What's new

Opinions on establishing a friendly price on razors

I bought a group of grubby old razors (so I could get my hands on a variety of old Gillettes to try, not for profiteering), cleaning them has been and continues to be a chore, but they are cleaning up nicely and I am coming near to wanting to sell off the ones I don't intend to use.

I have already given some away, both here locally and as a PIF here on B&B, so I'm not trying to get rich. I would basically like to get my money back out of them and maybe come ahead enough for a few soaps and the like (maybe put together a Silvertip from TGN) for my trouble (the man hours spent cleaning them far exceeds the actual value of the razors).

I am trying to determine a fair pricing guideline to use.

One method would be, look at the BST and see what similar razors went for and price accordingly. Another is to look at auction site prices (maybe auction price minus X%???).

Anyone have any opinions?

One method would be, look at the BST and see what similar razors went for and price accordingly. Another is to look at auction site prices (maybe auction price minus X%???).

Anyone have any opinions?

If you want to sell them on the B/S/T forum, I think this is the best way to price them.

If you'll be looking to sell them on the B/S/T then your prices ought to be primarily based on recent B/S/T sales. At the same time I would say that it would be ultimately unhealthy for us to try to maintain heavily deflated prices on the B/S/T. We should try to always be on the fair side of market prices, but if it ever got to the point where people didn't feel like they could ask a fair price we'd see nothing but dreck on the B/S/T. So you should be aware of what the general "going rate" is on eBay and elsewhere and use that to adjust as appropriate -- although this would probably not factor in all that much when it comes to common model razors. So, essentially, both of your approaches would factor in.

All that said, I would probably start from what you're looking to get out of the total lot -- remembering to factor in PayPal fees and postage -- and see where you are if you just divvy that total amount up between the razors based on their relative B/S/T ranges. Assuming you didn't get hosed on the original purchase of the razors you should be able to ask a price that someone would be happy to pay.

When I sell on the BST I always pick the lower end of the recent average sale price, adjusted for razor condition.
If I were trying to maximize my price I'd just go straight to eBay, but I like giving you guys good deals :biggrin1:

At the same time I would say that it would be ultimately unhealthy for us to try to maintain heavily deflated prices on the B/S/T. We should try to always be on the fair side of market prices, but if it ever got to the point where people didn't feel like they could ask a fair price we'd see nothing but dreck on the B/S/T.

Point taken.

I guess going for average rate is the right way sell. If I am looking to be generous, just give it away. That way it doesn't mess up the market.

I think both Chris and Porter are making valid cases and giving sound input.
Also if your prices are perceived a bit high on BST, someone will tell you either by posting a comment or PM and this may get debated right in your sell thread.
Don't take it personal as everyone is encouraged to express their perspective about such things.
Good luck with the sale.

+1. This is the way houses are bought and sold, used cars, etc.

The BST is a special case though, it's expressly designed NOT to be a standard marketplace so traditional rules don't always apply. It's more of a place where you can pass items around, keep them in the community and recoup whatever you paid for them - profit or maximizing revenue shouldn't be part of the calculation.

+1 on BST. I find a great deal of variability on eBay. The BST keeps us honest.

Yeah, I've seen scandalous descriptions on the 'bay. Tech's and everything else labelled as "Fatboys", gnarly razors listed in good condition, "accidentally" fuzzy close up pictures, etc... Impossible to prove shill bidding... I really don't like dealing with that mess.

I have considered the same thing myself...but right now I am happy assisting those interested in getting into DE shaving. Nothing makes me happier than to go to my stash and find someone's birth year razor and PIF...with a few blades to get them going. I have done this a handful of times in the short time I have been DE'ing it and it has been rewarding in a small way.

EBay pricing seems pretty high in most cases....but only if people are buying. Go with your gut. If you found a good deal for $5, and are happy with selling it for $10....you may sell it to someone else who feels THEY got a good deal.

I have considered the same thing myself...but right now I am happy assisting those interested in getting into DE shaving. Nothing makes me happier than to go to my stash and find someone's birth year razor and PIF...with a few blades to get them going. I have done this a handful of times in the short time I have been DE'ing it and it has been rewarding in a small way.

EBay pricing seems pretty high in most cases....but only if people are buying. Go with your gut. If you found a good deal for $5, and are happy with selling it for $10....you may sell it to someone else who feels THEY got a good deal.

+1. And thanks for your PIFs to the community at large. They are greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom