What's new

Opera Suggestions

So we've discovered that my 19 month old son loves opera. I have a little knowledge from a college class, but would like some suggestions for good CDs.
 
Oh man! What a lucky guy. I'm a music student in college (trombone performance/music education), so I love to hear stuff like this from parents.

As far as pure fun, singable stuff, I would check out anything written by Rossini. It's not going to be really heady, intellectual stuff (Rossini was sort of the pop music of his time), but operas like The Barber of Seville are really great to listen to. Songs like "La Donna Mobile" are ones that you've surely heard in commercials, Looney Tunes, etc.

I would also get some Mozart! The Marriage Of Figaro is one of his more famous works, and it's great fun as well. Definitely start out with those two, and go from there!

(As a trombonist, I'm tempted to suggest some Wagner or Mahler --- but it's mostly loud, obnoxious, brassy stuff... and that may or may not sit well with the little guy).
 
as a musician/music teacher myself (percussion and elementary music), i can definitely recommend Mozart's full operatic catalogue, Rossini, Offenbach, and Johann Strauss' two operas: Die Fledermaus,and The Gypsy Baron. This is all generally jovial, light fare. However, while the subject matter is a bit more grown-up, nothing is more beautiful than the melodies of Verdi and Puccini, especially Puccini.

Shane
 
I'd go along with rossination's recommendations--you can't go wrong with Rossini and Mozart, not just for kids either! Both of these composers write very tuneful, melodious operas that are accessible and--importantly--full of short arias and other set pieces.

Like most brass players, my own tastes run more towards Mahler and Wagner (they tend to include more for the trumpets and trombones to "do"--we sit around a lot in Mozart and Rossini!), but I'd hesitate to put a steady diet of that stuff in front of a baby's ears.

If you want to go beyond Mozart and Rossini, you could also get some Gilbert & Sullivan--it's in English, is ripe with jaunty, fun little ditties, and is as light as cotton candy. While its not technically "opera," its close enough and really fun to listen to. Also, most anything Italian will fit the bill.

Most of all, congratulations--my wife and I are both music teachers, and our own kids have not listened to much opera. We're still caught up on the Laurie Berkner Band--yikes!
 
You can't go wrong with Wagner. But my favorite has to be Berlioz's Les Troyens. There is a great recording of it with Colin Davis conducting the London Symphony Orchestra which you can pick up from Amazon. - Justin
 
The best I can do on this subject, "Tommy" by The Who and "Night at the Opera" by Queen. Great classical music!

Randy
 
Thanks for all the great questions. We certainly have enough Wiggles and Doodlebops Tivo'd, so the change in pace is welcome. We were at an Italian restaurant the other night and my son was instantly hooked on the woman singing. She stopped by and sang a song and my son just stared at her with his mouth open. Didn't even blink. At one point a moved in front of him and he pushed me back so he could see her. I've never seen him that way. Now, he could have also been looking at her instead of listening. He does have a thing for the ladies. But we'd like to think it was the music at this age.
 
rtaylor61 said:
"Night at the Opera" by Queen. Great classical music!

Randy

Hey Randy. Preach it brother! I catch more flack from my hard rock or cowboy friends for my like of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. It really was the first rock video. Even though it predated MTV by a few years.

Rossination, I attented my first opera a few months ago. The Marriage of Figaro. This was a English language version and though it frumped the singing in a few places, it was VERY good. The singers had good voices and played the parts well. I'm convinced that these comedies are the place to start for opera newbies. I'm afraid I wouldn't have "gotten" a tragedy. Maybe next time. Now that I've seen the Marriage of Figaro, I shall have to see the original. The Barber of Sevile.

Regards, Todd
 
Phog Allen said:
Hey Randy. Preach it brother! I catch more flack from my hard rock or cowboy friends for my like of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. It really was the first rock video. Even though it predated MTV by a few years.

Rossination, I attented my first opera a few months ago. The Marriage of Figaro. This was a English language version and though it frumped the singing in a few places, it was VERY good. The singers had good voices and played the parts well. I'm convinced that these comedies are the place to start for opera newbies. I'm afraid I wouldn't have "gotten" a tragedy. Maybe next time. Now that I've seen the Marriage of Figaro, I shall have to see the original. The Barber of Sevile.

Regards, Todd

I remember rushing home from work to watch "Burt Sugarman Presents Wolfman Jack and the Midnight Special". Watched the performance and was totally floored. It's the only time I'll own up to being a fan of any Queen!

Randy
 
letterk said:
So we've discovered that my 19 month old son loves opera. I have a little knowledge from a college class, but would like some suggestions for good CDs.

Hi Barry,

what is with "Schuberts- Forellenquintett" or something like "Smetanas-Moldau", very delightful music...

Try it out...

Regards

Thomas
 
crackstar said:
Try listening to me sing hip-hop in the shower! :lol: :lol:

Jeff

Jeff, my friend,

...no Hip-Hop, under the shower I think, the best song is:"I'm singing in the rain..." or "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head"...:wink: :wink:

But I hear some other kind of music...:001_rolle :001_rolle

Thomas
 
letterk said:
...We were at an Italian restaurant the other night and my son was instantly hooked on the woman singing. She stopped by and sang a song and my son just stared at her with his mouth open. Didn't even blink. At one point a moved in front of him and he pushed me back so he could see her. I've never seen him that way....
LOL. Reminds me of a vacation my wife and I took to Las Vegas last year. We stay at the Venetian resort and they have these singers all dressed up in Renessance (sp) costumes, singing Italian opera, wandering through the resort shopping areas. A little kid in a stroller (2yo?) was wide-eyed, mouth-open at the female soprano. The whole troupe of singers noticed and they "played" to the kid. It was a really cute sight.

Back on-topic, Gilbert & Sullivan stuff, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats, and possibly Vivaldi's "The Seasons" spring to my mind.

--Mark
 

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
I have to resurrect this thread to puta plug in for Beethoven's Fidelio. Get the version conducted by Otto Klemperer!!
 
Top Bottom