What's new

Opinions on Wilkinson Sword Classics?

Hey fellas wanted to know your opinion on the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades made in Germany. Just watched Paulhfilms video on some of his favorite blades and he said it's one of his favorites. He had blades ordered from sharpest to mildest and I was surprised that he actually put this below derby in terms of sharpness. Didn't know any blades out there where less sharp than Derby's 😂. I actually get decent shaves with Derby's in my Fatip and Gillette New Sc. It's not super close but very comfortable. My logic in getting them was to see if these where even smoother than Derby's in terms of not causing any razor burn,bumbs or ingrown hairs. Which I myself suffer from. I have course and think hair but derbys still get the job done with the right razor. Any thoughts from you guys? I'm thinking of shaving with these in a few days to test them out and will leave an update following my experience. I will also compare them with my derby blades.
20210915_205717.jpg

You are about to jump down a rabbit hole if you start looking. My primary blades are vintage Wilkis, as they are know, and I have some from every era including the newest German ones. I can answer any specific questions, and have before, but I can't write a treatise on them right now. Just be careful because they have a pretty thick coating of PTFE on them and they are VERY sharp underneath it. They can easily manage 4 comfortable shaves, but my beard wrecks the edge after that. Don't put any pressure, even if you think they aren't cutting!

You are about to jump down a rabbit hole if you start looking. My primary blades are vintage Wilkis, as they are know, and I have some from every era including the newest German ones. I can answer any specific questions, and have before, but I can't write a treatise on them right now. Just be careful because they have a pretty thick coating of PTFE on them and they are VERY sharp underneath it. They can easily manage 4 comfortable shaves, but my beard wrecks the edge after that. Don't put any pressure, even if you think they aren't cutting!
So why the love
for vintage Wilkis? Are they really that much better than the modern ones?

So why the love
for vintage Wilkis? Are they really that much better than the modern ones?
They really are. You have to realize that wet shaving was still being marketed to the "First World." Now, blades are made to a price point. Make no mistake, for the cost modern blades are really good. It takes some time to decide to get into vintage and most people don't. One of the big tells for me is looking at what my beard does to vintage blades vs modern blades. I toss a vintage blade when it gets dull, I toss a modern blade when it gets a damaged edge. If I accidentally shave with a blade that is damaged, even on the third shave, I can really get my neck chewed up. For me sharp is safe, but rolled edges are not. The thing is, my primary razor uses Artist Club blades and so my expectations for DE are much higher than modern blades can provide. It's not just sharpness either, I have and use Feathers. The thing is, some of these blades are nearly as sharp and last 6 smooth shaves with a barb wire beard. But then, some people can't digest spending a dollar per blade. It's about personal experience at the end of the day and one DE blade and one Artist Club blade equals just under $2 per week.

Ex
They really are. You have to realize that wet shaving was still being marketed to the "First World." Now, blades are made to a price point. Make no mistake, for the cost modern blades are really good. It takes some time to decide to get into vintage and most people don't. One of the big tells for me is looking at what my beard does to vintage blades vs modern blades. I toss a vintage blade when it gets dull, I toss a modern blade when it gets a damaged edge. If I accidentally shave with a blade that is damaged, even on the third shave, I can really get my neck chewed up. For me sharp is safe, but rolled edges are not. The thing is, my primary razor uses Artist Club blades and so my expectations for DE are much higher than modern blades can provide. It's not just sharpness either, I have and use Feathers. The thing is, some of these blades are nearly as sharp and last 6 smooth shaves with a barb wire beard. But then, some people can't digest spending a dollar per blade. It's about personal experience at the end of the day and one DE blade and one Artist Club blade equals just under $2 per week.
Hmmm interesting might buy a few vintage de blades just to test them out. Which do you recommend? My primary blades are Wizamet super Iridium and Persona Blue blades. Would like to see if I can really tell a difference.

Which do you recommend? My primary blades are Wizamet super Iridium and Persona Blue blades. Would like to see if I can really tell a difference.
Honestly with those blade, I am not certain you are going to notice a difference. Sometimes you can find vintage Wilkis on the Bay from an antique store for well under $1/blade including shipping. But, you would need some patience and not getting your expectations up. Maybe the "Made in England" ones that have packaging similar to modern ones for about 80 cents each total would be worth comparing to the "Made in Germany" ones. You already are using the most expensive modern blades and I can get 5 shaves out of a Med Prep, so I am not sure if this is worth bothering. I have some "Light Brigades" that, like Personna 74, are actually worth the cost. But, they are usually several dollars per blade. Just throwing things at the wall, good luck.

