What's new

Opinions on Ethos?

It's an OK soap, and certainly overpriced. Super hyped on another forum. It lacks slickness and post shave when compared to the elite soaps from WK, T&S, GD, DG, Oaken, Mammoth, and to some extent B&M.

The main selling point is the companion and also overpriced aftershave. But then again, many of the above make fantastic aftershaves that are far cheaper and better.

This hasn't been my experience as I'd rank it above the soaps you've listed, but we all like different things. In terms of price I feel it's worth the asking price but again that's based on what I like in a soap. I know what the ingredients cost and it's not a cheap soap to make, so that's a factor. For me the most expensive soap is the one I buy and don't use.

I agree with dfoulk that this is an exceptional soap. I have been through my fair share of soaps from all the top tier companies like Sē’bŭm, groom dept, T&S, B&M, MdC, WK and none have given me the results like Ethos. I have actually replaced all my soaps with Ethos purely based on my results and the performance. Yes, Ethos does come at a premium but with the quality and the purity of the ingredients is what is worth the cost to me, but I’m also a guy who appreciates niche house fragrances. dfoulk cannot be more right that the most expensive soap is one you do not use and for me Ethos I use everyday. Also my wife now uses and prefers Ethos lavender soap and uses the lemongrass replenish serum every night and prefers it over her Neutrogena cream she use to use. Just .02

It's an OK soap, and certainly overpriced. Super hyped on another forum. It lacks slickness and post shave when compared to the elite soaps from WK, T&S, GD, DG, Oaken, Mammoth, and to some extent B&M.

The main selling point is the companion and also overpriced aftershave. But then again, many of the above make fantastic aftershaves that are far cheaper and better.

This hasn't been my experience as I'd rank it above the soaps you've listed, but we all like different things. In terms of price I feel it's worth the asking price but again that's based on what I like in a soap. I know what the ingredients cost and it's not a cheap soap to make, so that's a factor. For me the most expensive soap is the one I buy and don't use.

Oh, well, it seems the only way I am going to be able to find out how Ethos works for me will be to try.

Like ohansen, I want a soap with superb slickness and post shave. I love the recent offerings from WK, GD, DG, Oaken and Mammoth. I like B&M and T&S but do not put them in the same groups as those I listed first. Thus, I have my doubts that Ethos will live up to the hype based on my preferences.

From my association with Mohammad of Grooming Dept, I have a feel for what some soap and scent ingredients can cost. Thus, as dfoulk has indicated, Ethos is expensive to produce. However, I also know that seemingly minor changes in the ratio between ingredients can make significant changes in the performance of a soap.

Making a soap from expensive ingredients does not guarantee that it will be a great soap. For example, I have a tub of Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3 that is one of the more expensive soaps in my den. Some people love SV, but it does not come close to performing for me like the elite soaps in my den. I consider SV to be underperforming and overpriced. The purchase was not quite as regrettable as AOS Sandalwood, but almost.

RayClem, I think you will need to try Ethos like you said. All scents are great, but my favorite is Lavender

@dfoulk

Expensive ingredients don't necessarily make a soap better! Nonetheless, I did some research. Of the ones I listed, WK & GD seem to have the the most expensive ingredients. I don't see anything special about the Ethos ingredient list.

From my experiences of being a big user in the past of GD and WK that they are good soaps but I found the ingredients they use aid in adding oil to my skin and leads to me breaking out and feeling oily all day. On the other hand, ethos uses more of a skin care point of view and his EOS Complex that if far beyond my knowledge, but it is the first soap that gives great post shave and is skin care based that doesn't add oil to my skin. I know Ethos is not on this forum, but he has posted about his complex before on other sites and breaks it down for those of you who want to read about it.

Each person is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not here to convince anyone to make Ethos their #1 soap. I am writing to state why I think Ethos is the best soap base I have ever used.

Ethos is the absolute best soap base I have ever used. For me, Ethos Lavender is the epitome of what a shave soap should be. I have used many soaps, some of which are AE, DG, GD NO, SV, WK, & Zingari Man, to name just a few. They are all good soaps that work very well for some. I have tried multiple bases in these soaps as well as different scents. I had been in the soap rabbit hole for a few years before climbing out once I discovered Ethos. None of these other soaps work for me nearly as well as Ethos. This is, after all, about our own personal preference.

Ethos provides the consistent quality I expect. Scent - clean & natural. Latherability - simple, not difficult or time-consuming to create a wonderful lather. Slickness - this feature is essential, & Ethos is stellar in slickness. Residual slickness - no worries here, I can touch-up or buff with plenty of slickness. Protection - I get irritation-free shaves using Ethos. Post-shave feel - Ethos is in a league of it's own with post-shave. So many soaps leave my face feeling artificially moisturized, oily, or waxy. Ethos leaves my face feeling perfectly refreshed & cared for. I don't want to feel residue on my face for hours afterward. Wiping oily residue off my face is not what I personally consider to be a quality post-shave feel. But as in all things, this is just my opinion & we are all entitled to our own opinion.

I have several tubs of Ethos soap & several bottles of Ethos Skin Food splash. I will be placing an order this week for another Ethos scent. I purchase the 7.5-ounce jars of soap which averages out to $6 per ounce. At that price, Ethos is right in line, or under, other soaps that are considered premium. I have used Ethos for a year & have compared it to many other soaps, some I listed above. Ethos has defended its #1 standing in my den & come out on top against every soap I tried.

As I stated at the beginning of this post, each person is entitled to their own opinion. Enjoy your shaves, I certainly am!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

It's worth what a consumer is willing to pay for it.

@dfoulk

Expensive ingredients don't necessarily make a soap better! Nonetheless, I did some research. Of the ones I listed, WK & GD seem to have the the most expensive ingredients. I don't see anything special about the Ethos ingredient list.

The EOS complex that Frank uses contains around 36 or 38 different ingredients. While I know some of what is in there I do not know every ingredient. I do know that many of these ingredients are pricey as are the higher end essential oils that are used.

Not saying that any expensive ingredient will make a soap better but the right ones certainly do. My earlier comment was more to explain the higher asking price as that is a consideration for some.

Another factor is how much of these ingredients are used as some might use a good amount while others might add a drop to a batch and list it on the label.

Not saying that you have to like what I like as we are all different and like different things. If you enjoy other soaps instead then I'm happy that you found what works for you.

Like others I Have used many expensive, top tier soaps only to have ETHOS exceed their functionality. For me it has been slick, cushioning and smooth with the added benefit of hydrating for the skin as I never feel dry afterwards and that is before I apply the post shave skin food which further improves the experience. As far as scents it is entirely personal - I never expected much from the GreenFresh but it has become my favorite along with the Succes (Pineapple Noir). I know other shavers who are sensitive to many scent s and they get the same wonderful experience with the unscented Clear soap. They have a website and the owner is attentive and always seems to be engaging his customer base and innovating his product line. So for me this line is in my future as it is steadily overtaking my shave experience.

Can anyone describe the citrus scents in this range?
Well, for example, the Colonia Ethos release is similar to Acqua di Parma Colonia, with a bit of Neroli Portofino from Tom Ford. Very natural smelling, especially the aftershave splash.

Making a soap from expensive ingredients does not guarantee that it will be a great soap. For example, I have a tub of Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3 that is one of the more expensive soaps in my den. Some people love SV, but it does not come close to performing for me like the elite soaps in my den. I consider SV to be underperforming and overpriced. The purchase was not quite as regrettable as AOS Sandalwood, but almost.

I share the same experience with both SV and MdC. I don't understand the hype with these soaps. Stirling and Tabac, both cheap soaps, provide much better glide/protection for me. By the forum standards here, my soap collection is still fairly limited, but I am hesitant to try another vegetable soap based on my experience with these two "top" vegetable soaps.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I share the same experience with both SV and MdC. I don't understand the hype with these soaps. Stirling and Tabac, both cheap soaps, provide much better glide/protection for me. By the forum standards here, my soap collection is still fairly limited, but I am hesitant to try another vegetable soap based on my experience with these two "top" vegetable soaps.

Just shows YMMV. . . I was initially turned off of veggie soaps years ago after trying a few from RR and Klar. SV made me rethink that and now is a top performer in my den (along with MdC).

Reactions: GMM
Just shows YMMV. . . I was initially turned off of veggie soaps years ago after trying a few from RR and Klar. SV made me rethink that and now is a top performer in my den (along with MdC).
YMMV, indeed

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I know I can’t speak for others, but MdC and SV are so good for me that I somehow wonder if some aren’t using insufficient product (MdC) or an insufficient amount of water (SV and MdC to some extent).

When it comes to MdC, I wonder if people have come to expect the “seven second” swirl to work well lest the product cost them more per shave. I could get a good looking lather with it, but loading a bit more soap produces a truly exceptional lather in terms of performance.

I would rate it a top tier soap that doesn’t use fragrance oils, silicones, or unnatural products. I think there is post shave feel (moisturizing vs oily vs powdery) and here Ethos knocks it out of the park.

Ethos, GD, B&M, WK, MacDuffs, Stirling Sheep among the top 5 brands for myself.

I have spent thousands on soaps in the past 3 years with no affiliation, free tubs, etc from anyone. I currently am only buying the above now that I’ve settled in on bases.

Opinions are opinions - best to try a soap and form your own.

Top Bottom