What's new

Opinions on this Colgate

Hi everyone,

This is my first vintage puck of soap and was wondering if there was anything I should be on the look out for before using it? Anything that would let me know I should not use it? Here are some pictures of what the box and puck look like:
Karatsu_TFAshaverColgateCupSoap-1.JPG

Karatsu_TFAshaverColgateCupSoap-2.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverColgateCupSoap-3.JPG

I believe this is an unused puck, but do I need to be concerned about the black ring on the inside of the box? There isn't any black on the puck itself. Thanks for you input.

I haven't used this soap in a long time. It reminds me of vintage Williams soap.

In the soap I used the scent was minimal. It lathered easily and was slick. As I recall, there were two versions of the soap: the Mug Soap and the Cup Soap. Your version is the earlier version and I thought it was very good. The soap is clean so you can use it.

I've never had luck with vintage soaps, unfortunately. I have a mint puck of Old Spice that I can't even enjoy :c4:

I have a few of these exact soaps . Use it they’re great ! All you need to do if you like is just “wash” the soap a bit to relive any dust etc and then make sure you bloom the puck a good amount of time before using it to soften it up a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That puck is from the last generation of Colgate's 'good stuff' before they went the the box that says 'Mug Soap'. They are very good, sometimes a little drying, but not ever terribly so.

I used Colgate soap back in the days and my recollection was that it was a good soap and easier to lather than Williams.

You might have to use it as a hand soap for a time or two to remove the drier layer of soap, but after that it should be good to go. Let us know how it performs.

Sounds good everyone. I will probably get to this puck in the next few days. Thanks for the advice. If anyone else has some opinions on the soap let the posts keep coming. It is always good to hear more perspectives on things shaving related.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would just use it as it is a new old stock soap. You could test lather a brush to remove any dust on the top but a new old stock soap I would just use.

I had a puck of Colgate soap. I only used it a couple of times and I don't know what I did with it. I got great shaves with it. My advice- use it!

I believe this is an unused puck, but do I need to be concerned about the black ring on the inside of the box? There isn't any black on the puck itself. Thanks for you input.
The black is likely caused by the moisture/glycerin in the puck soaking into the cardboard years ago. Nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom