What's new

Opinions needed on new honing stone purchase

Hello everyone my name is Corey I'm a new member and this is my first post. I am fairly new to straight razors but not new to honing although I am not familiar with the thuringian hones. I just purchased a thuri on an auction site as a matter of fact I haven't even took delivery of it yet. The hone is a Fox no. 44 extra soft thuringian hone with rubbing stone. It's dimensions are approximately 7" × 1 5/8" x 3/4" . It looks to be in decent condition although the box finish and outside box label isnt the greatest. My question is at $290 did I pay too much for this vintage thuringian hone? I wanted to ask you guys what you thought while I still have a chance to return it. Here are some photos of the stone in question. I apologize about the quality of the pics they are just screenshots from the sellers listing because I don't have the stone in my possession yet to take better photos of it. Thank you guys very much for your time and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-212444_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-212444_eBay.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20211223-212300_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-212300_eBay.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20211223-212144_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-212144_eBay.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20211223-212208_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-212208_eBay.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20211223-212348_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-212348_eBay.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20211223-212406_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-212406_eBay.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 40

Legion

Staff member
We are not allowed to give valuations, but having said that, that is not an unusual price for a 7" Thuri.

Whether it is too much is up to you, and how much use you will get out of it. After all, it will last a lifetime of use, and you cant say that about many $290 items.

We are not allowed to give valuations, but having said that, that is not an unusual price for a 7" Thuri.

Whether it is too much is up to you, and how much use you will get out of it. After all, it will last a lifetime of use, and you cant say that about many $290 items.
tell that to my Gucci briefs

My deepest apologies about the price evaluation question. I wrote this post before I got the email from B&B about the forum rules and eddicasy. I would also like to add that the seller of this stone told me multiple times that if for any reason I wasn't happy with this stone that I could return it no questions asked. I think I will keep this stone regardless of its value vs purchase price. Thanks for the responses

My deepest apologies about the price evaluation question. I wrote this post before I got the email from B&B about the forum rules and eddicasy. I would also like to add that the seller of this stone told me multiple times that if for any reason I wasn't happy with this stone that I could return it no questions asked. I think I will keep this stone regardless of its value vs purchase price. Thanks for the responses

You’ll be keeping it, it’s top notch stone. You didn’t get hurt on the transaction.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just a general observation in life, not specific to this item. If the cost is going to cause undue burden, then seek the advice of close friends who have traveled this road before you. If the cost is nothing more than an ordinary expense for any other casual item that you buy for yourself, then just buy it and try it. Ask for approval if that makes you feel better, I do this all the time. If the item doesn’t satisfy you, then get rid of it.

This way, even a bad purchase might only cost you a pittance and a great bargain is still a great bargain even if no one else agrees with you.

Thuris are excellent finishing stones and one of the easier ones to use. That is a good size one too. The non-Escher labels offer much better bang for your buck. I think that stone will serve you well. You may want to consider picking up an Atoma diamond plate to flatten the surface.

Just a general observation in life, not specific to this item. If the cost is going to cause undue burden, then seek the advice of close friends who have traveled this road before you. If the cost is nothing more than an ordinary expense for any other casual item that you buy for yourself, then just buy it and try it. Ask for approval if that makes you feel better, I do this all the time. If the item doesn’t satisfy you, then get rid of it.

This way, even a bad purchase might only cost you a pittance and a great bargain is still a great bargain even if no one else agrees with you.

👏👏👏 ^ Wisdom ^

---

I don't know much about 'market value' of various Thuris myself, but I'd echo what others have said.

When I first got one I was half expecting to think they were a bit over-hyped... they're not. Thuris are excellent; lovely to use, and very easy to get seriously impressive results. I suspect the high prices are here to stay.

All of mine are smaller than yours too; even small ones are workable because of how easy they are, but having the extra runway that yours has is going to be even better. You'll love it!

(Plus - imagine the even more astronomical prices they'd be fetching if they were as pretty as some other stones. *cough* jnats *cough*. The price of Thuris is all about how good they are.)

The "best" name in vintage Thuringens is Escher. They are considered to be some of the best hones available. However, there are other brands of vintage Thuringens that should also be excellent. Every natural stone is different since it is a product of nature rather than a manufacturing plant, so it is impossible for anyone to tell you how good this particular The Fox stone might be, even if they have used other stones with this label.

There are similar stones still being mined from the area around Thuringen. The consensus of most shavers who have used them is that the vintage stones are superior, especially the ones from Escher. I have a modern Thuringen from Timbertools; I did not pay anywhere near as much as you paid for The Fox. It is a decent hone, but it is not fine enough for me to use it as a finishing hone. Hopefully, your vintage hone will produce a great edge once you learn how to use it.

We often recommend that new straight razor shavers start with synthetic hone as anyone with a similar hone can teach you how to use it. That is not always the case with natural hones. Every one is slightly different. Thus, you will need to experiment with different techniques until you find out which works best with your specific Thuringen. However, watching honing videos of those using similar Thuringens will help.

Thuringians are the Honda Accord/Toyota truck of hones, dependable.

Fox are good hone, but then all my Thuringians hone, labeled or not make good edges.

Valuations are just opinions, and opinions can cause problems. They are not making any more Fox Hones.

Yes, you did good for a labeled hone, enjoy.

If well cared for it'll last multiple lifetimes as I imagine it's already last at least 1. In my opinion it's worth it to buy heirloom quality stones when given the option/ability because they can still go down many generations.

Top Bottom