What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Arko Scent"

This is a cultural thing, I think. In Turkey the scent is just the scent of cleanliness, good hygiene, clothes freshly washed, etc. Unless you are peeing on your Arko stick, then there might be some resemblance.

:laugh:
There is some regional influence I guess

Ammonia in water acts as a caustic but weak base. ... In fact, in ancient Rome, vessels for collecting urine were commonplace on streets–passers-by would relieve themselves into them and when the vats were full their contents were taken to a fullonica (a laundry), diluted with water and poured over dirty clothes.

After 7 years in this hobby, I finally picked up some Arko stick to see what the deal is.

Scent: I get citronella. It's not unpleasant to me at all. Actually, I sorta like it. Makes me want to go camping. Mosquitoes will fear me.

It lathers up quickly and easily, but the lather itself isn't all that great. Not much slickness and I find the soap to be pretty drying on my face.

But for ~$1 a stick, ya... hard to ignore the value.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After 7 years in this hobby, I finally picked up some Arko stick to see what the deal is.

Scent: I get citronella. It's not unpleasant to me at all. Actually, I sorta like it. Makes me want to go camping. Mosquitoes will fear me.

It lathers up quickly and easily, but the lather itself isn't all that great. Not much slickness and I find the soap to be pretty drying on my face.

But for ~$1 a stick, ya... hard to ignore the value.
It will get better, performance wise, as you get used to it. But....it can be drying!

I can understand the citronella candle reference. They smell good to me. I've seen people practically bathe in DEET spray so how offensive could ARKO scent be?
Well I have incognito less mosquito body soap with citronella which I tend to use all summer. And I like stirling electric sheep which is citronella. Arko beats them both. And yeah last time in asia I did not use deet critters stayed away with all that soapy glory. Tjiktjaks still stayed on the ceilings and ladies did not run away either so it was not that strong.

Incognito citronella soap (does not shave well you need arko or stirling for that) Luxury Java Citronella Soap | lessmosquito Howad Ltd. - https://www.lessmosquito.com/categories/anti-mosquito-products/product/luxury-java-citronella-soap
They have other matching citronella stuff ;-)

Last edited:
I’m going to attempt to offer a legitimate scent review here. Among positive opinions I’ve read, guys will say it smells like “Ivory” on steroids or “clean and soapy,” and I don’t disagree. But to add a bit to that, I used to call this scent “Turkish barbershop.” I made a homemade soap a couple of years ago with a blend of orange and lavender essential oils. The first thing I thought of when lathering it was Ivory. Then I made an attempt to Arko-ize it. I made another batch with litsea cubeba oil - which has a scent very like lemongrass - instead of orange. It was edging toward Arko, but the pitch of the citrus still wasn’t sharp enough.
I don’t think Arko has essential oils in it. I’m sure it’s all aroma chemicals. Some linalool. Loads of limonene. Citronellol. But there are some herbaceous notes that sharpen it, too, and a light white floral - not clear enough to call it neroli, just faintly floral. It’s actually a bit of a nose-tickling thing, as well. That tingle in the nostrils that I get with Harris Arlington (admittedly a more complex and polished scent). Some musk and a very light woodiness in there too.
Cleaning products have used citrus forever, and light floral notes are in some urinal cakes and so I understand the associations people have with the aroma. But it’s more complex than any urinal cake or floor cleaner, and it isn’t nearly as industrial. Go sniff some Dettol shave cream if you want an industrial cleaner or urinal cake smell.
Arko isn’t refined. It isn’t magical. It’s an Everyman soap that won’t clash with an aftershave or cologne. It has loose associations with barbershops and showers and laundry rooms. I guess they could buy a knockoff fragrance oil that smells like Aventus and dump it in there and charge you $25 for it, but at a buck a stick, a generic Eau de Cologne scent is okay with me. I have always thought it smelled like I wanted Williams mug soap to smell after seeing the picture on the box, which is to say better than the flat citronella scent of Williams.
I would say that if you ever splashed on 4711 as an aftershave, you’d get a similar olfactive experience. Classic. Clean. A bit basic.
But good.

Top Bottom