What's new

Opinion s on Hawkins and Brimble shave cream?

I am a big fan of the H&B post shave balm. I am thinking of getting their shaving cream. Has anyone tried this and if so what are your thoughts?

I love the balm, but I'm not a huge fan of the shave cream. I too jumped on the bandwagon after using the balm hoping the cream would perform equally well. I wrote a review last summer on Fendrihan's website after only 1 use and praised it well. But over this last year, I've got to say my view has changed. It smells great, lathers OK, but to me it lacks slickness, which I praised in the review. It also seems to dry me out faster than other creams which is maybe why they sell the companion balm. The difference between it and some of my favorite Stirling and Chiseled Face soaps is night and day. Another thing is that it's very soft like cake icing and I always seemed to overload my brush when making a lather. So much so that the tin didn't last very long for me. I won't buy it again. Like all things shaving, your experience may be a polar opposite of mine. My 2 cents.

I had a bit of a false start with this product in so much as the first one I bought was, what I presume to be, old stock based on a different formula. Although the tin says cream it is hard like a soap.

Having bought a new tin my view of it is that I like it.

The scent is pleasant, the cream leathers well and I personally had no problem with lack of slickness.

One unusual quality is the tingly sensation on the face

I purchased a tin of the H&B shave cream...and this morning was my first shave and I must say it was an absolute delight. I scraped off the bit of cream that was stuck to the bottom of the lid and applied it to my wetted face and worked up a fine lather...enough for three passes (even though I only usually do a 1 or 2 pass shave). The cream is very soft, similar to a TOBS or GFT cream. Super slick and nice scent to boot. It pairs perfectly with the ASB. This cream is a keeper.

I got the face wash, pre-shave scrub, eye cream and post-shave balm, based on the idea that the elemi & ginsing were a novel and probably healthy approach to skin care from a quality brand. The one product I didn't get was the shaving cream. I'm very pleased with the performance of the products but underwhelmed by the scent, something akin to an unscented apothecary soap or cream. Assuming the shave cream is the same scent, I'll pass, even though I imagine it's skin softening properties would be excellent, that is, if the post-shave balm is anything to go by.

I got the face wash, pre-shave scrub, eye cream and post-shave balm, based on the idea that the elemi & ginsing were a novel and probably healthy approach to skin care from a quality brand. The one product I didn't get was the shaving cream. I'm very pleased with the performance of the products but underwhelmed by the scent, something akin to an unscented apothecary soap or cream. Assuming the shave cream is the same scent, I'll pass, even though I imagine it's skin softening properties would be excellent, that is, if the post-shave balm is anything to go by.

Yes the scent is the same

Top Bottom