What's new

Operation Neptune Anniversary

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Today marks the anniversary of Operation Neptune (D-Day). Take a moment to appreciate the sacrifice made by the men who stormed that beach in 1944. As a Coast Guardsman I am particularly mindful to raise a glass to my fellow service members who took part in that invasion. The landing craft that day were piloted by Coast Guard coxswains and one of the most iconic photos of the event was taken by a Coast Guard member. Due to our mission set we are often glossed over as "not a real" military branch. That's okay...but the Coast Guard Ensign carrys with it battle streamers from every major US conflict since 1790 and our inception predates the United States Navy. I'm a proud Coast Guardsman and always will be...never forget the sacrifices of those who came before.
Screenshot_20200606-160726_Instagram1.jpg

This photo was taken by Coast Guardsmen CPHOM Robert F. Sargent.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Thank you for your service Brandon! I had an opportunity to serve with a few Coasties (probably spelled wrong) when I was deployed to Kuwait in 2003. Great deployment, cool folks too. Will have to share a story though with ya sometime. Rather funny.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Today marks the anniversary of Operation Neptune (D-Day). Take a moment to appreciate the sacrifice made by the men who stormed that beach in 1944. As a Coast Guardsman I am particularly mindful to raise a glass to my fellow service members who took part in that invasion. The landing craft that day were piloted by Coast Guard coxswains and one of the most iconic photos of the event was taken by a Coast Guard member. Due to our mission set we are often glossed over as "not a real" military branch. That's okay...but the Coast Guard Ensign carrys with it battle streamers from every major US conflict since 1790 and our inception predates the United States Navy. I'm a proud Coast Guardsman and always will be...never forget the sacrifices of those who came before.
View attachment 1110070
Hard to imagine isn't it?

View attachment 1110070
Thank you for your service. Although I’m Canadian, it’s not lost on me how the services of the US help protect our country and freedoms worldwide.

And others. I've had the pleasure of serving alongside some of Canada's finest* in both Iraq (a couple passed through) and Kosovo (NATO deployments are such great fun!). I can't say I know them, but I can certainly recognize a professional demeanor when I see it.
*Except for that d-bag from Quebec.

Brandaves, yes, I've given Coast Guardsmen their fair share of, of what? Nearest I can compare it to is sibling teasing. I give it to the Navy and Air Force just as bad. And God help me, I never let an opportunity to throw a couple digs at a former Marine. You know I took my fair share too. But there's a respect underneath it all. That kind of respect a veteran gives another veteran. When it's time to wear the uniform, you're a comrade in arms. That's it, full stop.

And others. I've had the pleasure of serving alongside some of Canada's finest* in both Iraq (a couple passed through) and Kosovo (NATO deployments are such great fun!). I can't say I know them, but I can certainly recognize a professional demeanor when I see it.
*Except for that d-bag from Quebec.

Brandaves, yes, I've given Coast Guardsmen their fair share of, of what? Nearest I can compare it to is sibling teasing. I give it to the Navy and Air Force just as bad. And God help me, I never let an opportunity to throw a couple digs at a former Marine. You know I took my fair share too. But there's a respect underneath it all. That kind of respect a veteran gives another veteran. When it's time to wear the uniform, you're a comrade in arms. That's it, full stop.
Not bad for an Army guy! :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment 1110070
And you should be proud. A Coast Guadrsman won the Metal of Honor on one of the Pacific island invasions as well.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
And you should be proud. A Coast Guadrsman won the Metal of Honor on one of the Pacific island invasions as well.
Douglass Munro was posthumously awarded the Medal Honor for his efforts in providing covering fire for pinned down Marines during a landing in the Pacific theater of war. He was wounded several times will leveling machine gun fire on entrenched Japanese positions. His actions probably saved the lives of hundreds of Marines. He continued to fire until he eventually succumbed to his wounds...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Douglass Munro was posthumously awarded the Medal Honor for his efforts in providing covering fire for pinned down Marines during a landing in the Pacific theater of war. He was wounded several times will leveling machine gun fire on entrenched Japanese positions. His actions probably saved the lives of hundreds of Marines. He continued to fire until he eventually succumbed to his wounds...
Yes and I don’t even what to say about that type of heroism.

Top Bottom