What's new

Optimum Short Barrel length for .300 Black Out?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is the optimum barrel length for a .300 Blackout for use in a PDW/Pistol/SBR for suppressor use? I've heard that 10 in. is optimum, but I know there are 7.5 in. versions. What say you?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think most would recommend 10-10 1/2 for gas regulation without suppression, but with, 7.5 probably just fine also.

Edit: I’m thinking.556, you said 300 Blackout. I dunno.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Article said they think 9 inch for .300 gives same ballistics as .556 14”.
Yes, but it also states:
"Shooters who prefer shooting subsonic loads with a suppressor more often (and who want greater accuracy) will enjoy a slight benefit by investing in a 10.5″ barrel instead."

OkieStubble

Definitely makes sense. 200 grains of silent hog hunting sounds cool. All you’re gonna hear is the thud. :)

I built one with a 7.5 inch barrel and use a Liberty Mystic suppressor on it. Function is perfect and with subsonic loads all I hear is the bolt working and then the bullet hitting the target.

I have another 16 inch upper that I use a AAC 7.62SD on and its long enough to be a little unwieldy and subsonic rounds often go super due to the longer barrel length and higher velocity.

The .300 is a handy little cartridge and a short barrel with a can is a lot of fun.

What is the 300 blackout useful for? I saw sub sonic, is it that slow? Jody

You can use either sub or super sonic rounds but I "think" the cartridge was designed for suppressor use and has no more recoil than a 5.56 caliber.

Supersonic rounds are very capable hunting or self defense choices and the sonic crack (with suppressor) they make sounds much like a .22 rimfire round to me.

There are a couple of bullet designs for the .300 that are touted to expand for hunting use but I have not personally tried them. The suppressed subsonic loads are extremely quiet and great for target practice without any hearing loss or disturbing the neighbors etc.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is the 300 blackout useful for? I saw sub sonic, is it that slow? Jody
Developed to work in the M4 platform as a more effective round than the suppressed 9mm subsonic and as a supersonic round, the ballistic equivalent of the 7.62 x 39.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thinking real hard about a pistol/SBR build. Prolly gonna buy a stripped lower and send in a Form 1. It will take me a good while to build it out, give plenty of time for the Form 1 to process.

OkieStubble

Thinking real hard about a pistol/SBR build. Prolly gonna buy a stripped lower and send in a Form 1. It will take me a good while to build it out, give plenty of time for the Form 1 to process.

Rock River's dual stage is a great trigger priced very reasonable. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Rock River's dual stage is a great trigger priced very reasonable. :)

Thanks, I'll look into it! It will be a challenge not to make this a high end build, but at the same time I don't want to go too cheap, or I'll just replace parts with more expensive ones if I'm not satisfied with just "OK" components.

OkieStubble

Thanks, I'll look into it! It will be a challenge not to make this a high end build, but at the same time I don't want to go too cheap, or I'll just replace parts with more expensive ones if I'm not satisfied with just "OK" components.

I hear ya. I think an SBR or pistol shoots better with a 2-stage and the RR is cheaper then Geissele.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was thinking Geissele, just because I want one and I might want to put one in another of my ARs. I also want the pistol/SBR to look really nice, not just another black rifle. Not that you'd really see the trigger. But of course function is everything, appearance is secondary.

OkieStubble

I was thinking Geissele, just because I want one and I might want to put one in another of my ARs. I also want the pistol/SBR to look really nice, not just another black rifle. Not that you'd really see the trigger. But of course function is everything, appearance is secondary.

Well, Rock River has a really good 2 stage, but it isn't Geissele good for sure.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm troubled by some recent reviews I saw on the Brownells site re: RR trigger, while some were very positive, others noted some lapses in QC, unfinished parts, breakage, etc. I'd rather buy once, cry once. But thanks for the tip anyways.

Top Bottom