What's new

Opinions on truck hood bug deflectors?

So THAT's what these things are for!

They puzzled me during my whole US vacation two years ago...

*slaps forehead*

Edit: Sorry for being OT.

I don't think they would be effective on the 2nd Gen Tacoma. The entire hood is in a low pressure zone... even if the scoops were functional, they would not "ram" air in.
Bugs happen. I had deflectors on my '03 Tundra and wife's '04 Rav4. I don't have one on my '08 Tacoma, and didn't have one on my Suburban or Blazer. No difference in the bugs on the windshield.
Some protection to the leading edge from rocks (no protection for the glass)... but that's offset by paint wear on the edge of the hood from the shield, and the hood on these trucks fits TIGHT on the headlights and grille.
If you have a color-matched grille, you're still going to have issues with paint chips.

I'm from Georgia, bug and truck country. They don't work any better than deer whistles. Meaning not really at all.
The awnings for your windows so you can leave them cracked in rain storms do work however.

Update...

Just read on another forum a guy bought the Toyota OEM unit and doesn't like it, but he's afraid to take it off to replace it with aftermarket.
Says the thin layer of 3M material that is supposed to protect the paint is wrinkled up, and it has metal clips riding on the paint.

I have one of these on an old 99 Chevy of mine. The one thing it did was stop stone chips from eating up the front of the hood and rusting prematurely. I can't say it ever did anything to bugs.

Helps with road rash at the least. I have several Weather Tech products and find then very well made and they fit perfectly.

The more vertical ones that we had on trucks back in the 80's WORKED. This aerodamic ones they sale today just keeps rock chips down and they don't do it well either.

I travel mostly highway miles. My deflector has deflected bugs, rocks and birds. I have installed them on all my previous Jeeps.

The more vertical ones that we had on trucks back in the 80's WORKED. This aerodamic ones they sale today just keeps rock chips down and they don't do it well either.

I had an upright deflector on a '74 Chevy pickup, the faster you went the better it worked. It was great on the Interstate.
I have an aerodynamic Weather Tech on my F150 now and it doesn't keep anything off of the windshield BUT IT LOOKS NICE !!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have one of these on an old 99 Chevy of mine. The one thing it did was stop stone chips from eating up the front of the hood and rusting prematurely. I can't say it ever did anything to bugs.

Completely agree. I have one on my 2003 Subaru Legacy, and it has saved the front lip of my hood from numerous rock dings.

If anyone is interested in protecting the hood and other front end parts from getting chipped up from stones and bugs, check out paint protection film from a company called XPEL http://www.xpel.com/

I've been a paint protection film installer since 2004. It can be a little pricy, depending on the vehicle and what you want covered, but the stuff seems to work great because I have many customers that have had cars done by me years ago and they bring their new cars back to me for more.

One thing about the plastic bug deflectors, If you decide to get one, buy it and try to install it yourself. I've seen alot of scratched and boogered up paint from poorly installed deflectors.

My '02 Tacoma had one on it when I bought it used. I drove it with it on for several months then took it off as I don't like the look. I haven't noticed any difference in bugs either way.

Top Bottom