What's new

Optimal synthetic knot that excels at bowl lathering and face painting?

No, but I’ve only heard great things about those knots.

I figured I’d end up with one of Rudy’s brushes one day. We’ve chatted several times but it hasn’t happened yet.

I don’t expect to add any additional synth brushes any time soon. 23 brushes should do. <eg>
I can tell you that the Shavemac I just got with the STF knot is the best brush I've ever used. I love this thing. I have an RV with this knot coming in the mail. I expect it will be everything I hoped it would be, based on my experience with the Shavemac.

I will second the Mühle STF. I’ve got the 23mm version and like it so much I’ve ordered the 25 as well. It’s soft, lathers great, and has unreal flow through.

I’m also waiting on a 24mm G5C so will be able to compare them shortly.

So after a few uses of all of the brushes I can say the 25mm STF is my favorite brush followed by the 23mm. The G5C isn’t a bad brush but both STFs are just hands down better.

So after a few uses of all of the brushes I can say the 25mm STF is my favorite brush followed by the 23mm. The G5C isn’t a bad brush but both STFs are just hands down better.
Thanks for reporting on this (particularly the G5C comparison). I am still down handle style rabbit holes but plan to pick up the 25mm STF

I haven't yet found a synthetic that doesn/t excel in building lather or applying it. Spendy brand names don't work any better, but only lighten your wallet.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't yet found a synthetic that doesn/t excel in building lather or applying it. Spendy brand names don't work any better, but only lighten your wallet.
I don't have a problem getting any brush I've owned to lather and from there, to get the lather on my face but to say they all feel the same would be inaccurate, in my view. I definitely like using some brushes more than others.

Well, apparently the G5A and G5C fibers are made in Germany, but the knots are tied in China. The Shavemac knots have German fibers tied by Shavemac or Muhle. Whether the fibers are the same, I don't know. They look very close, for sure. All I can say is that both have soft tips, both hold water and soap extremely well, but the Shavemac is denser and works a little better on my face.

G5A vs STF 1.JPG
G5A vs STF 2.JPG

AP Shave Co. G5A on left in blue and on top (2nd pic). The Shavemac is on the right in butterscotch and on the bottom (2nd pic).

Notice the Shavemac tips are white and the loft is a little more.

Top Bottom