What's new

Opinions: Keep or Throw Back?

I'm still new to the safety razor realm, and don't have a great deal of experience regarding what is and what is not a major alignment issue. Long story short, I have right of refusal on this razor and would like opinions on whether it may possibly be fixed. Opposite side is undamaged, and the razor is in overall good shape
IMG_7262.JPG

Probably repairable (hard to know from a pic) and while a nice semi hard to find piece I wouldn't overpay for it. Condition is everything to me anyway.

The alignment looks to be quite off but can be fixed. The "spider" assembly, as Gillette referred to it as is misaligned right now and the razor has to be somewhat taken apart to address the issue. I don't feel comfortable working on TTO's yet so this would be out of the question for me to repair myself and if you wanted a professional to do it it could get expensive. If you didn't pay less than 50% of what one would cost in similar condition without the problem, I would throw it back.

R

romsitsa

Throw back (to me).
Early models tend to have this problem, guess this is why Gillette introduced endcaps after the war.
While it is a major alignment issue, it can be bent back into position. If you don't feel comfortable fiddling around with brass ask someone, who does such repairs, for a quote.

Adam

It’s fixable. The knurling shows little wear. At the right price it’s a winner, and a great candidate for a replate.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
As Doug said that’s an easy fix. You may never find another Aristocrat.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm on the it's an easy fix and if the price is good for you, go for it train. That's one of my grails, I'd be all over it if the price was good for me.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If the price is right you could get and if all you need is a spanner to tweak it back into position then all is good. A nice razor saved.

The 1 unknown that is a major deciding factor is the price. Is it priced as damaged or for full value is the determiner. Glad you think you got her tweaked and usable. They are pretty razors :thumbsup:

The 1 unknown that is a major deciding factor is the price. Is it priced as damaged or for full value is the determiner. Glad you think you got her tweaked and usable. They are pretty razors :thumbsup:
I may have fixed it using the 'spanner' method. (Thanks Doug/nemo) Going to clean it up and take it for a test drive. If it shaves well, it's a keeper.

I may have fixed it using the 'spanner' method. (Thanks Doug/nemo) Going to clean it up and take it for a test drive. If it shaves well, it's a keeper.

Excellent and glad you tweaked it up. Good price, go for it...they are beautiful razors. Mine needs an end cap (younger than yours) but it is in and great shape and shaves very well...enjoy!

Update: Two days' worth of shaves with the Aristocrat. It shaves very well. A tad bit aggressive, but overall a fine piece of engineering. I did one pass both days with the Aristocrat, and a second pass with a Feather AS-D2 that I just acquired and also wanted to try out. Definitely a stark contrast, but the finished product was excellent. THANKS to everyone for their input. After seeing a similar razor just sell for nearly 2X what I paid for this one (mine has the gold case), I am pleased with my decision.

Update: Two days' worth of shaves with the Aristocrat. It shaves very well. A tad bit aggressive, but overall a fine piece of engineering. I did one pass both days with the Aristocrat, and a second pass with a Feather AS-D2 that I just acquired and also wanted to try out. Definitely a stark contrast, but the finished product was excellent. THANKS to everyone for their input. After seeing a similar razor just sell for nearly 2X what I paid for this one (mine has the gold case), I am pleased with my decision.
That would be a US 1936 Aristocrat. Glad you got it up and running!

Top Bottom