soap puts me off. It's not shaving soap. It's soap for sure, but it's just tallow soap. Shaving soap has other ingredients which increase latherability, slip, and slickness. Just calling tallow soap "shaving soap" because it's round is like calling Mysore Sandalwood bath soap "shaving soap" because it is round.
Mysore Sandalwood is a great bath soap. It's an absolutely terrible shaving soap.

He intimates in his own copy that his tallow shaving soap is difficult to lather, and by comparison, says his Coco/shea butter mixed with tallow is much easier to lather. That's not surprising to me at all. Tallow is not a magical ingredient that makes any soap wonderful. There are plenty of crappy tallow soaps out there.

Also interesting that I didn't see any reviews for the "Wagyu" tallow shave soap. I scrolled thru the entire review list and didn't find a single one. Maybe the OP can be the first, as long as it is positive enough to get published.

OK Phil...what's your beef? :biggrin1:

Haven't had the same issues on their site but noted the likeness in the picture and the wagyu/Kobe descrepancy. The bar soap appears to be a full size version of the shave soap. I'll try my shrunken bar soap on my next shave. It's 18 months on the shelf has dehydrated it. Also my go to is Tabac until I run out, so I can compare them. Mine is the tallow bar soap. Once again their black Friday deals are very good as well as their pine tar soap.

Top Bottom