What's new

Opinions Sought- Should I Paint the Socket?

Earlier this week I got the itch to spin up my lathe, so I decided to make a brush handle. I had an oversized acrylic bottle stopper blank on hand, and this is what I came up with:

$Photo (3).jpg

$Photo (5).jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out, particularly since I pretty much winged it on the design.

What's given me pause is the essentially transparent ferrule. Should I paint its interior? If so, what color? Or would it look better as is, just set the knot and not worry about the innards being visible?

I'm looking forward to your recommendations. Thanks much!​

Earlier this week I got the itch to spin up my lathe, so I decided to make a brush handle. I had an oversized acrylic bottle stopper blank on hand, and this is what I came up with:

I'm happy with how it turned out, particularly since I pretty much winged it on the design.

What's given me pause is the essentially transparent ferrule. Should I paint its interior? If so, what color? Or would it look better as is, just set the knot and not worry about the innards being visible?

I'm looking forward to your recommendations. Thanks much!

Since i haven't restored any brushes (or made any, i am working on two at the moment), my opinion will not weigh much. But i have to say, that i really like that handle. About the bolded/underlined, i think that's what makes the handle awesome. i say leave it alone, set the knot and lather up.

Great job Jim!

Since i haven't restored any brushes (or made any, i am working on two at the moment), my opinion will not weigh much. But i have to say, that i really like that handle. About the bolded/underlined, i think that's what makes the handle awesome. i say leave it alone, set the knot and lather up.

Great job Jim!

Thanks, George! I value your opinion, so it carries plenty of weight with me.

Wonderful handle. Nice work on the turning job.

If it were perfectly translucent, without the nice swirly stuff, I might suggest some dark paint -- black. But, with the natural randomness of the swirls, I'd be inclined to set the knot without any paint. I wonder if you can get an epoxy that will dry almost clear.

I'm eager to see how this turns out.

Zero experience here, but I think the handle looks great! I would set the knot without painting the inside of the ferrule. If you don't like the way it looks, you could always paint the outside or fit a metal band around it. Either way, you gotta let us see it when it's done!

How about setting your knot in there without any adhesive to see how it looks and then decide. If you do go unpainted just realize that bubbles in the adhesive might drive you nuts as the handle is stunning and a small imperfection could detract from your hard work

I'd be concerned that the glue would not stick properly with the surface painted.

Maybe a SUBTLE tint mixed in with the epoxy to add a bit of color to the glue itself?

I would paint it white, then pair it with a super finest (tgn) the tips are whiter than their normal finest. I just think the epoxy bubbles would distract from the beautiful job you did on the handle, and white would pair well with the knot. Either way, show us what you have done! Nice job!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I think I'd paint it but I would slip colored paper in the hole like a paint chip to see what color looked best. Great looking handle, nice job!

. . .

If it were perfectly translucent, without the nice swirly stuff, I might suggest some dark paint -- black. But, with the natural randomness of the swirls, I'd be inclined to set the knot without any paint. I wonder if you can get an epoxy that will dry almost clear.

. . .

Thanks. If I decide to paint it a dark color, I'd probably go with a dark shade of brown to complement the dark swirls in the acrylic. There are epoxies that dry almost clear. I've been using Loctite, and when fully cured, it's almost clear, but with a slight amber tone.

. . . I would set the knot without painting the inside of the ferrule. If you don't like the way it looks, you could always paint the outside or fit a metal band around it. Either way, you gotta let us see it when it's done!

Thanks much. I hadn't thought about painting the outside or banding it-- interesting ideas. I did consider (after I'd finished polishing the handle and removing it from the lathe, naturally) texturing the banded portion of the ferrule in the manner AceByTerror does on many of his handles. However, he knows what he's doing; me, not so much. I think a checker pattern as seen on gun stocks might've looked pretty good. Too late now for that, so I'm not going to worry about it.

How about setting your knot in there without any adhesive to see how it looks and then decide. If you do go unpainted just realize that bubbles in the adhesive might drive you nuts as the handle is stunning and a small imperfection could detract from your hard work

Thanks, Dave. The only knot I have on hand is a small pure badger, probably 16mm, that I harvested from an old Ever-Ready (all it took was a gentle tug and it came out intact), and I set it in the ferrule to get a general idea of how it might appear. As I drilled this handle for a 24mm knot, the vintage knot was just too small to provide a decent visual. I'll definitely dry fit the knot I've ordered when it arrives.

You've identified very succinctly my principal concern about leaving the ferrule unpainted. I know there's no way to prevent bubbles or other anomalies from the epoxy showing, and there's no way to know whether those detract or add character until the deed is done.

I'd be concerned that the glue would not stick properly with the surface painted.

Maybe a SUBTLE tint mixed in with the epoxy to add a bit of color to the glue itself?

Thanks, Rich. Actually, I've painted several Lucite handle ferrules and haven't yet had a problem, although I know others have. I think it helps not to overly polish the interior of the ferrule, giving the paint a fighting chance to adhere well.

Tinting the epoxy is a potentially attractive option. I'm going to give that some thought while I'm awaiting delivery of my knot.

. . .

I think I would paint it to hide the epoxy & knot plug.

I would paint it white, then pair it with a super finest (tgn) the tips are whiter than their normal finest. I just think the epoxy bubbles would distract from the beautiful job you did on the handle, and white would pair well with the knot. . . .

Thanks, guys. If I decide to paint it a light color, a slightly off-white likely would be my choice. The blank I turned the handle from was labelled Pralines and Cream, but to my eye the light swirls in the acrylic tend more towards white than cream.

Incidentally, the knot I decided on is a 24mm TGN F2 2-band Finest.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks. If I decide to paint it a dark color, I'd probably go with a dark shade of brown to complement the dark swirls in the acrylic. There are epoxies that dry almost clear. I've been using Loctite, and when fully cured, it's almost clear, but with a slight amber tone.

Thanks much. I hadn't thought about painting the outside or banding it-- interesting ideas. I did consider (after I'd finished polishing the handle and removing it from the lathe, naturally) texturing the banded portion of the ferrule in the manner AceByTerror does on many of his handles. However, he knows what he's doing; me, not so much. I think a checker pattern as seen on gun stocks might've looked pretty good. Too late now for that, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks, Dave. The only knot I have on hand is a small pure badger, probably 16mm, that I harvested from an old Ever-Ready (all it took was a gentle tug and it came out intact), and I set it in the ferrule to get a general idea of how it might appear. As I drilled this handle for a 24mm knot, the vintage knot was just too small to provide a decent visual. I'll definitely dry fit the knot I've ordered when it arrives.

You've identified very succinctly my principal concern about leaving the ferrule unpainted. I know there's no way to prevent bubbles or other anomalies from the epoxy showing, and there's no way to know whether those detract or add character until the deed is done.

Thanks, Rich. Actually, I've painted several Lucite handle ferrules and haven't yet had a problem, although I know others have. I think it helps not to overly polish the interior of the ferrule, giving the paint a fighting chance to adhere well.

Tinting the epoxy is a potentially attractive option. I'm going to give that some thought while I'm awaiting delivery of my knot.

Thanks, guys. If I decide to paint it a light color, a slightly off-white likely would be my choice. The blank I turned the handle from was labelled Pralines and Cream, but to my eye the light swirls in the acrylic tend more towards white than cream.

Incidentally, the knot I decided on is a 24mm TGN F2 2-band Finest.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. I truly appreciate it.

$uploadfromtaptalk1396205418571.jpg
Just to give you color Idea. F2 is on the left, and super finest is on the right.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is what my unprainted one looks like...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396207737.298759.jpg

As you can see, there are air bubbles, so if you tint the epoxy you will still get bubbles. This is standard two part marine epoxy.

Last edited:
I think I'd paint it but I would slip colored paper in the hole like a paint chip to see what color looked best. Great looking handle, nice job!

That's a great idea-- thanks! I'd thought about painting some strips of paper, but your suggestion is better and easier. My next trip to one of the big box stores I'll pick up a bunch of those paint color cards.

Top Bottom