What's new

Opinions on Ethos?

Wondering if anyone could share their opinion on Ethos Grooming Essentials soap performance and scent? I saw one small, older thread, but I believe the soap maker has tweaked his soap base since. I've been on the fence about buying mostly due to the price ($36 for 4 oz). The Post Shave Splash (skin food) sounds great as well, but again... pricey stuff!

thanks

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Wondering if anyone could share their opinion on Ethos Grooming Essentials soap performance and scent? I saw one small, older thread, but I believe the soap maker has tweaked his soap base since. I've been on the fence about buying mostly due to the price ($36 for 4 oz). The Post Shave Splash (skin food) sounds great as well, but again... pricey stuff!

thanks
I've never tried it, but I see on their web page that for about $8 more you can get a 7.5oz jar. So that should work out to be less per ounce.

I purchased a tub of the lavender supreme in September, before there was even a website. It is a fantastic, top tier soap. Great protection and rinses clean, like a Martin de Candre, but still has post-shave protection. I would not hesitate to get some. There's a thread over on Clubs and Brotherhoods. Better price is $45 for 7.5 ounces--25% increase in price for almost double the soap.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I purchased a tub of the lavender supreme in September, before there was even a website. It is a fantastic, top tier soap. Great protection and rinses clean, like a Martin de Candre, but still has post-shave protection. I would not hesitate to get some. There's a thread over on Clubs and Brotherhoods. Better price is $45 for 7.5 ounces--25% increase in price for almost double the soap.
I was gifted some of the Lavender in it's latest formulation as far as I know. It's phenomenal stuff.

Great protection and rinses clean, like a Martin de Candre, but still has post-shave protection??????

Of the soaps I have evaluated, some soaps do rinse clean, but they leave nothing behind that contributes to post-shave moisturizing and skin conditioning. Thus, to me, those claims are mutually exclusive.

I have heard good things about Ethos Grooming Essentials shaving soap with EOS and I was planning to purchase a tub in the next few months for evaluation. I have a very large collection of soaps and I want to make sure it includes all the top soaps. However, your comments have confused me to the point I now question whether I should go through with the purchase of Ethos. Please explain your comments in more detail so I can make an informed decision.

To me a top tier soap is one that will give a great shave with zero irritation and leave my face feeling soft, supple, and moist after the shave and continue doing so for a minimum of 16 hours. If Ethos cannot do that, I would be wasting my money; I have eighteen soaps in my den that meet those criteria and another 24 that come close. None of those soaps are as expensive as Ethos. There are many soaps that others consider top-tier that do not come anywhere close to meeting my personal criteria.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Great protection and rinses clean, like a Martin de Candre, but still has post-shave protection??????

Of the soaps I have evaluated, some soaps do rinse clean, but they leave nothing behind that contributes to post-shave moisturizing and skin conditioning. Thus, to me, those claims are mutually exclusive.

I have heard good things about Ethos Grooming Essentials shaving soap with EOS and I was planning to purchase a tub in the next few months for evaluation. I have a very large collection of soaps and I want to make sure it includes all the top soaps. However, your comments have confused me to the point I now question whether I should go through with the purchase of Ethos. Please explain your comments in more detail so I can make an informed decision.

To me a top tier soap is one that will give a great shave with zero irritation and leave my face feeling soft, supple, and moist after the shave and continue doing so for a minimum of 16 hours. If Ethos cannot do that, I would be wasting my money; I have eighteen soaps in my den that meet those criteria and another 24 that come close. None of those soaps are as expensive as Ethos. There are many soaps that others consider top-tier that do not come anywhere close to meeting my personal criteria.

Hi @RayClem ,

I would like to read about what you consider top tier soaps.
I always like to hear about things I may not have tried or heard of yet, and the way you've described your favorites has peaked my interest.

Thanks!

It is what I'd consider to be a truly outstanding soap and the scents are exceptional. We're talking upper end of tier 1 and solidly in my top three. I'm extremely particular so I've narrowed it down to using soap that I make myself or Ethos.

It does cost a bit more than most soaps but it's worth it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It is what I'd consider to be a truly outstanding soap and the scents are exceptional. We're talking upper end of tier 1 and solidly in my top three. I'm extremely particular so I've narrowed it down to using soap that I make myself or Ethos.

It does cost a bit more than most soaps but it's worth it.
High praise! I know you make your own. And yes, the Ethos stuff is worth what one is willing to pay, like anything else. I have yet to visit his website; I should fix that!

I think it's hard to go wrong with Ethos. I've tried the Lavender, Agrume, and Succes and enjoy all three scents. The Succes (aka "Pineapple Noir") is my favorite of the Aventus variants that I've tried. And the other two have pure lavender and citrus scents that are exemplars of each. I'm hoping to try the Greenfresh as well.

One thing to note if you're on the fence. Ethos is now selling 1 oz. travel/sample containers. While more expensive on a per-ounce basis, you could at least try the base for a smaller investment. I'll probably buy one of the small containers to check out Greenfresh.

Because of the pass around, I've purchased 2 tubs (and one skin food) that are currently in my queue. My only "concern" - to the extent it is actually a concern - is that the soap is a little softer than most of the other soaps I use. I think that the maker has been tweaking the formula just a little so that his latest version is a little harder than the ones I've purchased.

