What's new

Open Combs for head shavers

So I recently started another thread and the responses made me decide to go another direction and that's the purpose of this thread.

I am currently using a Timeless .68 open comb and it is about as perfect as I could expect for the task, but would like to add another razor to the arsenal. Head shaving, for me requires a delicate balance between being forgiving and efficient so I am looking for suggestions on a new open comb that other can suggest through experience with head shaving or fits the description of "forgiving/mild and efficient"

Hello,

I am a fellow head shaver. How about a Razorock SLOC. It is a medium aggressive but extremely smooth razor. It is very reasonable and a fantastic shaver.

You can get it at Italian Barber. Other handles should be available.
RazoRock SLOC Double-Edge Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Cheers
John

C3D30F09-463C-4E10-B200-F95E6C84C8B6.jpeg
768B9BBD-CE71-405A-9A31-E9485C300969.jpeg
925A4175-7FFF-490C-911F-518402F49287.jpeg
AB54AC28-07AD-45ED-800A-06790DE91C44.jpeg

I don't care for OC razors on my dome. The only OC razor I will use on my head is a SE, the MMOC.

Lately I've been using the ATT SE1 razor, plenty efficient to BBS my dome everytime with a Schick Proline blade.

Hello,

I am a fellow head shaver. How about a Razorock SLOC. It is a medium aggressive but extremely smooth razor. It is very reasonable and a fantastic shaver.

You can get it at Italian Barber. Other handles should be available.
RazoRock SLOC Double-Edge Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Cheers
John

Thanks for the recommendation. The price point of the SLOC is hard to beat and I may just have to check out the Mamba or Game Changer while I'm at it.

I don't care for OC razors on my dome. The only OC razor I will use on my head is a SE, the MMOC.

Lately I've been using the ATT SE1 razor, plenty efficient to BBS my dome everytime with a Schick Proline blade.

I at times will go a few extra days between shaves. How does the SE1 preform with 4 or 5 days growth?

I at times will go a few extra days between shaves. How does the SE1 preform with 4 or 5 days growth?

I only shave ATG, typically 3-4 times a week, it performed great on 96 hours growth a couple of times, but that's about my limit though. Any longer and I'll shave WTG and then ATG.

I am a head shaver and struggled on the back of my neck for a long time. I currently use the R41 if I've gone too long between shaves or the Razorock SLOC. I'd use the SLOC exclusively but it doesn't do overly well with long hair, and that's where the R41 shines. I should also note that I only use the R41 on the first pass and then go back to the SLOC.

I have tried the following razors and found the SLOC to be my favourite.

Merkur 38c
Merkur 39c
EJ DE89
Razorock Mamba
Razorock Hawk
Old Type
New SC
Fatboy
Slim
Rocket (flare tip)
Milord

I second the SLOC / DLCyaqi. Feels very similar to a DE89 to me (which doesn't clog). The Mamba is a great head shaver as well but I guess I'd rather go for the GC. They cover the blade tabs wich may prevent you from cutting your ear.
I have also used a vintage bakelite slant with teeth for my head for a long time. I think Phoenix razors has one to offer. Light razors are just awesome for head shaving IMHO.

I only use my DE for head shaving as well. I have the timeless master kit containing:
.68 OC
.68 Scalloped
.95 SB
Scalloped cap and smooth cap

I’ve had the set for a year and I have pretty much been using the .68 OC for the past 2 months - only 1-2 shaves per week (if that).

The .95 SB is a lot smoother than I thought and I will switch to that soon.

What really changes the shave for me are the blades. I’ve now decided not to use the feather blades anymore. I’m going to be sticking to Astra first. The derby blades also work for me.

I primarily go ATG as well as I have to have a BBS, no stubble at all.

I only use my DE for head shaving as well. I have the timeless master kit containing:
.68 OC
.68 Scalloped
.95 SB
Scalloped cap and smooth cap

I’ve had the set for a year and I have pretty much been using the .68 OC for the past 2 months - only 1-2 shaves per week (if that).

The .95 SB is a lot smoother than I thought and I will switch to that soon.

What really changes the shave for me are the blades. I’ve now decided not to use the feather blades anymore. I’m going to be sticking to Astra first. The derby blades also work for me.

I primarily go ATG as well as I have to have a BBS, no stubble at all.

I have the master kit as well except everything is .68 gap and have been using the OC with the smooth cap for a year and a half or so, but have recently been experimenting with the scalloped base and scalloped cap. It's a little smoother but not quite as efficient on 5 or 6 days growth. I may have to break down and try one of the .95 bases, but am concerned it would be a little too aggressive. I don't mind aggressive on my beard, my head however is a different story.

My favorite blade by far is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum no matter the razor combination.

I have decided my next purchase is going to be the Game Changer and Mamba if they ever get more stock.

I really like my .95 SB and will start using it for the next couple of months before switching to the .68 Scalloped. Very efficient, and not as scary as I thought it would be. I tend to be a bit more careful with it, but I get BBS without any nicks or cuts (just as long as I am not using the feather - maybe it’s my technique).

My favorite blade by far is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum no matter the razor combination.

I am going to get some of these blades now. It’s this type of endorsement that I look out for on the forum. Everyone is helpful and it’s great reading all of the reviews and comments and opinions, but the majority seem to be for face shaving (obviously). It’s good to get some ideas from head shavers.

I really like my .95 SB and will start using it for the next couple of months before switching to the .68 Scalloped. Very efficient, and not as scary as I thought it would be. I tend to be a bit more careful with it, but I get BBS without any nicks or cuts (just as long as I am not using the feather - maybe it’s my technique).

I am going to get some of these blades now. It’s this type of endorsement that I look out for on the forum. Everyone is helpful and it’s great reading all of the reviews and comments and opinions, but the majority seem to be for face shaving (obviously). It’s good to get some ideas from head shavers.

I am curious to hear what you think of the blades. I am still a rookie myself so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I've tried everything from Feather & Kai to the cheapest you can find. These are my favorite by far.

I just bought another bulk pack so PM me your address if you like and I will send you some to try.

I just bought another bulk pack so PM me your address if you like and I will send you some to try.

Thanks for the offer brother but I live in Dubai.

I like the Astra and the derby - the feather, Kai, polsilver, just donmt work for me.

Now I have put an email alert for the Game Changer and have read reviews on the mamba as well since I saw your post earlier today. Probably will get the game changer (if it comes back in stock).

Wonder if the Wunderbar slant will be any good for head shaving??

Forgot there was a pretty diverse group here. Wonder what postage would have been on $2 worth of blades.

I have been curious about the Wunderbar myself. I emailed Italian Barber and was told around end of the month on the GC and Mamba.

For the past few years I have been using my Gillette Old and New types for head-shaving.
They have proven to be great for that.

I'm a head shaver and use a variety of DE and SE razors. I've had fantastic results with
Fatip Piccolo
Gem 1912
The Yaqi Double Open Comb and Phoenix Double Open comb (much like the Razorock SLOC)
Gillette NEW Short Comb

Forgot there was a pretty diverse group here. Wonder what postage would have been on $2 worth of blades.

About $1.50 in a regular envelope. I secure the blades in a folded piece of a thin soap box and tape them inside an envelope so they don't move around.

The Micromatic OC(MMOC) was great tonight on 7 and a half days growth directly ATG with a fresh blade. First time I went that long, I've been waking up too late for a head shave, decided to shave tonight.

Top Bottom