What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Arko Scent"

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, May 7th, 2021, This thread go me thinking about my Arko and had to get it out for a shave today!

Razor: Kai Style AC shavette- Mfg 2018>, well built for a Zamac Shavette, I like the folding type because it can be configured to my liking. Easy razor to enjoy and learn with IMO with a guarded blade.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded (7), sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity usually around 8 shaves for me, very smooth blade compared to a naked edge and I still get close shaves.
Soap: Arko, scent is controversial with great lather qualities, still on my 1st stick 4 years later, has amazing longevity
[IMG]
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- Excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, excellent back bone for scrubbing+ good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3. 1X WTG + 2X ATG.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Kai style shavette with a Kai Protouch.
SE SOTD, Fri, May7th, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So regarding you're choice between 2 scents, ARKO's resemblance to either notwithstanding, ask yourself... "Do I prefer the scent of urine cake or the scent of urine?" Hmmmm.... thought so.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It smells identical to the ball detergent that was used in my house when I was a child to wash dirty mops and rags (Ambar)
This is a new one on me. What is 'ball detergent?' A brand, or a type of soap?

Please note that I am resisting the urge to make several obvious off colour jokes about 'ball detergent.' I won't go there. I've never been one for low hanging fruit.

Interestingly, I rather enjoy the scent of arko and didn't notice any resemblance to anything I'd smelled before. After starting to use it occasionally I notice something that smells like arko that I've been using for a longer period of time.

Most recently that something was the paper towels that come out of the dispenser at work. I blew my nose and was very surprised to find they smell like arko!

This is a new one on me. What is 'ball detergent?' A brand, or a type of soap?

Please note that I am resisting the urge to make several obvious off colour jokes about 'ball detergent.' I won't go there. I've never been one for low hanging fruit.
Here is an add:

If I washed the car or showered the dogs, I had to get all the towels clean using this... the smell is impregnated in my brain
I don't think I have ever used it by itself, have mixed it w Williams and Glycerine soap and still not a friend.
But someone mentioned it smells like Ivory......and it also has that smell......; now I don't mind Ivory....
It's a matter of preferences.
When I buy used razors and they are all caked in soap residue the first 2 things I think: what kind of soap was this (Williams or Arko or....)....and did the user pass away while shaving......

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Had an Arko shave last night (I am trying to 3017 mine) got a fantastic lather with my Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2 band badger because it uses the most soap of any brush that I own. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was shaving in a public toilet. This may have been due to the scent of my chosen soap,

What do other B&B'ers think?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Had an Arko shave last night (I am trying to 3017 mine) got a fantastic lather with my Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2 band badger because it uses the most soap of any brush that I own. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was shaving in a public toilet. This may have been due to the scent of my chosen soap,

If you want to shake the feeling that you are shaving in a public toilet you should probably just stop shaving in public toilets and see if the feeling goes away. In the west of Ireland I often shaved with bog water, but that's different than shaving in the bog.

I swear if you changed the wrapping, rebranding it as "Burberry English Gentleman", and put it on sale for $50 a stick (but only in small quantities so it sold out regularly..) it would be the most sought-after shaving soap known to man. People would rave about the mild, pleasant scent and excellent performance: "yeah it's lemony at first but you've got to let it mature - like a fine wine".

If you want to shake the feeling that you are shaving in a public toilet you should probably just stop shaving in public toilets and see if the feeling goes away. In the west of Ireland I often shaved with bog water, but that's different than shaving in the bog.
We do have bogs in the Irish Midlands, we are not called bog men for nothing
I had no idea you were Irish. I was making a pun about Irish bogs (blanket, raised, and hanging) and British bogs (public toilets). And you certainly do have bogs in the midlands!
I got the pun thanks, I was born in England to Irish parents and now live in Ireland.

What about the Scottish? God, I love the Scottish...... Love Scotch WHISKY!!! NOT WHISKEY!!! just WHISKY!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom