What's new

Open Letter to Rockwell....Premium Edition Wanted!!

I'm going to keep this short. Rockwell, if you are listening, I'm sure i'm not along in wanting a more refined version of the 6s. You have the 6c (lower end pricing), and the 6s (mid-level), so now would be the perfect time to introduce a top-tier razor. Don't change the geometry of the razor at all. It works and it works fantastically. Seriously, what a great buttery smooth shave. With that said, how about it being more precisely machined with a fit & finish of a Timeless, Charcoal, ATT, etc.? Oh, and could you please have the tolerances tightened up a little? It's not awful but it's not great either. It's kind of a first world problem, but the top cap doesn't align the blade very well. Apparently you have other caps from a separate production run that are a "fix" for this issue. However, many out there claim you've sent them a replacement cap, that's pretty much the same, and doesn't fix the issue. Again, not the end of the world, but it would be nice not having to fiddle with blade alignment. It's kind of a pain in the a**. I have a feeling that if you produced a higher-end razor (Again, don't change the design!!!), then you'd have a windfall in sales, at least from this nutty razor crowd. You could even call it the Rockwell 6P for premium or 6B for baller. Whatever. Doesn't matter.

If you build it.....they will buy. Thanks. Focker out!

Isn't the geometry copy from Edwin Jagger? They just launched a SS premium.

The EJ might be similar for one of the plates, maybe, but I wouldn’t call it a copy at all. I previously owned the EJ but I got rid of it. I don’t find them similar myself. Regardless, I’m looking for a premium version of the Rockwell, not the EJ, and not the Karve, etc. The EJ doesn’t have multiple plate sizes as far as I know.

I don't see that happening any time soon, @Fenwayfan77. It would be a big project for Rockwell to take on. Using the MIM process was a clever idea. Precision and tolerances aren't the very best, but are good enough. I have no problem whatsoever with the cap or alignment. Like you, I would pay more for polished, high precision CNC-machined steel, but not hundreds more.

I don't see that happening any time soon, @Fenwayfan77. It would be a big project for Rockwell to take on. Using the MIM process was a clever idea. Precision and tolerances aren't the very best, but are good enough. I have no problem whatsoever with the cap or alignment. Like you, I would pay more for polished, high precision CNC-machined steel, but not hundreds more.

You’re lucky with your cap. Many do have an issue. I’m being sent a new one. Mine is only a month old and direct from Rockwell. Like you said, tolerances aren’t the best. We know that for sure. I disagree about a premium being “hundreds” more. Hundreds would be at a minimum, 200, on top of the existing 100, which would be a minimum of 300. They could do it for a hell of a lot less.

A $200 6S machined like a Timeless?? Yes please! We share similar sentiments. I love the way the 6S shaves and would happily pay double the price for a precision machined and polished version.

A $200 6S machined like a Timeless?? Yes please! We share similar sentiments. I love the way the 6S shaves and would happily pay double the price for a precision machined and polished version.

Right!? Let’s get a petition going!! Ha

I too am a fan of Rockwell's design and geometry. I have owned a 6S, 6C and a Model T and find them all great shavers. Having said that, I have little faith that Rockwell could produce a premium CNC version of the 6S that would actually replicate the shave of the 6S and be delivered in a timely fashion. As exhibit A, I would point to the original 6S campaign, which took three full production runs that included eventual replacement of all previously shipped razors, and a very long time, to finally get right. As proof that they apparently didn't learn much from this experience, Exhibit B is the campaign for the Model T. That campaign is now more than three years running and still not completely fulfilled. Like the 6S, the eventually produced Model T is a great shaving razor, but it took Rockwell numerous tries, several design and material changes, and all manner of other fits and starts to finally begin production of this new design. And they still haven't produced all of the Model Ts needed to fulfill all of the original pledges and pre-orders, never mind enough to start retail sales.

Setting up the production of a razor requiring a new producer and a new manufacturing technique does not seem to be their strong suit. If Rockwell did launch a campaign for a CNC 6S, I'd suggest you will have to be willing to plunk down a couple hundred bucks (or more) for a KS pledge, and then wait a really long time to actually get a razor. I'm not.

Totally agree with @Spang on this one. It might be better if they just designed a new razor using the same concept as Karve, ATT, CG, RR and those folks that just sell different base plates. This way you can actually CNC machine the plates without having to worry about getting it right on two sides of the head and not having the razor feel like a sledge hammer. AND, there is the matter of learning CNC machining and finding a shop that can do it reliably and in enough volume meeting their timetable.

How about just polishing the 6S?

Polishing alone wouldn't bring that much added perceived value, and I don't believe many would pay more than a negligible extra sum just for a shiny 6S. The OP's suggestion is basically a Rockwell razor to compete with the fancier stainless models from companies like ATT and Timeless, at a value point similar to razors like RR's Game Changer and Mamba, all of which are CNC'd.

However, if you want a shiny 6S, you could always get it plated in something like rhodium or gold from places like Razor Emporium, although the service costs as much as or more than the razor itself.

You guys have to stop making me want to buy more expensive things. My 6C seems like a precision fit work of art. To think that brands like Timeless and ATT go well beyond that makes me wonder just how awesome these things can be. So now I've gone from being on Cloud 9 with the 6C to looking at the next big purchase.

I hope you are all happy.

Similar to most luxury goods, as the costs rapidly increase, improvements are marginal at best.

Enjoy your 6C, it's an excellent razor! Most of our wish list items are more about vanity than substantial improvements in performance.

Moreover, wouldn't it be better if Rockwell focused on releasing a set of open-comb heads or maybe even a slant to go with the 6C/6S...?

Last edited:
I love the feel of the 6S, and I have not had any fitment issues with it whatsoever.

The matte injection molded stainless steel kind of feels like a "rock". It's awesome.

I agree that it would be great if Rockwell came out with a polished razor.

I do have to say that the alignment and tolerances on my 6S is absolutely perfect.

You’re lucky with your cap. Many do have an issue. I’m being sent a new one. Mine is only a month old and direct from Rockwell. Like you said, tolerances aren’t the best. We know that for sure. I disagree about a premium being “hundreds” more. Hundreds would be at a minimum, 200, on top of the existing 100, which would be a minimum of 300. They could do it for a hell of a lot less.
Well, I hope you are right, and that Rockwell decides to produce a high-end version. We'll see. And yes, I guess i was lucky with my cap, in that I have no alignment problems. Rockwell ought to do the right thing for customers who got bad ones. Fendrihan certainly did for me when my first cap from them was a complete disaster.

Top Bottom