What's new

Open Comb Recommendations

It was love at first shave when I got my Old Type Open Comb a couple of months back. With a Feather in, I get the smoothest and closest shave with it.

Only thing bugging me is that I is worn, absoloutely no plating left and even the grooves in the metal on the handle is worn down in the middle where it has been held. This one has definitely not been kept for display!

Without much success I have tried to find a better-looking replacement, so I am now considering to lOok for a more modern one. This is where I want some feedback from the community: have anyone shaved with old type and can compare
With any of the newer open combs still in production. Merkur for example has quite a number to choose for example, but they do look heavy and bulky compared to my old.

I think the Merkur OC-head comes close to the old type, or as close as you can get with modern razors. The best made razor with that head however is the Mühle R41, currently replaced by a new model, that is still available in lots of places. Just beware you order the right one! From the Merkurs I think the Classics (15C & 25C) will be closest in feel and balance; the two piece models have much heavier handles but head geometry will be (almost) identical.

Thanks for the tip, The Old Type is weighing in at 54g of which the handle stand for 29g. The merkur 15/25 seem to weigh 51g/56g, close enough if the balance is similar. I am also curious about the 1904 model - does that have the same head. It is a bit heavier at 62g, but good looking... The Muhle R41 is a nice razor from what I can see and at 58g not too heavy but considerably more expensive.

Maybe re-plating the Old type and add a custom handle would be an option, but I am afraid it be a bit expensive ;)

If you really enjoy your Old Type, why not get a replated one from Bob's Razor Works? It will run you about the same as the new Muhle tooth comb and you already know that you like how it shaves.

Here are my two.

*Edit to Add. I have used the Merkur 11c and found it very mild. It was just about useless for me. I gave it to my brother who loves it. I really prefer the Old Type to the Merkur. I haven't tried them, but you might search for a Fatip head Muhle from before they used the Merkur head.

Attachments

• $bullmastiff.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 259
  • $20010205.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Just as I submitted my post above this showed up ;)

Yes, i am really considering this since the Old Type shave is in my opinion exceptional. I have a slim, futur, red tip and some others but the Old Type is the only one I use on a regular basis! I´ll drop Bob a line and see what he got to offer!

If you really enjoy your Old Type, why not get a replated one from Bob's Razor Works? It will run you about the same as the new Muhle tooth comb and you already know that you like how it shaves.

Here are my two.

I am also curious about the 1904 model - does that have the same head. It is a bit heavier at 62g, but good looking... The Muhle R41 is a nice razor from what I can see and at 58g not too heavy but considerably more expensive.

Maybe re-plating the Old type and add a custom handle would be an option, but I am afraid it be a bit expensive ;)

I suspect the 1904 has the same head, I can't compare, I only have the 1904 head. I was stuck in the same sort of situation as you, I loved my Old but wanted a newer version of it. I ended up getting the 1904 OC and love the head. Since I did not enjoy using the stock handle, I replaced it with a Tech handle. As with the Old, the blade rests on the combs of the Merkur head.

A Muhle R41 would be great, a replated Old head on a Bullmastiff handle would be even better. But, I think you are looking for value performance, which makes the Merkur a good choice:thumbup1:

Edit: Seems like you are considering a replate from Bob, seems like the way to go if you are willing to drop the coin.

Last edited:
Edit: Seems like you are considering a replate from Bob, seems like the way to go if you are willing to drop the coin.

Well, lets say that I am willing to keep the door open and explore the possibilities ;) I have spent quite a bit on straights and hones lately so, well... ehm...

proxy.php

+1 with DC51, when you have an old loyal dog you brush it and take care of it, and once in a while you trim that old coat down, clip the claws, freshens her up like when she was a pup, she will look shiney and new, even unrecognizable to start, but she's still the old dog you love underneath.

*Edit to Add. I have used the Merkur 11c and found it very mild. It was just about useless for me. I gave it to my brother who loves it. I really prefer the Old Type to the Merkur. I haven't tried them, but you might search for a Fatip head Muhle from before they used the Merkur head.

YMMV but for me the 15C and 25C (1904 has the same head indeed) as well as the Mühle with the Merkur head are the closest to my old type; I would most certainly not recommend the Mühle with the Fatip head as a replacement for the old type as it is way more aggressive.

when you have an old loyal dog you brush it and take care of it, and once in a while you trim that old coat down, clip the claws, freshens her up like when she was a pup, she will look shiney and new, even unrecognizable to start, but she's still the old dog you love underneath.

See also the Ship of Theseus. That Wikipedia entry contains a great one from Douglas Adams:

I remembered once, in Japan, having been to see the Gold Pavilion Temple in Kyoto and being mildly surprised at quite how well it had weathered the passage of time since it was first built in the fourteenth century. I was told it hadn't weathered well at all, and had in fact been burnt to the ground twice in this century. "So it isn't the original building?" I had asked my Japanese guide.

"But yes, of course it is," he insisted, rather surprised at my question.
"But it's burnt down?"
"Yes."
"Twice."
"Many times."
"And rebuilt."
"Of course. It is an important and historic building."
"With completely new materials."
"But of course. It was burnt down."
"So how can it be the same building?"
"It is always the same building."

I had to admit to myself that this was in fact a perfectly rational point of view, it merely started from an unexpected premise. The idea of the building, the intention of it, its design, are all immutable and are the essence of the building. The intention of the original builders is what survives. The wood of which the design is constructed decays and is replaced when necessary. To be overly concerned with the original materials, which are merely sentimental souvenirs of the past, is to fail to see the living building itself.

Just Pulled the trigger on a replated Ols Type head and Bull Mastiff DeLuxe XL Flare knob from Bob. Will be a bit heavy tough - still looking forward to find a good shape original Old Type Open Comb (Ball End) as well!

Here are my two.

That brush is just so badass.

I enjoy my 1904 every time I use it. I find it very close to my older Gillette. I read a lot about the handle being slippery but I did not have a problem adapting to it.

Al raz.

The Tuckaway is a newer razor than the Old Type. Hands down the best open comb razor with a loaded Feather blade. Yes it's "shorter" than some other razors however the balance is superb and the shave glass smooth.

The Tuckaway is a newer razor than the Old Type. Hands down the best open comb razor with a loaded Feather blade. Yes it's "shorter" than some other razors however the balance is superb and the shave glass smooth.

I have found the tuckaway to be much more aggressive than the Old Type. It requires a little bit of practice and a much more delicate touch. Perhaps a middle-ground choice would be a bar-handled New?
-- Chet

The "french Army" from deutscheoptik is basically a knock-off of the OT. The head geometry/dimensions/performance are identical. The handle is much thinner, but still very grippy and solid. I just lost out on cased ball-end OT in gold that was in exc. condition - it went for $15. I got a VG OT in nickel for $10 so they are out there - they made millions of them, after all.

Top Bottom