Do you prefer open comb or closed comb?

• Open

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Closed

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
If the exact same razor were available in open-comb and closed-comb versions I doubt if there would be any discernable difference.

One of the things I like about the Above the Tie razors is that most are available in an open or closed comb version.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"What do you mostly use," may the question.

80% or so I do use open comb; these are just razors I prefer- NEW LC, NEW SC and single-ring/ball end OLDs. Throw in Fatip Piccolo once in a while.

When I do use a 'Crat, Tech or adjustables, it seems to be just for a change of pace. The best shaves just seem to come from vintage OCs.

AA

boy, there should be a third "both" option for this poll. I chose OC because I've found it easier in most cases to get a great shave with my open combs. I've got quite a few razors and more than 25% are OC's while I've got two that are both OC and Closed (Ikon SBS and Fendrihan). Of the razors I have in regular rotation, about 40% are open comb.

Wow - I just voted and it's exactly 50/50 (at this time). That's pretty much my sentiment - I don't have a preference. I enjoy using both types. If I go 2 or 3 days without shaving, I will reach for an OC, as I know it will just mow it on down, no questions asked. Any other time, I'll just grab whatever suits the mood I'm in, or whatever.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
For me, OC. I use a safety bar at times when I need to rush or just want a super gentle shave but usually OC is my go to for a safety razor. I primarily shave with a straight, though, regardless.

Wow - I just voted and it's exactly 50/50 (at this time). That's pretty much my sentiment - I don't have a preference. I enjoy using both types. If I go 2 or 3 days without shaving, I will reach for an OC, as I know it will just mow it on down, no questions asked. Any other time, I'll just grab whatever suits the mood I'm in, or whatever.

I'm afraid I have just unbalanced it towards OCs...

I have the two types. When I started I only used an EJ DE89, and it was this way for 4 years. One day I tried a NEW FB and saw it was not the scary beast I had thought...

Now, I can't recall the last time I used a SB... somehow I find OCs more... efficient. And my preferred ones are SRs and NEW DeLuxes...

I get consistently closer shaves from my OC razors. Closest shave is from my Fatip Piccolo followed by my RazoRock Old Type. I get very satisfactory shaves from my DE89, Feather AS-D1, Progress and Merkur Slant. For me, the chance of irritation is proportional to the closeness of the shave. So I alternate based upon how close a shave I want that day, how much care I want to take and whether there is any residual irritation from a previous day's shave.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So I just checked. If you count razors like the Rolls Razor that have no comb as Open Comb then about 32.5% (call it a third) of my razors would be open comb. Just over 25% of my razors are TTOs. About 39% of my razors are modern and if we count very late model Gillette DE razors I can get it up to 40%.

Ain't numbers fun.

I enjoy using both, by my favourites are the open combs. As a general rule, I find them more efficient, but some of it is just aesthetic. OCs are more handsome razors, on the whole.

Top Bottom