What's new

Opinions on Treet black beauties?

Would love to hear other peoples opinions on Treet Carbon "Black Beauty" blades. Got a tuck a month ago as part of a huge sampler and fell in love. I'd previously been using Rapira super stainless (the oink and blue ones) and nothing had beaten them for me but these? Amazing! Get a nice, comfortable shave with them in my Yaqi final cut with a blade that ticks all the boxes for me.

I also don't feel as guilty tossing them after one shave as well since Carbon steel blades don't last as long

Would love to hear what others think

Here’s some reading to keep you busy while you wait for some posts:

I generally get along with carbon blades pretty well. I like the Black Beauties. Besides the cool appearance, I really like the feel of the blade. Granted, I probably wouldn't go past two shaves anymore. I don't do anything special to try to preserve the blade from rust or what not. Just rinse and shake dry.

To each their own, but I am not impressed by them. They degrade quickly for me. I get 2 shaves from them.
I think maybe using mainly stainless steel blades for so long, going back to the carbon blades is a problem. We're probably spoiled a bit, and can't remember the similar experiences with Gillette Blue blades back in the day. I popped a Treet blade in my Rocket HD this morning, and got a near BBS result. No nicks, cuts, or irritation, even on the neck area. Alum block had barely any feedback at all. Can't wait to see how many shaves may be possible, given that they appear to degrade rapidly. Does bring back memories of years gone by, shaving back in the 60's. When we lived with faster deterioration of the blade edges.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Initially I loved them I found them sharp and smooth. Of course once I got them by the 100s I’m not so impressed. I don’t find them that sharp. I thought that was due to randomly picking them when I had 2 or 3 days growth but after more use I don’t find them sharp. Based on the cost I thought I wouldn’t feel guilty tossing them after one shave (to solve the rust concern) but in practice that hasn’t worked out either. My inner cheapness won out there. All in all the extra worry about rust and not finding them that sharp has moved them to the back of the trunk.

Here’s some reading to keep you busy while you wait for some posts:

I have had this tab open already. I just have not yet had the opportunity to read completely through it. I fully intend to do so.

I have never used Treet blades before. Now I do have several of them I intend on trying for a week apiece this year. They are now set for random rotation.

I hope all are good blades. I hope that they all last for more than two shaves?

A $10/100 blade that lasts for two shaves might be a decent blade for those two shaves. But, not really a good deal when comparing it to a blade of the same price that lasts for a week of good shaves!

We shall see...

No and no. Some are good blades and some last more than two shaves. Few make the cut and you will be even more confused about all the different blades as you read the thread! 😬

Actually I am already confused. Treet is one of those companies that makes a zillion different blades and they keep changing them up all the time.

A member has recently gifted me a dozen different blades. Most of them were some flavor of Treet. I decided to take one of each and place them in this year's weekly blade rotation.

This should bring in some new blade experiences for me. They were random shuffled into this years weekly mix.

The blade I am starting this week off today is one of them. It is a Lord Super Platinum.

Since I started with 26-blades of my own and have just finished week #5 yesterday, these additions now account for more than 1/3 of the blades I intend to go through. I expect, I will be finding out more about the Treets very shortly!

The theory anyway is that many of these blades are just different branding, same blade. That thread doesn't quite put that to rest, but it does add some data.

My theory is that most razor blades out there are the same blade.

We had a bloke that showed up here in the forum some years back... sort of a one-post wonder.
It's a bit fuzzy in my memory now whether he claimed to be Russian and worked at the PPI factory in St. Petersburg or just had access or whatnot.

Anyway, he claimed they only made one blade and the only difference was the coating(chrome, platinum, etc)and the packaging. Opened a big can of worms he did and just threw them all over our nice clean B&B floor.

I mean just imagine someone telling you your Nacet is the same as an Astra Stainless or your Perma-Sharp is the same as some plebs lowly Sputnik. I'm too lazy to find that thread but it was good times. 🤣

No and no. Some are good blades and some last more than two shaves. Few make the cut and you will be even more confused about all the different blades as you read the thread! 😬
I definitely felt that the blades sorted neatly into two categories, with the top-tier blades reliably giving me more than two shaves and the others not. Also, I suspect that with more efficient modern razors one could take fewer passes per shave and get more life out of each blade than I did.

I mean just imagine someone telling you your Nacet is the same as an Astra Stainless or your Perma-Sharp is the same as some plebs lowly Sputnik. I'm too lazy to find that thread but it was good times. 🤣

While it sounds absurd at face value, the realities of marketing are quite different. As specially on a global scale.

In the US, we have the same ice-cream called by different company names on the east coast and the west coast.

I knew someone whose mother worked in a soup canning plant. They would finish their run of the major brand. Then they would continue, placing different labels on the same cans of soup.

As I have been given to understand it, there are several known brands of DE blades that are just re-branded blades.

It is thought that King C. Gillette DE blades are re-branded Gillette Platinum's, primarily intended for the US market.

A member on this forum has pointed out that the only blades from the PPI plant that were intended for sale in Russia were the Sputnik and Rubie. All the others are produced for export.

As such, you really could have the same blade rebranded for sale in different countries.

Starting off... when blades were really manufactured in their original countries, they were made of a particular steel. When manufacturing is moved to another country, are they still using that same steel? Very doubtful?

The PPI plant produces many different blades. How many different types of steel are used in the PPI plant? Not many, I guess?

Then you take brands that have many varieties of blades, like Lord, Super-Max and Treet. I really doubt whether these are really completely different blades.

Consider also, the complete lack of transparency of the companies themselves. Many of them do not even operate websites. Others that do, say very little concerning their own different blades.

Very few industries operate today in this fashion...

Top Bottom