What's new

open combs

I use both open combs, closed combs and straight razors. The thing I do not like about closed combs is that the safety bar tends to remove most of the lather from your skin before the blade gets into the working zone. The slots in an open comb allow some lather to pass providing more lubrication for the blade. If you have sensitive skin, that is quite important. If your skin is less sensitive, then that might not be a big issue.

If you do not shave every day, open comb razors are often more efficient.

There is old wive's tail that open comb razors are more aggressive than closed comb razors. Some of the most aggressive razors ARE open comb. Some of the mildest razors ARE closed comb. However, both types can range from mild to aggressive depending upon the design of the head and the choice of blade in the razor. Using a mild blade in an aggressive razor can "tame the beast" and using a Feather blade in a mild razor can make it more aggressive.
Yeah I had been told that different blades can change how aggressive a razor is or isn't. I guess I will have to think about what I want to do. I just want to find my fave one . You know.

I would reccomend a Fatip, either Grande or Piccolo handle. The Mk2 has the wider cap which tamed the aggressive nature of the earlier razor so it is a nice razor for daily use and not too expensive either for an all brass razor.

I use both open combs, closed combs and straight razors. The thing I do not like about closed combs is that the safety bar tends to remove most of the lather from your skin before the blade gets into the working zone. The slots in an open comb allow some lather to pass providing more lubrication for the blade. If you have sensitive skin, that is quite important. If your skin is less sensitive, then that might not be a big issue.

If you do not shave every day, open comb razors are often more efficient.

There is old wive's tail that open comb razors are more aggressive than closed comb razors. Some of the most aggressive razors ARE open comb. Some of the mildest razors ARE closed comb. However, both types can range from mild to aggressive depending upon the design of the head and the choice of blade in the razor. Using a mild blade in an aggressive razor can "tame the beast" and using a Feather blade in a mild razor can make it more aggressive.

The Barbasol Floating Head is considered "aggressive" (whatever than means) and has a solid safety bar.

IMHO, the open combs from the 1930’s represented the greatest era in wet-shaving history.

These were all from the 30’s.

One of the oc razors I saw yesterday was all black. It looked very interesting
@Hannah's Dad is missing the Short Comb, which is one of the best open combs I’ve ever used.
As for the black one, you’d do well to get it, only clean it with warm soap and water and own your first Gillette from the turn of the century. It could be a true prize. Go back, don’t daddle, get it.
You’re welcome in advance.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
@Hannah's Dad is missing the Short Comb, which is one of the best open combs I’ve ever used.
As for the black one, you’d do well to get it, only clean it with warm soap and water and own your first Gillette from the turn of the century. It could be a true prize. Go back, don’t daddle, get it.
There is plenty of love for the NEW Short Comb on B&B. For some reason, it didn’t get along with my face.

i did get it but it turned out its Not black just badly discolored it was a 19 teens old type.

I would reccomend a Fatip, either Grande or Piccolo handle. The Mk2 has the wider cap which tamed the aggressive nature of the earlier razor so it is a nice razor for daily use and not too expensive either for an all brass razor.
+1 :thumbsup:

I recently bought my first OC from West Coast Shaving (WCS brand). I wan't sure if I would like it so I bought the CC head too, just in case. I really like the shave with the OC. Now I'm on the hunt for more OCs.

I recently bought my first OC from West Coast Shaving (WCS brand). I wan't sure if I would like it so I bought the CC head too, just in case. I really like the shave with the OC. Now I'm on the hunt for more OCs.
:a14::a14:The vintage Gillette New Long Comb
/short comb is a perennially favorite OC

FB_IMG_1555479428462.jpg
I had to get one of each model. Now I just start with 1917 and work my way up to the 70's the start over again. I love them all! I have little interest in current razors. The vintage American Gillette's are more fun. I stick to made in the USA. I refuse to fall down the Brit rabbit hole. One good razor is all you need. However as a hobbyist it gives me something to look forward to. That and shooting my guns.

Last edited:
I have and use an Old Type, (2) New Long Combs, and (2) New Short Combs. All shave differently. One of the short combs and one of the long combs had very thin caps and felt too aggressive for me. I switched caps to the thickest Tech caps I had and both razors responded well. All 5 are a pleasure to use. I made a solid brass handle the same size as a Common Bar Handle for one of the short combs. The solid handle is quite a bit heavier than the hollow common bar handle and changes the handling characteristics of the razor, for the better, in my opinion. It's now one of my favourite razors.

Top Bottom