What's new

Opinions wanted on custom replacement blades for exceptional scales

I got my hands on a pair of what I think are remarkably beautiful tortoiseshell-scaled razors. Here’s one of them after a phenomenal restore by Alfredo:
$20150620_123256.jpg.png

Unfortunately, Alfredo delivered the news that the razors couldn’t be returned to use, as the edges are too pitted to ever get to good steel. So, what to do? One option is to let them be and display as-is, but since the blades don't look all that great with the hone/toe wear, I’ve decided I want to get replacements done and use these razors. The trick now is deciding what I want the blades to look like. Do I just go with something similar to the originals, or get one French point and one square point made, for example, or go some other route?

I'm wondering what the good folks of B&B think would make a good blade shape for the replacements.

Incidentally, the scales look quite similar to some pictures I found elsewhere in the forum (see below) I wonder if mine were stubtails at some point in the past? A clue pointing that way is that the blade protrudes from the bottom of the scales on one of my razors, possibly indicating it replaced something else that originally fit better.

$photo1-5.jpgView attachment 590925

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Beautiful scales Tim. What is the largest blade that will fit, and not protrude? The scales get skinny there toward the end.

Why not try and find a period correct blade that has un-savable scales? I had a pre 1800's blade and it's taken me nine months waiting but I've got a set of pre 1800's ivory scales in the post.

Why not try and find a period correct blade that has un-savable scales? I had a pre 1800's blade and it's taken me nine months waiting but I've got a set of pre 1800's ivory scales in the post.

+1, I think you should find something from the same era that would fit well. A modern custom, although it could be very nice, just won't be the same on those insane-old-freakin-crazy-awesome-beautiful-classic scales ;)

Totally agree with Alfredo,
My only concern here is that these scales are really awful.:001_cool::001_cool::w00t::w00t:
i would help you trashing them if you wish. Just ship them my way, I'll make an effort ...:lol:

My goodness, you don't know how much I like these scales !!!! Congrats for the finding and please post pictures when you'll be done with the blade.

I think a pair of small, period, stub tail wedges would be ideal. While you hunt for these, perhaps a couple of #12s or #13s will fit in the mean time?

Beautiful scales Tim. What is the largest blade that will fit, and not protrude? The scales get skinny there toward the end.
I don't have the scales handy; they're off to a bladesmith who I hope can help with this dilemma. But basically, like Doc said, they're going to need to be 'wedgy' to keep from resting too deeply in the scales.

+1, I think you should find something from the same era that would fit well. A modern custom, although it could be very nice, just won't be the same on those insane-old-freakin-crazy-awesome-beautiful-classic scales ;)
I hadn't thought of this; actually it's a pretty good idea. I'll weigh what can be made against the likelihood of finding what I need.

Totally agree with Alfredo,
My only concern here is that these scales are really awful.:001_cool::001_cool::w00t::w00t:
i would help you trashing them if you wish. Just ship them my way, I'll make an effort ...:lol:

My goodness, you don't know how much I like these scales !!!! Congrats for the finding and please post pictures when you'll be done with the blade.
I'd consider shipping your way, but I think it's against the law to ship tortoiseshell--sorry! I'll be sure to post pictures whenever the project is done.

I think a pair of small, period, stub tail wedges would be ideal. While you hunt for these, perhaps a couple of #12s or #13s will fit in the mean time?
I'm leaning towards a similar plan; getting something made for now, and maybe adding period blades later. We'll see.

You should just put some branded GD blades in there. :lol:
No comment. :001_smile

Thanks for all the ideas guys; I really appreciate it!

You should just put some branded GD blades in there. :lol:
Actually, I'd take this idea seriously. There is enough metal in a GD to shape the blade anyway you want it. I am sure Seraphim could make something that would have a lot more character than the original blade ever had.

Top Bottom