What's new

Orange Layer Days?

The full heat of Summer is upon the territories and it's time to enjoy the fragrance of the morning shave before having to dash out into the 98 degree oven. So I searched through my QED shaving sticks and pulled out these appealing fragrances.
  • Bergamot
  • Grapefruit and Peppermint
  • Tangerine and Spearmint
  • Wild Orange
Yesterday was Earl Grey day! Yes, the 5-methoxypsoralen (at least it was naturally occuring) was probably ravaging my uv barriers, but what the hey? :blush: Great fragrance and finished the shave off with C&M Number 6 ASB and spray EdC.
Today was Wild Orange.. This stuff must be dangerous somehow. It smells too good to not be. Topped this off with QED Peppermint Hydrosol and DR Harris Traditional Cologne. Ooooo eeeeee! (Previous sound for displaced cajuns) Watch out hot weather, here comes the orange creamsicle!:tongue_sm
Which will it be tomorrow? Any suggestions?

letterk said:
Saint Charles Shave Orange Sorbet has been getting a lot of play at my home.
Sue's stainless bowl looked like a nice thing to have. Wasn't that the soap she marketed in it?

Well, Ron...

1) QEDman Wild Orange w/ Musgo Real No. 1
2) QEDman Grapefruit & Peppermint w/ M&L Florida Water
3) QEDman Tangerine & Spearmint w/ 4711

I can't speak to #1 from experience, but I've already notified Charles that once my August shaving budget kicks in, I'll be ordering a Progress razor, QED Wild Orange soap, and Musgo Real No. 1.

Today was a great shave for me with the maiden voyage of my QEDman Peppermint, followed by Nivea Cooling ASB and M&L Florida Water (hence #2).

Funny you used Bergamot yesterday; I'm breaking in my new QED Bergamot tomorrow. (I'll stay out of the sun.) Not sure what kind of frag I'll be able to put with it, though. T&H West Indian Limes is my only citrus for now, so that'll have to be it.

Caswell Massey No. 6 is high on my wish list. Anything that's been around since 1789 you have to try for the conversation factor alone.

Orange you lucky, with all your options!

Cheers,
Doug

DEF said:
Well, Ron...

I can't speak to #1 from experience, but I've already notified Charles that once my August shaving budget kicks in, I'll be ordering a Progress razor, QED Wild Orange soap, and Musgo Real No. 1.

Today was a great shave for me with the maiden voyage of my QEDman Peppermint, followed by Nivea Cooling ASB and M&L Florida Water (hence #2).

Funny you used Bergamot yesterday; I'm breaking in my new QED Bergamot tomorrow. (I'll stay out of the sun.) Not sure what kind of frag I'll be able to put with it, though. T&H West Indian Limes is my only citrus for now, so that'll have to be it.

Caswell Massey No. 6 is high on my wish list. Anything that's been around since 1789 you have to try for the conversation factor alone.

Cheers,
Doug
Hey Doug,
Thanks for the Musgo reminder! Forgot all about it sitting there on the counter. I have the Florida Water and also the Hoyts. Either with the Grapefruit and Peppermint. Thanks,you've gotten me through this very difficult time!:thumbup:

DEF said:
Well, Ron...

Cheers,
Doug

Hey Doug...if you don't have QED Limes then I would suggest adding that to your next order as well...since you enjoy the T&H West Indian Limes I have no doubt that you will love the QED Limes...

Hey, Bob --

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I do have the QED lime and love it. I have seven QED varieites and think they're all excellent, but my very favorites seem to be the snappier ones -- lime, lavender, bergamot, and peppermint.

Thanks,
Doug

guenron said:
Sue's stainless bowl looked like a nice thing to have. Wasn't that the soap she marketed in it?

Ron,

I have the orange sorbet( the real creamsicle) in the stainless and just got the cool lime in the stainless also!

the bowls are great-enoiugh room to work up a lather and they aren't slippery(like I feared they would be). plus, stainless goes with everything!

The only drawback is that they are used for the shave of the month, so check with saint sue to see if she has any orange sorbet left- if not, get the cool lime ( which I can vouch for!)- it's july's soap of the month.

Marty

guenron said:

Yes. She offers her scents of the month in the SS bowl. They're very nice. Lots of room to work in. And probably more soap than the wood bowl.

hi guys,

quick question on the use of the sticks. i understand the larger soaps and the creams, but the sticks are totally different shape and pose a different challenge. i can see the benefits of having a smaller size of soap/cream thus allowing you to get a larger variety of soaps to fit the feeling of the day/month so im interested in the following question.

how exactly do u go about apply the stick soap to the brush inorder to lather up in the bowl? is it as simple as just spinning the brush over the smaller diameter stick top at different angles to hit all tips of the brush?

thanks for helping a beginner

jscott said:
hi guys,

quick question on the use of the sticks. i understand the larger soaps and the creams, but the sticks are totally different shape and pose a different challenge. i can see the benefits of having a smaller size of soap/cream thus allowing you to get a larger variety of soaps to fit the feeling of the day/month so im interested in the following question.

how exactly do u go about apply the stick soap to the brush inorder to lather up in the bowl? is it as simple as just spinning the brush over the smaller diameter stick top at different angles to hit all tips of the brush?

thanks for helping a beginner
Howdy J,
You may wish to read this. Scotto took the time to document his particular propinquity.. You can use this as a point of departure to develop your own style or approach.
One thing that is really nice about the QED Stick is how they simplify travel for the wet shaver. Another nice thing is how through the use of multiple fragrances you can whip up your own zesty fragrance treats for a shave... For example chocolate and peppermint sticks used together... The opportunity for experimentation is grand.

Hey Doug!
QED Tangerine and Spearmint and the Musgo #1.. All I can say is WOW! It was like a whip crack when the fragrance mix struck! WOW, but I repeat myself.:tongue_sm

Ron --

Glad it clicked! Can't wait for my "allowance" to renew so I can follow suit!

Now we just need to find the soap that goes with Musgo No. 2.

Based on descriptions, I'm guessing QED Frankincense & Myrrh will go well with No. 3, but that's not until cooler weather hits.

By the way, if you had to choose between Musgo No. 1 and Caswell-Massey No. 6, which would you take?

Cheers,
Doug

ron,

thanks for the link to the other posting on the comparisons of "stick techniques". answered my questions there within.

guess ill continue to use the tubs for a while longer as im learning the entire process and what exactly is great lather. then i will make the switch inorder to increase the variety of daily choices while keeping the cost down.

thanks again,

~J

DEF said:
Ron --

Glad it clicked! Can't wait for my "allowance" to renew so I can follow suit!

Now we just need to find the soap that goes with Musgo No. 2.

Based on descriptions, I'm guessing QED Frankincense & Myrrh will go well with No. 3, but that's not until cooler weather hits.

By the way, if you had to choose between Musgo No. 1 and Caswell-Massey No. 6, which would you take?Cheers,
Doug
Both! One can never have enough citrus-based (particularly orange) colognes. Add in DR Harris Traditional too.. Such delightful decisions..:tongue_sm

Top Bottom