What's new

Opinions about Pilot Vanishing Point?

Platinum's new Curidas will be around $80 and now has an April release.

I followed your link. Interesting. Probably wouldn't get one at this point, since I already have the VP and Decimo, but if I had neither, it would certainly be worth considering. And I like the removable pocket clip. But it's all about how it writes. I rarely need to do the sort of protracted start and stop writing, say taking notes in a meeting or class, that makes the retractable function really useful, as opposed to merely cool.

Here it is and I’m a bit confused about the difference between VP with the gold nib and “capless” versions. On the pocket it read “capless” and this one also has a black nib. The one on amazon doesn’t have a black nib according to the photos. Paid $140 plus sales tax.
photo attached.
Is this a genuine Pilot BP 18 K gold nib?
5595C390-3783-4D13-901C-F16AB9211059.jpeg

I always kept a Vanishing Point as one of the 2 pens in my dress shirt pocket.
Of course one must have the nib reground to cursive ( thanks Richard Binder!)
When I was out and about I'd use it to sign receipts and such in front of people.
Most didn't know how it could possibly work and elicited a great conversation. ( followed by handing it to them to click--"now you see it; now you don't!" Kids love it!
Of course the ink must be a color other than blue or black. Galileo Manuscript Brown was my favorite.
One of my friends wanted one so I gave him mine. Something to remember me by. Creating great memories is the best gift

Here it is and I’m a bit confused about the difference between VP with the gold nib and “capless” versions. On the pocket it read “capless” and this one also has a black nib. The one on amazon doesn’t have a black nib according to the photos. Paid $140 plus sales tax.
photo attached.
View attachment 1080765
Probably so. I think the newest ones have the black 18k nib. If u look on goulet, they show it with the black nib. Mine has the rhodium (silver colored) 18k nib, but I bought mine in 2012.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

photo attached.
View attachment 1080765
take out the nib. It should say 18k750 on it. You may need your readers, age depending.

photo attached.
View attachment 1080765

Capless is just the Japanese name for the VP. So if it's packaged for American market, it'll say Vanishing Point, but if it's for the Japanese market, it'll say Capless. Pilots tend to be less expensive in Japan (sometimes by a lot), so importing Japanese models isn't an uncommon way for people to get Pilots for a lot less money than if they'd gone through official American channels.

Looks fine to me...I have the all-black VP, and it's also got a black nib. It should just be black-painted gold.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well there lies a short story. I'm using both but mainly cartridges. SWMBO bought me 10 carts in black but pressed the buy now button for 100 packets of 6 carts. She then thought "hmm 10 wont be enough" so clicked on 200 packets of 6.

You sent her out to buy toilet paper a few weeks back, didn't you?

I have been writing with my VP for the last couple of days and I am enjoying it. I am especially impressed with the fine nib. The click sound is also very satisfying. The pen screams quality to me. It fits nicely in my hand. For now it’s tied with my Lamy 2000 for first place.

Thanks B&B!

It fits nicely in my hand.

That's the real "love it or hate it" thing about the VP...some people just can't get past the position of the clip. Be careful about slipping into FPAD, though, or you might end up like me with multiple VPs, plus a Decimo and a Fermo for good measure. :lol:

I mainly use pilot blue or blue/black and the Sailor carbon inks. These are good on cheap paper and also have very good water resistance.

I've had various VPs over the years and recently got the bug to have another one, so picked it up a few months ago. I like it a lot. The one thing with the Japanese nibs is to remember that they're always finer than the U.S./European brands. So if you normally write with a fine nib, you'll want a medium in the VP.

Top Bottom