What's new

Opinions on a watch

Screenshot_20190818-091902_Gallery.jpg
I have been reading through the forums trying to figure out a decent affordable watch that I can wear with most of my wardrobe and I think think I rather like this very simple Seiko watch. Was wondering watch ya think?

I have owned several of these over the years, showing them more abuse than an automatic watch should take in my blue collar job. It has become my go to for a work watch. I too, like the simple, yet classic design. Go for it.

I bought a black faced '5' and a couple NATO bands before Christmas and when my wife saw mine she bought her own. Both very happy with ours.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
trying to figure out a decent affordable watch that I can wear with most of my wardrobe
I think that looks like a good option to fill that role, especially if you want to get only one watch rather than several of different styles.

It is a fine watch but hopefully you understand it has limitations such as the power reserve is reportably not that great (but perfectly fine for an everyday watch) and the accuracy may not be good unless you regulate the movement. I say that as someone who has gotten use to quartz watch accuracy and does not enjoy resetting the time on my unregulated Seiko SARB every week when I chose to wear it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
5428E58E-09F3-49B8-970F-C4B206D982AB.jpeg
Here is my Seiko 5. I have had it since the mid 1990’s. Wore it everyday, lost it then found it again. Never been serviced but it could do with one now. Just remember that if you don’t wear it for a day or two or you are not that active for a day or two they can wind down and stop. Great watch though.

Automatic watches are great but the eventually need a service. Not sure of the cost on a Seiko service but my Hamilton runs about a hundred every 5 to 8 years. My Omega Speedmaster Day/Date due to its complex movement runs about 325 every 8 years. Which really isn't bad compaired to changing the battery in a 500 meter dive watch that costs me 125 every 3 years mainly due to replacing seals and the 500m water test. Very few places test that deep.

Automatic watches are great but the eventually need a service. Not sure of the cost on a Seiko service but my Hamilton runs about a hundred every 5 to 8 years. My Omega Speedmaster Day/Date due to its complex movement runs about 325 every 8 years. Which really isn't bad compaired to changing the battery in a 500 meter dive watch that costs me 125 every 3 years mainly due to replacing seals and the 500m water test. Very few places test that deep.

Thank you. I was not aware of the servicing that needs to be done. I've never owned a mechanical watch. I always bought the atomic solar powered G shock watches but they are huge and busy looking watches. I think the Seiko will be worth the maintenance for what I am looking for.

I think of the Seiko 5 watches as nearly being disposable (in a good way). Meaning wear one in good health for 10-25+ years or however long one can get decent service from it. Then if the watch has sentimental appeal get it serviced or replace the movement, otherwise it has done the task (like your everyday commuting vehicle) and get a new one.

I do not see anything not to like about that Seiko.

I have been pretty happy with Vostok recently. The crystals, at least on what I have, are plastic and perhaps more prone to scratching than the crystals of most watches, but it has not really been any bigger problem than for any watch I have.

I think of the Seiko 5 watches as nearly being disposable (in a good way). Meaning wear one in good health for 10-25+ years or however long one can get decent service from it. Then if the watch has sentimental appeal get it serviced or replace the movement, otherwise it has done the task (like your everyday commuting vehicle) and get a new one.

Agreed. When the time comes I'm not paying to service any of my 0-150$ mechanical watches. Maybe by then I will have learned to do it myself.

Great watch. I might consider replacing the bracelet for a leather strap at some point.

Most Seikos in the sub 200.00 price point have the 7s26 or 7s36 movement. The movement is extremely robust and will keep time for 20+ years without service. By keeping time i mean that you might have to set it a minute or two fast or slow and let it move into being on point so to speak. The pattern can repeat itself.

Factory service for that movement is 125-150 IIRC. At the point it really stops keeping time, you replace with a new one unless sentimental value drives you to do otherwise.

Agreed. When the time comes I'm not paying to service any of my 0-150$ mechanical watches. Maybe by then I will have learned to do it myself.

Might even go higher. I can buy a brand new Sellita 200-x movement for under $200 and have it swapped out in around 30 minutes or less. I like my Orients and low end Glycine but the reality is for any ETA2824/sw200-1 based watch is that the movement isn't worth the cost of a full tear down clean and lube. Beware any clean and lube less than $200. All they're doing is removing the movement from the hands and dial, dunking in a cleaner and then combo rinse/lube, wiping the excess, and putting it back together. ETA and Sellita spec 4 different lubes and greases (plus epilame) for correct servicing.

Top Bottom