I think it's hard to go wrong with Ethos. I've tried the Lavender, Agrume, and Succes and enjoy all three scents. The Succes (aka "Pineapple Noir") is my favorite of the Aventus variants that I've tried. And the other two have pure lavender and citrus scents that are exemplars of each. I'm hoping to try the Greenfresh as well.

One thing to note if you're on the fence. Ethos is now selling 1 oz. travel/sample containers. While more expensive on a per-ounce basis, you could at least try the base for a smaller investment. I'll probably buy one of the small containers to check out Greenfresh.

Because of the pass around, I've purchased 2 tubs (and one skin food) that are currently in my queue. My only "concern" - to the extent it is actually a concern - is that the soap is a little softer than most of the other soaps I use. I think that the maker has been tweaking the formula just a little so that his latest version is a little harder than the ones I've purchased.
I didn’t like Green Fresh initially. After continul use now I think it’s excellent.

Thanks for the added info. I prefer to use 4 ounce tubs as I like loading directly from the tub. If it is really soft, then I scoop out some into my lather bowl. I have spent thousands of dollars on shaving soaps, so another $36 won't matter much as long as I like the scent and performance.

I have some of the early Murphy & McNeil soaps that are very soft, even after a couple of years, but they still give a nice shave. The newer soaps (Aon and Kodiak are firmer.

My daughter once gave me a $50 gift card to Art of Shaving, so I purchased the AOS sandalwood soap in a wooden bowl for $50. It is my most expensive soap purchase. However, I rate it as as Tier III soap, on par with Prorasso that sells for $10. AOS is one of the few purchases I have regretted because it was a terrible value. At least the wooden bowl is nice. I instructed my daughter not do do that again.

some soaps do rinse clean, but they leave nothing behind that contributes to post-shave moisturizing and skin conditioning. Thus, to me, those claims are mutually exclusive.
I agree up to a point. Ethos has some post-shave protection. It's kinda weird, and I don't want to steer you wrong. The post-shave is not like a full fat soap production--which is a good thing and what makes this different. But, there's something in the base that does provide decent post-shave feel. Aftershaves/skin food splashes are fantastic. Maybe try a sample?

Following up on my last post above. I just shaved with the lavender and am back. What I mean from post-shave protection is more accurately described as my skin feels nourished. There is no greasy feeling, nothing tactile to suggest that the skin is moisturized. The subjective feel is that my skin is protected and moisturized, just not overly moisturized. If that helps. It's strange in a great way, to me.

Excellent experience with the Ethos Lavender. Very very easy to lather and very slick shave. I focus almost entirely on only natural scented soaps as I am very sensitive to synthetics, and it is one of the best I have experienced.

Following up on my last post above. I just shaved with the lavender and am back. What I mean from post-shave protection is more accurately described as my skin feels nourished. There is no greasy feeling, nothing tactile to suggest that the skin is moisturized. The subjective feel is that my skin is protected and moisturized, just not overly moisturized. If that helps. It's strange in a great way, to me.

This is a very good description. Post shave is definitely present but it's a very clean post shave. Not the feeling that your face is coated with a heavy layer of anything. No greasy muddy feeling that you sometimes get with some soaps that depend solely on heavy butters for post shave. While Frank isn't going to tell you what is in his proprietary blend, there are some ingredients that you'll find in higher end cosmetic products. This is my preference and how I'd create a soap, but is its definitely more costly to produce a soap this way. Some of these same ingredients find their way into the aftershaves as well.

Count me as another fan. While I love some other soaps performance as much like SV, and a couple even more (Nuavia and Tallow + Steel), I concur with others that consider ETHOS a top tier soap. Apart from the superb post-shave performance, one key thing that distinguishes the brand is ingredient quality, including the fragrance ingredients.

The skin food/aftershave offerings also feature top-notch ingredients... like the Mysore Santal, for example. This stuff is a true rarity in not just either using a Mysore sandalwood approximation, or just a drop of the real stuff... It is the *real* deal, hence its lofty price tag (that still is quite reasonable when ingredient cost is taken into account). The owner is a stand-up guy that really cares about quality.

I agree up to a point. Ethos has some post-shave protection. It's kinda weird, and I don't want to steer you wrong. The post-shave is not like a full fat soap production--which is a good thing and what makes this different. But, there's something in the base that does provide decent post-shave feel. Aftershaves/skin food splashes are fantastic. Maybe try a sample?

Thanks for the clarification.

I have looked at the ingredient list for Ethos and it contains many of the things I look for in an elite shaving soap. Thus, I am pretty sure it will rate well enough to be a keeper in my den. However at $9 per ounce, I expect it to be one of the very best soaps in my den and to do that the post shave will have to be a lot better than decent. I have some soaps that I can still feel on my face 24 hours after the shave.

It's an OK soap, and certainly overpriced. Super hyped on another forum. It lacks slickness and post shave when compared to the elite soaps from WK, T&S, GD, DG, Oaken, Mammoth, and to some extent B&M.

The main selling point is the companion and also overpriced aftershave. But then again, many of the above make fantastic aftershaves that are far cheaper and better.

Top Bottom