What's new

Opinion: A proper lather is at least half the secret of a good shave

Do you think that a proper lather is at least half the secret of a good shave?

• I don't need no stinking lather!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, if you are going to assume a sharp blade, I'm going to say "Assuming you use ARKO."

My current Astra SP blade has 73 saves on it.

Now that we've eliminated the blade and the soap, all that's left is technique.

Q.E.D.
LOL... I get 3 to 6 shaves out of an AC blade. I can't imagine getting 73 shaves out of a blade.

My point, however poorly made, was questioning if people here are shaving with dull blades. Is that a common practice?

For me, a decent lather is less than half of a good shave. A properly honed razor or a still sharp DE/SE blade will always be more important than the lather in my opinion.

I can shave with a sharp blade and mediocre lather and get a satisfactory result. A dull blade and the perfect lather still leads to a bad shave.

I'm sure everyone would agree that the combination of proper technique, a decent blade (of your preference), and a great lather leads to a superb shaving experience.

Gillette Double Ring

CHECK OUT THE FIRST TWO PAGES OF TEXT in these 1904 Instructions:
1904-Doublering-Instructions.jpg

Photo from mr-razor.com

These pie charts may make things clearer. There is no priority to the percentages.

If you think the green slice of the pie in the first pic is at least big enough, then vote "yes."

Else, if you think the green part of the pie in the first pic is too big, then vote "no."

For example, vote "no" if the second pic is more to your liking -- the percentage there is just an example. Vote "no" if you think the blue slice of the pie should be greater than the green slice.

It's like the 80/20 rule. 80% of the people do 20% of the work. 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Almost anyone can do 80% of a given task. Only high performers can complete that last 20%. (This assumes the task is non-trivial and requires some sort of expertise.)

Attachments

• Lather1.jpg
    Lather1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Lather2.jpg
    Lather2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I imagine since I'm 10+ years into shaving with a DE razor and blades my technique is so dialed in that I don't think about it much. My immediate answer was lather was very important since I don't think much about the hardware I use anymore. That said I do realize there are a number of razors I've owned that just never got along with me regardless of how I jimmied my technique to use them.

I have to contemplate this riddle some more. Maybe I'll lather up my Sir Irisch Moos tomorrow and think through the issue.

My DE shaving took a very good turn when I first started whipping up the lather. I had been using Barbasol, and every DE shave was accompanied by several weepers and a nick or two, at least. Enter Cella shave soap, the cuts and weepers appeared only occasionally.
So, for me, a proper lather is required for a successful DE shave.
Great poll!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Nah. It definitely helps and I prefer a great lather, but I can still lay down a dfs with Cremo, Barbasol or a gel if need be. Hardware and technique trump lather. YMMV.

Nah. It definitely helps and I prefer a great lather, but I can still lay down a dfs with Cremo, Barbasol or a gel if need be. Hardware and technique trump lather. YMMV.
The product you use doesn't matter -- as long as it works for you.
😀

IMHO, my lather advice to someone getting into non-cartridge/non-electric wet shaving for the first time would be this:

1. If your prior shaving experience did not involve any kind of lather, pick up a can of Barbasol. Choose the variety that you think will be a good match for your skin (sensitive, original, aloe, etc.) The theory here is that if a newbie tries to make lather with a brush and cream or soap, there is a good chance that it will be worse than what comes out of a can. Work on technique, etc., until you feel you are ready to try a brush with soap or cream.

2. If your prior shaving experience did involve using lather, then try a brush with soap or cream. This will allow a newbie to get some experience with lathering technique. However, use the razor that you were using before, until you get at least as good a shave as you got before. Then, and only then, try to shave with your new razor.

I imagine since I'm 10+ years into shaving with a DE razor and blades my technique is so dialed in that I don't think about it much. My immediate answer was lather was very important since I don't think much about the hardware I use anymore. That said I do realize there are a number of razors I've owned that just never got along with me regardless of how I jimmied my technique to use them.

I have to contemplate this riddle some more. Maybe I'll lather up my Sir Irisch Moos tomorrow and think through the issue.

