What's new

Opinions on best budget safety razor, Welshi? Lord? something else?

I'm trying to convert a friend over to DE shaving. His birthday is coming up so I decided to put a little starter set together for him. Since I don't know if he is going to end up liking it better than his carts, I don't want to spend too much on the razor if he isn't going to use it. I know Welshi and Lord make inexpensive razors, around the $10 range, that generally receive good reviews. Are there any other brands out there that I should look for? Any opinions on what the best budget razor is? Any input is appreciated.

[MENTION=43844]SuperChris[/MENTION],
I'm getting the Stirling $27 Starter kit for my son. It seems like a good razor and some quality soaps to get him started.

I thought about getting a razor by itself and letting him seek out what he likes but since he tells me he's using a Williams puck like a shave stick, I thought I would do a little more steering....

Here's link from JosephKFuller about his experience...... http://http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/494057-Review-Of-Stirling-Soap-Co-Budget-Starter-Shave-Kit-and-First-Shave

The Baili BD17 is a slightly longer, slightly wider version of a Weishi, available on eBay for less than $10.
The width of the head completely conceals the tabs at the side of the blade, and the blade itself fits very snugly. It is fairly mild, and virtually harmless unless you deliberately try to cut yourself - a good razor to practice technique with.
With a little experience, the correct angle, controlled pressure and a good choice of blade it is a very efficient razor- I've never had a bad shave from it
Mine is Rose Gold, but it is also available in Chrome.
$20160704_123831.jpg$20160704_113901.jpg

A good value 3 piece is a Chinese Tech-style razor.
Sold under various names, Baili, Dorco, Jagen David, Junjie - all identical and probably all from the same factory. Ideal for a beginner razor for less than $5
With a good blade and the correct angle, I've got some very nice shaves.
$20160704_121038.jpg
If in doubt, you can't go wrong with a Micro Touch One - forget paying $19.99 for the boxed sets with Rick Harrison's face on at Walmart, I got mine for €6 on eBay in exactly the same packaging as the boxed sets they sell in Walmart.
I can't fault it as a very good budget razor
$20160704_123717.jpg$20160704_113748.jpg

I purchased a Oak Leaf razor but according to some it is a rebranded Welshi. This is what I wrote few days ago. I am still using it and I am still liking it.

I purchased this razor about a month ago. Just because of the price and the look. I used it one time with the Dorco blade and put it aside. Very unsatisfactory. Yesterday I wanted to give it one more try. I loaded it with an Astra and started trying to figure out how to get the best from it. Well, once I understood that I had to incline the handle very little I stated having a good shave. Today I wanted to use it again. I did only two passes plus touch ups (a sort of third pass) and the result was a very smooth shave with no traces of stubbles anywhere.

I concur on maggard's, great value and great product. I also really like my Shaving Company TTO. It's very cheap, but well balanced and has been my travel razor for a while.

There are so many options for budget shaving out there, but I too will have to say that Maggard's is an excellent place to at least start from. Gillette Rubie is a great choice but harder to come across. My personal choice would be a Lord Tech (L5).

Hands down the Merkur 34C. Good for beginners and works like a CART for seasoned vets. When I shave with this thing, I get great shaves and can't cut myself even if I try.

MTO, Razor, stand, and blades. Can be found fairly cheap on the bay. I like mine and use it still. Its a mild razor, but effective when paired with a good blade.

I know Welshi and Lord make inexpensive razors, around the $10 range, that generally receive good reviews. Are there any other brands out there that I should look for? Any opinions on what the best budget razor is? Any input is appreciated.

I have experience with the VDH version of the Weishi, and that's the one I started with. It's good, but I wanted to try a heavier 3 piece, so I bought this one for $10 with free shipping, 20 Derby Blades and it comes in a fancy box!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CCGK2J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My son in the Air Force came home a wet shaver (thanks to my recommendations), and the one he bought is a beauty; heavier than mine, great finish, perfect alignment and is also etched. I didn't shave with it, but the heft and looks of it would make a great gift:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R913M0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you buy this week, I understand there's a free Prime promotion for a two day trial, so you can get them at your price point and they're head & shoulders above any plastic option!

I've bought a few Techs and SuperSpeeds on eBay for $7 or less (including shipping). I'd take a look for one of those if you're comfortable giving vintage.

RazoRock Yin & Yang (Protege/Mentor). $29.99 but it comes with 2 heads and a nice SS handle. Learn with the Protege set-up and hopefully move on to the Mentor once his abilities improve and decides he wants a more aggressive shaver. Good luck!

Top Bottom