What's new

Ordered a Ralf Aust! (Again)

I just got my bonus after not getting one last year. With the € to $ rate right now, I couldn't resist: I went ahead and ordered a Ralf Aust that I have been eyeing for a year plus. This will be my third RA, and second one that I ordered direct.

Product information "7/8" razor with Spanish crown"
  • razor 7/8"
  • blade with Spanish crown
  • mirror finish
  • special carbon steel
  • scale handmade from selected colorful horn
I believe it has serrations top and bottom - LOL!

[Edit: Adding RA photo]
1647137794409.png

Last edited:
Ralf certainly makes some beautiful SR's. Mine is similar but with an American (square) point and the toe was kept pointy, just the way I like it. Mine is without jimps.

"Ralf certainly makes some beautiful SR's." That's true. My problem is: I made the mistake of ordering direct from him one time and loved it. Then I had to have this one. Soon enough, I will be configuring another one in and putting it in my cart.

Personally I prefer the rounded toe. I seem to have less accidents with it. I certainly understand why some like the square toe better. Beautiful razor!

I just got my bonus after not getting one last year. With the € to $ rate right now, I couldn't resist: I went ahead and ordered a Ralf Aust that I have been eyeing for a year plus. This will be my third RA, and second one that I ordered direct.

• razor 7/8"
  • mirror finish
  • special carbon steel

[Edit: Adding RA photo]
Great looking razor. I'm sure it will be great. Spending USD in the Eurozone is definitely worthwhile currently, especially being VAT exempt too. I have been tempted by the 6/8 version of the same razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Great looking razor. I'm sure it will be great. Spending USD in the Eurozone is definitely worthwhile currently, especially being VAT exempt too. I have been tempted by the 6/8 version of the same razor.
Ralf measures his blade width from the top of the spine wear area. This means that his 6/8 SR's are more like ⅞. If you want a 6/8, consider getting one of his ⅝.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

• razor 7/8"
  • mirror finish
  • special carbon steel

[Edit: Adding RA photo] View attachment 1423042

Ralf certainly makes some beautiful SR's. Mine is similar but with an American (square) point and the toe was kept pointy, just the way I like it. Mine is without jimps.

Interesting. I just measured my 6/8 (olive wood) and it is definitely close to 7/8, if not there. I thought it was kind of wide for 6/8 all these times I have been using it.
proxy.php
You guys are killing me here. I don't have the guts or the steady hand required to use a straight razor. But man.... they are sure beautiful. i told my wife, I'd love to have a few around just to admire. I won't try to describe the look she gave me. ;)

I'm very happy with my current shaving set up... Claymore Evolution AC single edge... but I sure am enjoying your straights vicariously..... thx so much, seriously... what fun...

You guys are killing me here. I don't have the guts or the steady hand required to use a straight razor. But man.... they are sure beautiful. i told my wife, I'd love to have a few around just to admire. I won't try to describe the look she gave me. ;)

I'm very happy with my current shaving set up... Claymore Evolution AC single edge... but I sure am enjoying your straights vicariously..... thx so much, seriously... what fun...
If you're already using AC blades you could pick up a CJB which I believe is a Feather DX clone, they're around $25. Get your hand in the game, so to speak. Then you can buy a few straights with the intention of using them.

If you're already using AC blades you could pick up a CJB which I believe is a Feather DX clone, they're around $25. Get your hand in the game, so to speak. Then you can buy a few straights with the intention of using them.
Yep and the Feather Pro-Guard blades are so safe, if you stretch your skin correctly, that I don't think you can slice cut yourself with one! I don't like them only because they make me lazy with my technique. If you treat them like your life depends on it, you won't have a problem.

C'mon, jump in the pool! The water is fine...

happy palm trees GIF

My first SR and still one of my favorites: Ralf Aust 6/8 Roundpoint with horn scales.

IMG_1920.jpeg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm sorry I responded to this thread.... you guys are not nice... trying to get a guy hooked on Straight Razors.... In two years, i will have remortgaged my house and will be living on the streets.
No you won't. SR shaving is cheap. I doubt that I spend much more than about USD 5k a year on it. That's a little over 60 SR's and other related shaving gear 😁.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hope you know I was joking around. However, I did find places like this: https://grownmanshave.com/collections/straight-razor

Such beautiful tools. I installed kitchens for years, along with lots of other remodeling, for a living for about 1/3 of my working years. I'm now retired but I still have all my tools. They were an investment at the time, but I love the feel of a quality tool. They just fit in your hand better than the cheap stuff. Talk about a rabbit hole.. or several. Planes, hammers.... two of my obsessions.

• razor 7/8"
  • mirror finish
  • special carbon steel

[Edit: Adding RA photo] View attachment 1423042
Now that’s one fine looking razor!

Top Bottom