What's new

Opinions on P90X?

Okay, so I've seen the infomercials...many times. This, combined with the desire to get back into playing hockey (mostly this), makes me think I have the time to get back into shape.

Has anyone tried P90X? Good and bad experiences welcomed.

I am no fitness expert, so I can't compare and contrast to anything else really.
That said, P90X kicked the crap out of me daily (well for a couple weeks anyway). It is set up as a whole body workout over a week. Each workout is about an hour and it calls for 5 to 6 workouts a week. If you can stick with this workout you will see results.

I'm in pretty terrible shape, and I recently tried out the spartacus workout to get back into shape. The spartacus workout (free at menshealth.com) is a polar opposite to P90X in that it's aim is to squeeze a whole body workout into 45 minutes - 2 or 3 times a week.

P90X is a serious commitment - time and otherwise. I'd say start with something like the spartacus workout and after you can actually do it's 10 exercises times 3 circuits, and feel like you need more, then maybe think about moving on to P90X

I'll check out the spartacus workout. I'm not wholly out of shape now, but I'm looking to get back into it for the sake of not making an *** of myself when I start playing hockey again...I've read a few posts of people puking themselves the first time back playing drop-in, and I'd like to avoid that.

I'm up to about 190 out-of-shape, which is about the weight I was at 10 years ago when I was at my best shape playing hockey.

It will tear you limb from limb, cut you open, spit on your wounds, and once you're dead, it'll make a bonfire out of your soul.

Great program...if you can keep up. I couldn't, so I don't do it anymore. Plus, I'm weary of any diet where you have to measure your food out just so.

I really enjoyed it when I wasn't competing in anything. It's a lot of fun and it works but as with anything it only works if you stick with it.

I'll check out the spartacus workout. I'm not wholly out of shape now, but I'm looking to get back into it for the sake of not making an *** of myself when I start playing hockey again...I've read a few posts of people puking themselves the first time back playing drop-in, and I'd like to avoid that.

I'm up to about 190 out-of-shape, which is about the weight I was at 10 years ago when I was at my best shape playing hockey.

Ok, not to be outdone by Shane - previous quote from me on P90X

P90X will beat the holy hell out of you, rip you in two, feast on your entrails and come back for seconds

Although I'll admit, the bonfire out of your soul bit is a nice touch :thumbup1:

For a bit more useful feedback -
many of the exercises are body weight exercises. A pullup bar is recommended, as are a set of dumbbells, but you can get by with bands if you had to. It is basically laid out as a series of supersets with competing/opposing muscle groups. Example: in the push and pull dvd, you go from pushups to pullups to a modified pushup, etc. Every other day a brutal ab workout is tacked on to the routine. It is laid out into 3 sections of 4 weeks each (if I recall) which goes along with the notion that "muscle confusion" is the way to go. I've seen plenty of actual people put up serious results on this program - again if you are masochistic to stick with it. Even if you fudged on the diet, you'd still end up a lot stronger and more explosive/athletic.

I haven't done the workout but quite a few guys I work with have and said it's effective but a ballbuster. Another program you might consider, which requires NO extra equipment at all, is the Insanity workout program. Another killer but effective if you stick to it. I guess it depends on your needs and if you have or want to purchase the extras to do the workouts.

I haven't tried it, but programs like P90X and intensity, in theory, should work as long as you keep with it.

If you're trying to get back into shape to get back into hockey, all you need to concern yourself with is cardio. Hit a free skate a few times a week and do suicides, or now that it's nice and warm, pick up some roller blades, and do the same thing. I stopped playing around 16, and I'm also a smoker, but after a month of hitting the public rink in town and just burning it around the rink for about a half hour, I was in fighting shape and ready to get back into the game.

My brother in law does it and got some really great results after 3 weeks. I did the yoga video with him. I had been doing yoga for two months prior and thought I was getting pretty strong. The video destroyed me. It was terrible. I couldn't do some of the exercises at all. The others were torture.

Great workout.

I've tried it and stopped part-way through due to illness, it is excellent and you must be in good shape before you start it or it will beat you and leave you for dead by the side of the road, fond memories of SWMBO and myself screaming "I HATE YOU TONY HORTEN" so umm yah great stuff but hard.

I found this blog post helpful in evaluating P90X for my own use. The author suggests a baseline minimum fitness level before starting the program that includes the ability to do the following (partial list):

• 3 pullups
  • 15 pushups
  • 1 minute hold on bodyweight wall squat
  • Minimum 10 db curls @ 20 pounds

If you can already do those, then you are ready for P90X. If not, she suggests doing a ramp-up program first, and links to a few alternatives.

I am no fitness expert, so I can't compare and contrast to anything else really.
That said, P90X kicked the crap out of me daily (well for a couple weeks anyway). It is set up as a whole body workout over a week. Each workout is about an hour and it calls for 5 to 6 workouts a week. If you can stick with this workout you will see results.

P90X is a serious commitment - time and otherwise. I'd say start with something like the spartacus workout and after you can actually do it's 10 exercises times 3 circuits, and feel like you need more, then maybe think about moving on to P90X

This. Not that I'm in great shape now but at the time I was in worse shape and it beat the **** out of me. I can see, if someone was to stick with it for the 90 days, how and why it would have a huge effect to the way you look. You need to be ready to put in that time though and I wasn't when I had it.

I found this blog post helpful in evaluating P90X for my own use. The author suggests a baseline minimum fitness level before starting the program that includes the ability to do the following (partial list):

• 3 pullups
  • 15 pushups
  • 1 minute hold on bodyweight wall squat
  • Minimum 10 db curls @ 20 pounds

If you can already do those, then you are ready for P90X. If not, she suggests doing a ramp-up program first, and links to a few alternatives.

Not to insult anyone, but I feel sorry for anyone who can't do double that. (disregarding medical conditions)

Top Bottom