What's new

Opinions sought: best strop width for a newbie.

Best strop width for a newbie to use?

• 2"

• 2.5"

• 3"

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would go with a 3 inch because it's more difficult to nick it. Hanging it higher will reduce the chances of cutting the strop, at least in my experience.

Legion

Staff member
2"

That will teach you the muscle memory of doing a correct X stroke. For your second strop you may want to get a 2.5" (that is what I normally use), but it will not work any better than the 2", since will already have good technique.

I'll just throw this out there - it's very easy to get 2 and 3 inch replacement parts for a strop. And cheap too. The 2.5 is just a bit more of a challange. Just saying - as a noob you might want to look into that.

I just posted a similar response about this, but I started with a 3" strop and I wish I wouldn't have. It has really hurt my technique. I would go 2" or maybe 2.5". Will make you use proper technique and it will be less likely to cup on you. Plus you are going to nick it up, so might as well go with a cheaper option.

Best one for a newbie is one that can be hacked and chopped to death. :death:

I use nothing but 3s, but started on a 2.5. Started using it stretched on the counter so I didn't hack it up as much and to develop a good X stroke motion. Once I had mastered stropping without hacking I passed it on to another newb.

Also I would say a cheap one. I destroyed my first one for the most part and it was only about 2" but it allowed me to learn a good x-stroke.

Top Bottom