What's new

open combs

Hi all never tried an open comb de razor, how are they before i consider getting one.. currently have a 1930's gillette a 66 slim adjustable and a 56 tech.

Hi all never tried an open comb de razor, how are they before i consider getting one.. currently have a 1930's gillette a 66 slim adjustable and a 56 tech.

They can be more aggressive but if you looked at the Gillette News like the NSC/NLCss they are mid range aggressive but high end effecient.

I've put all my other SBs in cold storage after using a NSC. It's a little more aggressive than a tech or a slim at 4 but it's a 8 or 9 at effeciency.

You'll be able to get one for about $20.
And I'm only going to use OC razors from now.

What kind of Gillette is the one you have that was made in the 30's? The New Open Comb was made in the 30's.

In any event, they are some of the most popular razors. I currently mainly shave with the Old Style Open Comb made in the 20's.

The thin head is a attraction as far as getting close under the nose. The Open Comb is good for beards (I guess, I don't have a beard) as they don't clog up as easily.

The Old Style is a bit more aggressive than the New Style.

I'm a complete convert to open combs. I started with a Gillette Old Type, then a Fatip and finally a R41. I found them perfectly smooth and now just use OCs with very few exceptions. Best of all is a MMOC which is the best shaver I've ever used.

Don't be afraid of OC razors - the "aggressiveness" is a myth which I fell for until I actually used one for the first time, which was a joy. And bear in mind that for the first third of the last century everybody was using open combs.

I've read a couple of theories about why the open comb was used. One theory was that it guided the hair when men didn't shave often. However, my favorite is that is allows more lather to stay on the skin.

You should enjoy the experience. I didn't find the open comb style to be more or less effective, but I did and do enjoy the feel. Personally, the long comb New feels better than the short comb New.

Later when Barbasol introduced their shave cream, the open comb fell out of favor since it allowed the new medium to clog the blade. GEM made a "clog pruf" Micromatic which was advertised along with the Barbasol product.

First experience with an OC was my Razorock SLOC; I love that thing. Easiest razor ever for me to use, I can buff with that thing all day long and never cut myself.

Recently received a Fatip Piccolo and it comes with both an OC and SB plates; OC looks cool as hell so I tried that first. Was maybe 40% more aggressive than the SLOC and I ended up with a few weepers. Took some time to get to know it using the SB but I’ll go back to the OC end of the month.

Moral of the story is OCs look cool.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
IMHO, the open combs from the 1930’s represented the greatest era in wet-shaving history.

These were all from the 30’s.

Attachments

• 6D429EC4-1E47-4D7F-8F2C-3D7E72E5EAC0.jpeg
    6D429EC4-1E47-4D7F-8F2C-3D7E72E5EAC0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There are some great perspectives here ... Shaving was not cheap and times were tight. Nondaily shaving is made easier with an OC.

+1 on the thin cap getting under nose!

AA

What kind of Gillette is the one you have that was made in the 30's? The New Open Comb was made in the 30's.

In any event, they are some of the most popular razors. I currently mainly shave with the Old Style Open Comb made in the 20's.

The thin head is a attraction as far as getting close under the nose. The Open Comb is good for beards (I guess, I don't have a beard) as they don't clog up as easily.

I can send a pic a little later of the one I was told was a 30's ok?

It depends what you get. Some vintage OCs can be pretty aggressive but more modern OCs are very, very mild. Ive never used a vintage but Ive used more of the modern ones and theyre mild and require quite a bit of blade buffing.
Im actually a big fan of the double open comb ones. I find them to be very efficient but still very gentle, not to mention they dont clog and look pretty cool.

IMG_20190420_094704.jpg

It depends what you get. Some vintage OCs can be pretty aggressive but more modern OCs are very, very mild. Ive never used a vintage but Ive used more of the modern ones and theyre mild and require quite a bit of blade buffing.
Im actually a big fan of the double open comb ones. I find them to be very efficient but still very gentle, not to mention they dont clog and look pretty cool.
Yeah I was in a shop yesterday and he has 2 old oc razors for 5.00 a piece and was thinking of trying one or both. That shop is where I got the adjustable for 5 bucks

Did you see the pic yet? Was I told right about being 30's? It has no date code or anything.

I use both open combs, closed combs and straight razors. The thing I do not like about closed combs is that the safety bar tends to remove most of the lather from your skin before the blade gets into the working zone. The slots in an open comb allow some lather to pass providing more lubrication for the blade. If you have sensitive skin, that is quite important. If your skin is less sensitive, then that might not be a big issue.

If you do not shave every day, open comb razors are often more efficient.

There is old wive's tail that open comb razors are more aggressive than closed comb razors. Some of the most aggressive razors ARE open comb. Some of the mildest razors ARE closed comb. However, both types can range from mild to aggressive depending upon the design of the head and the choice of blade in the razor. Using a mild blade in an aggressive razor can "tame the beast" and using a Feather blade in a mild razor can make it more aggressive.

Top Bottom