What's new

Ordered my first Boar Brush

I ordered my first boar hair brush yesterday. I've been using fine badger for a few years now and never tried boar. I ordered the Omega 10029 aka Baby Professional. I was debating on this or the Omega Pro 48. Now I'm kind of regretting my purchase. I'm thinking I should've just went with the Pro 48 because everyone loves it. I face lather and my concern was it was going to be way too big. I don't have big hands or face. Has anyone used the 10029?

Thanks

I haven't used the 10029 but I do have a number of Omega boar brushes in my rotation. I have the 10049 Loft 59mm Knot 27 Handle 64 which is a bit smaller than the 10048 and although I love it for bowl lathering I think it is too big for face lathering.

My favourite brush for face lathering is the 11137 Loft 52 Knot 24 handle 58 and I would call it a medium sized brush. So your 10029 Loft 46 Knot 24 Handle 53 is a pretty similar in size except with a shorter loft which should give it a bit more backbone and make it feel a little more scrubby on the face.

So I would say of the two you made the right choice.

I haven't used the 10029 but I do have a number of Omega boar brushes in my rotation. I have the 10049 Loft 59mm Knot 27 Handle 64 which is a bit smaller than the 10048 and although I love it for bowl lathering I think it is too big for face lathering.

My favourite brush for face lathering is the 11137 Loft 52 Knot 24 handle 58 and I would call it a medium sized brush. So your 10029 Loft 46 Knot 24 Handle 53 is a pretty similar in size except with a shorter loft which should give it a bit more backbone and make it feel a little more scrubby on the face.

So I would say of the two you made the right choice.
awesome! thanks for the reassurance.

I've got the 10098 with a 27mm knot and 65mm loft. Believe it or not, it works fine for face lathering. I originally bought it to use as a neck duster during haircuts but I tried using it for shaving and it's surprisingly easy to use. Don't let the larger brushes scare you off, they can be quite nimble and responsive. I think it's one of those things that work fine as long as you don't over think them. Now, whether or not it'll have the backbone and splay you're looking for, that's a different issue.

Congratulations, Omegas are superb across the entire size range. You have a lovely brush coming, give it a chance to break in and I'm sure you will love it.

Let us know how you get on when the brush turns up.
Will do. Expecting it today.
Congratulations, Omegas are superb across the entire size range. You have a lovely brush coming, give it a chance to break in and I'm sure you will love it.
Thanks. I'm debating on breaking it in like people suggest online with soap and leaving it in water for 24 hours and rubbing it in a dry towel or just breaking it in by just using it

Will do. Expecting it today.

Thanks. I'm debating on breaking it in like people suggest online with soap and leaving it in water for 24 hours and rubbing it in a dry towel or just breaking it in by just using it
I've done them all, it all works , none will hurt, mostly now I just shave with a new boar and fixate on some other aspect of shaving. I have a new Semogue 820 on the way and can't wait to lather up.

I usually lather, rinse and towel buff new boars each day until I think they're ready. I'll use it in rotation for shaving but still lather it up when using other brushes. Everyone has their own preference though so, however you're comfortable breaking it in is the right way.

I use the basic 10005 in my rotation and it's amply large for face lathering and handles hard puck soaps like Williams like a champ. Honestly, I don't think you need the larger Pro series knots unless you really want one for whatever reason.

BTW: All these Omega brushes have a break-in period. You can accelerate it a little, but it still needs a bunch of wet/dry cycles to come into its own.

My routine looks like this:

1) Wet the bruch, build a lather and let it dry overnight with the lather still in the brush. Rinse out and repeat the next night.

2) Stand the brush, bristles down, in a class of water 1/4" shy of the handle. Twice each day (before and after work for me), take it out and swirl the brush around on an old piece of denim with similar pressure to doing a face lather. Do it for 4 or 5 minutes, then back in the glass of water.

3) Let the brush dry completely for a good 48 hours or more.

4) Put the brush into regular use and it will get progressively better, but I've found the above procedure does shorten the time to get it ready for steady usage.

What you are looking to do it create split ends on the hairs, and while you can start this on some hairs, it takes months of honest use to optimize the fraying.

Once broken in... as good as any of my badgers, though in different ways.

Got my brush yesterday. I've been doing some various breaking in techniques but I'm kind of impatient. I just want to start using it. Plus I know it'll take time more than anything. It lathered up in my hand real nice. Tomorrow night will be my first shave using it.

Finished first shave with the Omega 10029. I for sure feel the difference between my old badger and this new boar. I love the back bone on the boar and for sure feel the scratch on my face. I think I needed to keep the brush more wet to get the lather more slick but I dont think thats the brush’s fault. I’m excited to keep using this and breaking it in more.

Yes boar brushes are a different beast to badger brushes, to state the obvious. You may already be doing this but people commonly soak a boar brush in warm tending to hot water for some minutes before lathering. How much or how little water is subsequently squeezed or shaken out of the brush is a matter of preference depending on which lathering technique is used.

I drip a little hot water over the soap a few minutes prior to then loading up the brush and found this helps my brush to take up the soap more generously. And then I add more water while building the lather as required.

Yes boar brushes are a different beast to badger brushes, to state the obvious. You may already be doing this but people commonly soak a boar brush in warm tending to hot water for some minutes before lathering. How much or how little water is subsequently squeezed or shaken out of the brush is a matter of preference depending on which lathering technique is used.

I drip a little hot water over the soap a few minutes prior to then loading up the brush and found this helps my brush to take up the soap more generously. And then I add more water while building the lather as required.
I think I need to add more water while building the lather. Just feels too thick instead of slick

That's pretty much how I always use my brushes, regardless of the type of bristles. I soak them while brushing my teeth (along with a little water on the soap for blooming), then shake out as much water into the sink as possible - until I don't hear the drops hitting the basin. Then I load the brush, adding in whatever water is needed to get a fully loaded brush. Then I moved to my lather bowl (or face) and add small amounts of water as needed until it hits the consistency I'm looking for.

Each brush and soap requires a different amount of water to hit that ideal performance. To me, it's easier to start with a slightly damp (but "empty") brush and lightly bloomed soap, then add water a little at a time while building my lather - roughly a 1/4 teaspoon using my cupped hand. It's a lot easier than trying to remember how much water each particular brush/soap combination needs to hit the sweet spot.

Top Bottom