What's new

Open comb slant; the best of both worlds?

I only have one slant, the RR German 37 or whatever it's called. Zamak head. An overall GREAT shaving experience, and quite different from any other DE I own.

My only problem with it is that it is kinda boring to use.

One BIG plus: I don't think I have found a blade that doesn't work REALLY well in it. I'm not sure if that is the case with all Slant types, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd like to take an old Gillette and twist it to see what would happen. I'll bet it's out of my skill set, but I do believe friend @Tanuki has one that he has used, and enjoys!

I’m sure tons and tons of people in here greatly enjoy and get amazing shaves with their slants, I’m just not one of them as I was unable to figure out their trick… Maybe if I’d tried them a bit longer? Idk…

I read about the slant’s advantages all the time, smooth and efficient shaves, work well with most blades, can squeeze more shaves out of the same blade, zero irritation… Maybe I’ll try to borrow back the FOCS and take it for another spin, who knows…

Anyways, I’m glad you are enjoying your RR 37 and having great shaves with it!

Take care and have a great one!

Good morning to all the fellow shavers.

As most of you know, I’m in the market for the 39c Sledgehammer. However after doing some extensive research about DE razors I have noticed a couple that are a hybrid of a slant and open comb. Has anyone used this kind of razor and. If so how did you find it?

Here is one example:
View attachment 1331368
Jason.

Vibration. Everything in the universe is vibrating. A heavy straight wedge has a vibrating apex above your skin amongst your whiskers in use. The straight wedge blade vibrates much less than the full hollow blade.
Weight, mass, thickness is how vibration is manipulated or controlled with straights, in their design.
Each razor used can and will achieve excellent shaves. The user with preference, will prefer more or less vibration with a blade in their shaves.

DE blades vibrate a lot. If you nave a perfectly flat blade and you twist and bend it at the same time it will reduce the oscillation allowed in the vibration. You now have a stiff rigid blade. It still vibrates, just a lot less. So does a very stiff bent DE blade in your razor give you a comfortable smooth shave? Yes for some and no for others.

23AAF366-D111-4E4D-91FD-BB2B9DC0F1E0.jpeg

The plastic or abs Fine Superlite slant razor has a solid bar and and the scalloped bar RazorRock 37 is a knockoff. Weight difference was large but blade rigidity in both razors were an uncomfortable shave for my de experience at the time. I was fairly new to de at the time I tried and reviewed these razors.

0A92C91A-B92E-4A35-B76D-404B00DBBBD0.jpeg

One of the game changers for me in DE was the Open Comb.The Fatip Grande from first use to my last shave has continued to impress me with fabulous comfortable close shaves. I was very well aquatinted with the Grande when Lo Stroto found it’s way into my den.

The difference in performance was noticeable but also marginal to me. I could shave a tad closer with Lo Storto. I found it to be a little slower and less maneuverable than the Grande. Bottom line Grande was a better shave for me. A tick off on closeness, but notably smoother and more comfortable. There are many others who find Lo Stroto to be their best shave. The same tool in different hands.

Voskhod blades were a favourite at the time. Loaded into the Lo Storto were beyond use for me because they were so very harsh. The Bic Platinum worked best for me in Lo Storto.

The only way to know for sure what works best for you is to try it. Straights, razors, blades, work and perform differently for each user.

The Fatip razors are one of the best priced and readily available new or used. Both razors purchased together probably more affordable than many single razors purchased. A great place to start with much written on both.

Good morning to all the fellow shavers.

As most of you know, I’m in the market for the 39c Sledgehammer. However after doing some extensive research about DE razors I have noticed a couple that are a hybrid of a slant and open comb. Has anyone used this kind of razor and. If so how did you find it?

Jason,
You might want to read this thread:

That razor was passed around and tried by a number of us here.
Like @Atlantic59, I found the slant shaved the same as my Fatip Piccolo SE for me, so no advantage to buying another one. Others had different opinions.

Thanks to all for your replies. The reason why my heart is set on the 39c Sledgehammer so much is because when the salesperson let me manouevre it on my face; it just felt soooooo good compared to the other razors that I tried. Can't wait to get my own next week!

Jason.

Top Bottom