What's new

Ordered my first hat

Last Friday I ordered the Indiana Jones fur felt fedora. As I mentioned in my introduction post it is not an accurate replica. I would place a link to it but I haven't found the rules yet so I don't know if links to hat websites are allowed so I am refraining from posting any. It has a tear drop crown with a less aggressive pinch in the front than anything ever used in the films. I will post pictures of it when it arrives. I will have to remove the Indiana Jones pin from the side, I'm hoping it comes off easily enough and doesn't damage the hat in the process. The color looks like a cigar brown with a ribbon that is such a dark brown that it's nearly black. I liked this color because it seemed neutral enough to go with most of the clothes in my wardrobe. I was wondering though, if anyone has any experience with these hats and knows how difficult it is to remove that logo pin?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The best source of information is found in the Shave Wiki. You should be able to find some information on the Terms of Use (TOU). The main thing is that links to live auctions are NOT allowed on the forum. Alternatively you can show some photos of the hat when you receive it in the mail. It sounds like a great hat.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I may have the same hat. It's not obvious how to remove the pin; I keep meaning to just snip it off. Nobody has ever kidded me about it, though. Must be my bullwhip. (Just kidding!)

I may have the same hat. It's not obvious how to remove the pin; I keep meaning to just snip it off. Nobody has ever kidded me about it, though. Must be my bullwhip. (Just kidding!)

It sounds like it may be riveted on and not just pinned to the hat which concerns me for two reasons. The first one is damaging the hat trying to get it off. Second is the fear of having the odd adventure where I'm being offered chilled monkey brains.

The best source of information is found in the Shave Wiki. You should be able to find some information on the Terms of Use (TOU). The main thing is that links to live auctions are NOT allowed on the forum. Alternatively you can show some photos of the hat when you receive it in the mail. It sounds like a great hat.
Will do, anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Will post pictures once it does. Thank you.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have two Indy hats: one is of soft wool felt, the other is of stiff fur felt. They both have identical metal "pins" that are not pins at all! Instead, they are attached to the band by bendable metal tabs. I just now removed both, using a pair of needle nosed pliers and some patience.

The tabs on the better (stiff) hat wrap around the vertical part of the bow. You just need to reach in with your pliers and unbend each tab.

Unfortunately, the tabs on the cheaper (floppy) hat are pushed through one of the wings of the bow; I opted to remove the "pin" anyway. Again, this I did with pliers, though you could probably do it with a thin, flat screwdriver. Doing so did leave a pair of almost invisible puncture marks on the bow, which do not bother me, and which can be brushed to almost invisibility with a fingernail. If anybody asks about them, I'll just say they're from where the cobra tried to bite me (hey, it's an Indy hat).

I've been meaning to deal with this for a long time. Hope it helps you.

B.

The Stetson pin on a leather cap of mine is also as @Whilliam describes.

I should move or remove it, as it points to the ground when the cap is worn.

E1A64205-69AE-416B-9130-131B456660BE.jpeg 7CB82731-1A98-4DB6-866B-3C627EA1B06A.jpeg

Whilliam and Scarry knight, thank you it does help me see what I am dealing with better. I was way off as to how I thought these logos were affixed to the hat. Whilliam the hat I ordered was the stiffer fur felt hat that you described. It looks like an amazing hat. I am patiently waiting for it to arrive though it said it shipped from CA on 13th and I am not getting any updates while it is in transit on it's way to South Carolina. I was hoping it would so I could better predict when it would arrive but I'm guessing it will be here by Monday roughly.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Whilliam and Scarry knight, thank you it does help me see what I am dealing with better. I was way off as to how I thought these logos were affixed to the hat. Whilliam the hat I ordered was the stiffer fur felt hat that you described. It looks like an amazing hat. I am patiently waiting for it to arrive though it said it shipped from CA on 13th and I am not getting any updates while it is in transit on it's way to South Carolina. I was hoping it would so I could better predict when it would arrive but I'm guessing it will be here by Monday roughly.
It's a great hat. Hope you enjoy it.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I was tempted to order the Akubra version.
That's the real deal! From what I understand, Indy's hat was based on a modified vintage Akubra design.

Interestingly, the one I wear most is the cheap wool felt version. I like its nonchalant crush-ability. Also, as I am prone to forgetting hats, this one would be no great loss, should I leave it at some restaurant.

That's the real deal! From what I understand, Indy's hat was based on a modified vintage Akubra design.

Interestingly, the one I wear most is the cheap wool felt version. I like its nonchalant crush-ability. Also, as I am prone to forgetting hats, this one would be no great loss, should I leave it at some restaurant.
His hats were the Herbert Johnson poet model. I had no clue they were based on akubra though.

There was a new maker for the last movie, him and another vendor made hats for the movie and they sell the same hats as custom order too. Last time I checked they were not cheap, 400 bucks for a beaver felt fedora made with the same hat block as the movie versions.

Well my hat came in from Village Hat shop. They sent me a Dorman Pacific 100% WOOL hat!?! Which after looking it up online is a $60 hat. I paid twice as much for a fine fur felt Indiana Jones officially licensed hat. How disappointing. Now I have to return it. Really abnoxious.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I get home I will try to remember to post pics of my Indy hat. Bought it some time in the early 80's. Lol, still has his has plastered inside the crown. Don't think it has any pin. It's dark grey with a black band.

Top Bottom