I know it's hard to quantify something that's so subjective. I'm confusing myself now. 😀
To make it even more confusing, I would say that once I figured out the best lather for me, my shaves improved roughly 50%.

I know it's hard to quantify something that's so subjective. I'm confusing myself now. 😀
To make it even more confusing, I would say that once I figured out the best lather for me, my shaves improved roughly 50%.
It’s complicated for me because there are times I slap wet goopy mess on my face and get a good shave in spite of that. There are times I put on high quality lather after dotting all the i’s and crossing all the t’s and it is a disaster. Sometimes that is hardware, sometimes that is technique, and sometimes Mercury is just in retrograde.

All that said I tend to get better results when my lather is on point. I think to me my lather defines the ceiling I’m able to get while the hardware often decides the floor. This is for me right now at this moment in my shave journey. That could change next week :)

It’s fun to think about.

Not only is a proper lather a key to a more comfortable and proper shave, the need to allow the lather to sit on and into the whiskers is paramount. Most American boys were probably not taught about how to properly condition the whiskers to prepare them for shaving. Speaking from experience, we were taught to lather up with the canned goo and start shaving almost immediately.

We here on B&B know full well that a lather should be left on the beard for some time to allow it to properly saturate the hairs to prepare them for the edge of the blade.

I guess I am a contrarian. The general consensus is to shower then shave. I shave first. Next, so many folks prefer an aggressive razor and do fewer passes. For me, a milder razor and more passes work better. So many here love Astra SP blades. For me, they are just middle of the road. Now for my observations about lather.

The first step should be to identify for the individual what constitutes a good lather. On the shave of the day sub forum I see many photos of lather that looks a pretty ice cream cone. The lather looks great in photos but for me that lather lacks sufficient water to provide a good shave. Some would say my lather looks watery - but that lather provides sufficient lubrication to insure a good, smooth shave.

For me, the razor and blades, and brushes are subjective factors that will differ from individual to individual. Some folks have skin that is tough and can withstand the most aggressive razors. However, now that I am 80 and take certain meds, my skin is not as tough as it once was. For me, technique is the most important part of shaving. As you become more proficient technique becomes second nature and you rarely think about it. However, once you alter your technique you will find your shaves my suffer.

However, lather is something that can vary tremendously depending on the brand of soap and how you make lather. Some have a tough time making lather with MWF or Williams, for example, and the lather they get from that type of soap is lacking. Then there are soaps that are easier to lather and the results show.

In summary, I divide the shave into various categories. Your hardware: brush, razor and blade. Your software: soaps and creams. Finally, your technique. For me they are equally important so lather is 1/3 of the equation for a good shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Assuming you use ARKO.

Assuming one uses ARKO! is a very dynamic assumption. The person could be a comfort-forward engineer of stubble slaying. Maybe just a bon vivant living in the lap of luxury. Perhaps a shallow-angle enjoying wetshaver gaining more slickness and efficiency from that DE backstroke mentioned by @GaryTha himself.

Or someone who misread a previous post in this thread about archery in the vain hope using ARKO! will improve one’s projectile game. We will omit mention of me for that one…

Assuming one uses ARKO! is a very dynamic assumption. The person could be a comfort-forward engineer of stubble slaying. Maybe just a bon vivant living in the lap of luxury. Perhaps a shallow-angle enjoying wetshaver gaining more slickness and efficiency from that DE backstroke mentioned by @GaryTha himself.

Or someone who misread a previous post in this thread about archery in the vain hope using ARKO! will improve one’s projectile game. We will omit mention of me for that one…

Isn't it impossible to get a bad shave when using Arko?

19853988031.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Isn't it impossible to get a bad shave when using Arko?

Everyone can have a bad shave using ARKO! and some people have negative skin reactions to it guaranteeing only bad shaves, but most people can also have stellar shaves with it. Versatile that way.

Depends on how you define proper lather. It has to be hydrated enough but not over hydrated which is a trap people fall into often, lots of water in the lather isn’t the goal, a properly hydrated lather is. Of course technique etc matter too, but honestly lather makes the biggest difference to me. Like if I had to choose between giving up SE/DE razors or brush/soap/cream…I’d give up the razors.

Top Bottom