What's new

Opinions on this edge please

Hi everyone,

I'd like to see if anyone has any feedback on the edge of this blade. Does it look good? Does it look sharp? Does it need some work? I'm new to straight shaving so I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Blade:

proxy.php

Closeup:

proxy.php

thank you for a nice picture. To answer your question person needs to know at least a little information.What magnification have you used? It seems like you have taped back of the blade and there is not much bevel left sooner you will need take that tape out.
All this just seen picture. on person it may have different opinions.
about sharpness no one in the world can answer to that question. Because you are showing only bevel not the edge. Sharpness depends on edge not the bevel.hope this helps

i checked picture again seems like you have double bevel in there?

thank you for a nice picture. To answer your question person needs to know at least a little information.What magnification have you used? It seems like you have taped back of the blade and there is not much bevel left sooner you will need take that tape out.
All this just seen picture. on person it may have different opinions.
about sharpness no one in the world can answer to that question. Because you are showing only bevel not the edge. Sharpness depends on edge not the bevel.hope this helps

i checked picture again seems like you have double bevel in there?

I'm not sure it's a double bevel. I think it may be the coloring of the blade making it look like it has a double bevel. I also didn't think it was supposed to be possible to see without magnification.

But I agree, that picture doesn't really say much other than it looks like a really pretty blade (can you posts wide shots of the blade, I'd love to see it in all it's glory :biggrin:).

Try shaving with it, if it shaves well, it's sharp.

Note to all: What you're all looking at is the last 1/4 or so of the blade, which appears to be a dovo micarta (cheapo etching made to look like damascus or something)

To the OP: It looks like you either have a contaminated fine hone or you haven't removed the scratches from a lower grit hone. It might still shave okay. In any case, pics at this magnification don't say much. Try shaving with it.

To the OP: It looks like you either have a contaminated fine hone or you haven't removed the scratches from a lower grit hone. It might still shave okay. In any case, pics at this magnification don't say much. Try shaving with it.

Reminds me of factory grind marks on pocket knives... :blink:

No idea if Dovos come from the factory with similar grind marks or not.

yeah, there's no way to tell from the picture what the streaks on the bevel are.

and the sharpness is the width of the edge - not enough resolution to determine that. it needs to be at about 0.3-0.5 micrometers.

see if it shaves armhair before trying it on your face.

Try shaving with it, if it shaves well, it's sharp.

That's my problem really. I gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be able to cut through my beard as well as when I use my super speed with feather blade but because I don't have any experience using a straight I don't know if this is normal or not.

I appreciate that I haven't taken a good enough picture for you guys to be able to judge the sharpness. I was mainly trying to show scratches/streaks on the edge are to see if these are normal or not.

This is just my tuppence-worth as I'm still in kindergarten in this section, but I have never seen, in-person or by image, an edge with nicks on it, like the picture exhibits. For me, the difference between a shave-ready edge and an incredibly sharp edge is very difficult to tell without actually using it. My ebony Dovo feels 96% as sharp as my well-honed vintages, but in-use there is no comparison. I would guess though, that if this is a factory-hone, the chances of it being ready are probably slim.

That's my problem really. I gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be able to cut through my beard as well as when I use my super speed with feather blade but because I don't have any experience using a straight I don't know if this is normal or not.

I appreciate that I haven't taken a good enough picture for you guys to be able to judge the sharpness. I was mainly trying to show scratches/streaks on the edge are to see if these are normal or not.

Wait a minute...

We're evaluating an edge that you didn't hone yourself? If so, did you buy it shave ready? If there was no indication that the razor is shave ready, then it is not. If it was and you bought it from a trusted vendor, then chances are very good that it is shave ready.

If it hasn't been honed, I'll hone it for you for free if you want. Once I stop being lazy I was going to start offering free honing to a couple of people per week for the summer.

No I haven't honed this but it has been honed by a vendor on these forums so it is supposed to be shave ready. My problem is that it doesn't seem anywhere near as sharp as I was expecting it to be. Because I don't have any experience or anything to compare it with I don't know if I am expecting too much or if it isn't as sharp as it could be.

That is a very generous offer to hone it for me but unfortunately I am in the UK. As well as expensive shipping it would take a few weeks to make the round trip. Thanks anyway though.

If you have not shaved with a straight razor before, it is probably just as sharp as it needs to be.

Straights are a little odd, and you can't compare them directly to the sharpness of a DE blade. They are quite a bit thicker, even the full hollow/singing blades, and so will have a different feel to them, even if they are just as sharp.

I'd maybe PM a trusted/authoritative straight-user with the name of the honemeister to get a possible opinion on his/her work. Great offer of a free hone BTW- kudos! I think in this section maybe more than in any other, there's a real chance that without the generosity and knowledge which is shared every day by the more knowledgeable members, many people would simply give up at the first attempt to use a straight. I think I speak for everyone when I say we really do appreciate it.

Impossible to say from a photo, but if it is from a reputable vendor, it probably came shave ready. It still probably is, unless the edge was rolled stopping. Be that as it may, your DE with feather will always cut your beard better than a straight will on your first shave. Maybe your first one hundred.

Top Bottom