What's new

Open vs Closed Comb.

Do you prefer open comb or closed comb?

• Open

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Closed

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
So, chances are long before me and long after me folks will ask this question.
But the times are changing, and what you used to like you may not like it anymore, and what you didn't like you may now like.
Let's find out.

I've never used an open comb razor so let's get some opinions from you guys.
Open comb looks like it would work well to allow shaving cream to stay on the face and not all be removed buy a flat bar.
So cast your votes and leave your comments and opinions.
Thanks everybody.
:shaving:
15090624736891423711022.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've used only one open comb, the ATT SE2. Compared to my ATT SE1, I find the open comb to be more aggressive, but I don't get a better shave from either. I could be happy with either one alone. I know this doesn't really help, but it's the best I can do.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The blade tends to remove any lather the combs might leave so I've never found much difference between how much lather is left by open comb or closed comb razors. I also haven't found much difference in the end product between open or closed comb razors; I find differences between Razor A and Razor B but no pattern to one design being more efficient or more comfortable than the other based on open or closed combs.

I also get about the same end shave from almost any razor; technique and experience seem to make the biggest difference.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use both open comb and straight bar razors and they both do the job, the advantage of the open comb it will get soap to the edge of the blade for good protection were straight bar tends to plow the soap away from the edge of blade-How much:confused1. I use a RR37 slant similar to Merkur 37c slant and I consider them a high bred type combo because the safety bar has large grooves for soap to pass through to the edge of the blade for maximum skin protection.I like the RR old type open comb (only used it a few times) and I'm going to be testing with it using different blades and soaps and maybe some jay hooking techniques to see if it handles like my other razors.
All the best

Last edited:
I find my Gillette New short comb to be an excellent razor. Efficient enough to cut through a few days of stubble, but smooth enough to be an every day shaver. I’m not knocking closed comb razors, although I’d its closed I’d prefer a slant.

Open comb designs AFAIK were originally designed in an era when people often shaved intermittently, & may not have had access to running/hot water and shaving soap.

Today, since these facilities are readily available in the developed world, OC's relevance is somewhat reduced.
There are modern OC's, but except for one, all are old designs, or throwbacks to old designs.
The only exception is Gillette's Guard, which is a cartridge razor incorporating a comb. It was designed for third world use, & design criteria included inadequate lather & minimal access to water.

I find I reach for open combs almost 100% of the time. Usually one of my Old Types, either a Single Ring or an Old Type head on a Ikon Bulldog handle or on a Fat Tech handle. I also like my Razorock Old Type on the Bulldog and a Schone Open Comb. I also reach for the NEW SC but not as much as those other aforementioned razors. Once in a blue moon I'll pull out one of my Techs just to remind myself how much I liked them when it was the first vintage razor I ever bought. So I choose Open Comb.

Last edited:
Open comb designs AFAIK were originally designed in an era when people often shaved intermittently, & may not have had access to running/hot water and shaving soap.

Today, since these facilities are readily available in the developed world, OC's relevance is somewhat reduced.
Good point.

I mostly prefer solid bars/closed combs. I find that open combs are also nice, but they are more prone to giving me cuts, especially around my Adam's Apple and on the neck in the general. Hard for me not to apply too much pressure there.

With solid bars I just go to town without worry. But again, I really like OC vintage Merkur 15C a lot too. So.

I have both, but my preferred daily driver is a Maggard Slant, so I'm picking closed comb/solid bar. I do have a couple open combs and I really did enjoy them until I got my slant.

That being said, I have been using my Open Comb razors this month for OCtober and enjoying it. It could just be me, but I feel like my blades lose efficiency faster when I'm using my OC razors. Blades that I can run for a month no problem in my slant struggle after a couple of weeks in the OC.

My Fatip Grande is the most efficient razor I have, but it's also the one that can bite me hard if I'm not paying attention.

It could still be technique, but I've come to the conclusion that open comb shaves better. I've been able to get a close shave with safety bars, but it takes a little extra work. Both are very close in results.

Even after more than eight years of DE shaving I still don't have settled for either one. I somehow still think OC is the better design because of the ability to cut slightly longer hair with ease (I've been using DEs for shaving literally everything except my eyebrows) and because it allows much more lather to actually reach the blade.

In practice, though, the difference is not as substantial as it seems. The fact that the OC leaves more lather does not seem to make the shave any smoother and when it comes to cutting long hair, the key word is not OC but blade gap and exposure. I recently shaved my Bigfoot legs and my OCs proved absolutely powerless. I then switched to a shavette which worked great.

All in all I'd say head geometry (blade gap, angle, exposure) and material are much more important properties of a safety razor. And the looks, of course. :)

I prefer open comb but that is based only on aesthetics. I like the general appearance of OC razors. However in actual use there is no advantage of one over the other. If the exact same razor were available in open-comb and closed-comb versions I doubt if there would be any discernable difference.

Frankly, there are OC that are top-notch and some that are not so good for me. Same goes for CC. It really comes down to the particular razor. YMMV for sure!

Top Bottom