What's new

Opinion on CZ Shotguns

So whats the opinion on CZ shotguns?
To be clear, not looking for something to keep lock away or babied.
Would be a general purpose "do a bit of everything" gun, that I can bang up and not worry about.
I've always had good luck with CZ handguns but have little experience with them outside of that.

Pump, semi, O/U or SxS?
To be honest I'm not set on anything specific. I've used everything at one time or another.
More looking for a general idea of quality control since they are made in Turkey.
What got me looking was the 1012 but I'm by no means set on semi-autos.
Like I said, mostly looking for a general opinion of anyone that's put some time on CZ shotguns.

I don't have a lot of trigger time on CZ shotguns, but do shoot clays a few days a week and have gotten to try a few owned by others. I do get to see what others use and how they hold up. I can't say that I have seen any CZ failures. I also have seen any that were shot a high round count, though.

You mention the 1012. I would also give the Beretta A300 a look. I believe they are in the same price range.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I won a CZ 912 semiauto 12 ga. I only shot it once. It's a lighter weight gun than my Browning A500 G, so it has a bit more recoil, but not bad. I've only shot low brass target loads through it. I don't know what the retail value of the gun is, but I think it is on the lower end of the spectrum. It seemed to function OK, but I much prefer my Browning, but that perhaps is not a fair comparison. As for long term use, I can't comment.

The Stoeger shottys(Turkish) are a great value for the money. Given their experience (from the M2000 up to the M3500) it would not surprise me if they were making the guns & CZ was doing the roll mark.

I would expect a good gun from CZ.

The Stoeger shottys(Turkish) are a great value for the money. Given their experience (from the M2000 up to the M3500) it would not surprise me if they were making the guns & CZ was doing the roll mark.

I would expect a good gun from CZ.
I'm 99% sure CZ shotguns are made by Huglu

You are correct. CZs are a rebranded Huglu. Since CZ has merged with Colt it’s hard to say what they are producing of late. No idea if they have made changes to their specifications for the current CZ/Huglu product.
Most of the Turkish product we have seen come through the shop is kinda cobby. Classic example of “getting what you are paying for”.
Probably the best value today for an auto loader is the Beretta A300 Outlander. Mossberg 500 for a pump is a legit move. Browning BPS is even better for a few $$ more.

Last edited:
I can vouch that Turkish O/U and S/S shotguns are a mixed bag of quality. They can look great on the outside, but the actions are rubbish, triggers feel horrible, ejectors are usually weak kicking out spent hulls, and the bluing is worse than Browning’s A5 bluing which is hard to accomplish. I fell victim to buying several while living there because they looked great. The Turkish semis are budget entry level guns at best, but I do enjoy seeing their owners fighting with them on the range clearing jams and misfeeds.

@MileMarker60
Recently picked up a CZ Bobwhite SxS in 12 gauge. No complaints whatsoever. Granted…it ain’t no Beretta Parallello but at $625.00 vs $5,000.00 it’s a valid choice.

Top Bottom