What's new

opinions for a dive watch

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have an Omega I like quite a bit. I got it on an Omega forum in like new condition for less than half price.

Orient Kamasu (aka Mako III) Hand windable/hackable in house movement. Sapphire Crystal. Under 300 all day long.
I am less high on the Seikos in this price range as you have to spend a lot more to get a Sapphire crystal/hackable windable movement.

Concur re Christopher Ward at the high end. 5 yr warranty is a nice touch. Swiss Selita/ETA based movement. A GMT complication may be had when you catch them on sale at the 1k pricepoint.

Shooting the gap in the middle, perhaps a Jomashop stocked Tissot Seastar. 80 hour movement and all the usual bells and whistle re crystal, case, movement etc at 500 ish shipped Mido has some offerings with a similar 80 hour movement in the sub 1k range at Jomashop as well.

Let us know what you do.

Agreed on the Doxa - they are decent quality and come up on the watch forums at acceptable prices if you look out. Very solid cases with ETA movements that hold up pretty well. If you can't stand bright orange they make them in silver or black dial for most models as well. At the bargain end, I have enjoyed some of the Maranez models since the brass patinizes nicely.

Attachments

• 300T.jpg
    300T.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2012-12-15-499.jpg
    2012-12-15-499.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Christopher Ward has its sale going right now. 50% off on some closeout models. 30 % on others.
Many choices under the 1k range.

When I graduated from college in the 70's, I went to work as a divemaster on a Texas A&M University research vessel. I needed a dependable watch because I would be making decompression dives. With limited sources I went to Service Merchandise and bought a Seiko. Now, 40 + yrs. later, only replacing batteries and one cleaning at the Jewelers. I have a watch that keeps perfect time and is still my favorite timepiece.
IMG_20200115_190337~2.jpg

Having owned a few of the aforementioned watches here, including the Seikos and the Marathon GSAR, there is but one watch still in my collection that makes the grade, even after 3000+ dives: The Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph ref# 2599.80. If you want to flex "dive watch," do it like a boss with the best.

Attachments

• 20190930_161402.jpg
    20190930_161402.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 26
When I graduated from college in the 70's, I went to work as a divemaster on a Texas A&M University research vessel. I needed a dependable watch because I would be making decompression dives. With limited sources I went to Service Merchandise and bought a Seiko. Now, 40 + yrs. later, only replacing batteries and one cleaning at the Jewelers. I have a watch that keeps perfect time and is still my favorite timepiece.View attachment 1053043
I bought my TAG 2000 Classic at a Service Merchandise in Charlotte, NC around the same time. This one has only been on a fe hundred dives over the past 20/25 years.

Attachments

• 20190921_184807_001.jpg
    20190921_184807_001.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 9
If you are a "real" diver and have the money to spend on a watch: get the real thing- a new Rolex.
A little off topic, but you could buy a nice watch, one so nice that you decide that it should not be used for diving. Then leave it in a safety deposit box for 50 years and see what happens....:eek2:
In my opinion watches are like horses. You don't buy a horse and leave in in the stable. A watch is meant to be worn and enjoyed.
😁

In my opinion watches are like horses. You don't buy a horse and leave in in the stable. A watch is meant to be worn and enjoyed.
😁
+1 on that, every scuff is the sign of another adventure! Let’s face it, almost no watch is an investment, like cars they usually become worthless over time - you are buying an experience. Make the most of it!

Hello,

at this price point I would tend to search a used H2O. These watches are built like tanks with decent movements and second hand you'll get them rather cheap. This is because every H2O is custom made if you buy new you can choose between dials, movements, bezels, date / non date. The drawback is that you can't sell them easily because your taste may not be anyone others taste.

Just go to WatchRecon - The Most Intelligent Search Engine for Private Watch Sales - https://www.watchrecon.com/ and search for the watch you like.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm guessing that your initial post was meant to read 250 - 1K. If that is the case, either respond here or drop me a note and I can edit it for you.

I haven't looked at prices in a while, but I would look for a used Sinn U1. Great watch and should be available inside of a grand.
You may not have seen it, because he didn’t respond directly to you, but in post 24 the OP said it was indeed a typo.

Throw a Sinn EZM 3 into the mix. I have one it’s bulletproof.

I also agree, you can’t go wrong with a Seiko. Great watch for the price.

The Sinn EZM 3 is far out of the price range and Seiko has some quality issues in the sub 1k market. Things like not right set bezels, twisted dials and the like.

Top Bottom