Honestly with those blade, I am not certain you are going to notice a difference. Sometimes you can find vintage Wilkis on the Bay from an antique store for well under $1/blade including shipping. But, you would need some patience and not getting your expectations up. Maybe the "Made in England" ones that have packaging similar to modern ones for about 80 cents each total would be worth comparing to the "Made in Germany" ones. You already are using the most expensive modern blades and I can get 5 shaves out of a Med Prep, so I am not sure if this is worth bothering. I have some "Light Brigades" that, like Personna 74, are actually worth the cost. But, they are usually several dollars per blade. Just throwing things at the wall, good luck.
Nah nah nah I see what you are doing here...YOUR TRYING TO KEEP ALL THE VINTAGE BLADES TO YOURSELF! You know there's a limited supply of Vintage De's and don't want me to get some 😝🤣

I hate the German Wilkis: they are harsh and tuggy no mater which razor I use. But I'm quite impressed with theirs razor: the black plastic one: a bang for the buck, for less than 2Euros.

Still on the Wilkis.... the indian Gillette Wikis became my goto blades: works wonderfull in all my razors,

+1! My experience as well: Vintage Wilkies are better!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkies and Astra Platinum are my top two blades.

I started DE shaving when the English made Wilkies were the only option in the shops, and used them exclusively for a decade, before their demise. When the switch to German made happened, I initially found them feeling rather unrefined, but used them exclusively for another decade. Again, the only option in local shops. I then got some of the English made ones again, earlier this year, and find I now prefer the German made ones.

Ex
Wilkies and Astra Platinum are my top two blades.

I started DE shaving when the English made Wilkies were the only option in the shops, and used them exclusively for a decade, before their demise. When the switch to German made happened, I initially found them feeling rather unrefined, but used them exclusively for another decade. Again, the only option in local shops. I then got some of the English made ones again, earlier this year, and find I now prefer the German made ones.
Honestly yeah I did have a shave with my Wilks and they seem to be comparable with the Astra's, Wizamet and my Persona lab blues. From what I see these seem to cut just as well but smoother at the same time. Once I experiment for a few times I'll decide which ones I keep and don't. So far Wilks are at the top right now just because they are smoother than my main blades and cut just as good but are less expensive overall. Wizamets are great but pretty pricey.

I have been using the modern German made Wilkinson sword classic blades for a few years now. With the exception of the occasional dud I've found them to be good blades that are about as sharp as Tiger Platinum blades. I used to think that the Tiger Platinums were smoother, but after recently changing my de collection back to Wilkinsons after almost exclusively using the Tigers I've not noticed much difference. When my stockpile of blades is finally depleted I currently plan on restocking the Wilkinsons as a control group and trying out a different brand.

I have been using the modern German made Wilkinson sword classic blades for a few years now. With the exception of the occasional dud I've found them to be good blades that are about as sharp as Tiger Platinum blades. I used to think that the Tiger Platinums were smoother, but after recently changing my de collection back to Wilkinsons after almost exclusively using the Tigers I've not noticed much difference. When my stockpile of blades is finally depleted I currently plan on restocking the Wilkinsons as a control group and trying out a different brand.
I honestly wanted to get Wilkinson's because the packaging looks cool 😂 So I wanted them to be good. They are pretty good so far. Just ordered a 100 pack of Nacets because they where so cheap but I'm giving half of them for my Dad. What do you think of those blades?

I honestly wanted to get Wilkinson's because the packaging looks cool 😂 So I wanted them to be good. They are pretty good so far. Just ordered a 100 pack of Nacets because they where so cheap but I'm giving half of them for my Dad. What do you think of those blades?

Alas I have only used Wilkinsons and Tiger Platinum blades due to never having developed blade acquisition dissorder.

Alas I have only used Wilkinsons and Tiger Platinum blades due to never having developed blade acquisition dissorder.
Lucky you! 😂 Thank God I'm really into vintage razors especially Gem/Ever Ready because I can get them so cheaply. Not had it at all with razor blades. I always keep 3 types of blades 1 super sharp(feathers), mid(Wizamets) and then mild blades(Derbys).

What do you think of those blades?
You didn't ask me, but be careful with those Nacets! They are as sharp as a Wilki after the coating is worn off, but right out of the box. Some people claim they are smooth, but that is because they cut so efficiently. They are a fairly basic stainless blade, just don't go past 3 or 4 shaves depending on your risk tolerance.

Top Bottom