What's new

Open comb recomendation

Which open comb razor would you suggest for a guy that enjoys mild shaves of Rockwell 6S on plate 4? Preferred blades in there are Polsilvers and Nacets

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don't know the Rockwell 6S at all, but assuming you're looking for a reasonably priced, modern razor, I'm betting you're going to get a lot of recommendations for the RazoRock Gamechanger. I've got the GC .68 OC and I've really enjoyed it....mild, but reasonably efficient. But I'm interested in seeing what others come up with.

Oh, if you're open to vintage stuff, then the field probably includes something like a Gillette New (Short Comb).

I like all of the vintage Gillettes. Get an Old Type if you can find a nice one. I've got a New Long Comb now on the countertop that's a favorite & many people prefer the New Short Comb - I like both.
Old Type New Handle.jpg
NEW SC replate.jpg
New Type Long Comb.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Among modern open comb razors, there’s Blackland Tradere, Tatara Masamune, Timeless (steel or titanium) 0.68, Karve plates AA through C, and some open comb configurations of Wolfman WR and WR2 heads.

In zamac, there’s the Yaqi Mellon and Maggards V2OC/RazoRock Old Type.

In hair shapers, Annie, Diane/Fromm, and Personna have removable safety combs.

Shavettes and straights have combs so open you’ll swear they’re not there.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I second the RR Old Type. Super nice shave. Also the RR SLOC. It’s like the PPA Double Open Comb, but actually removes the stubble efficiently.

I have not had any luck with the regular Fatip razors, so I have no inclination to try the FOCS. But lots of people love Fatip razors despite all of their blade alignment issues, quality issues, and the fact they use a different handle thread than everyone else. Not for me. But I can appreciate the people that love them.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Game Changer OC configurations are hard to beat at any price point. I like the OC .84 quite a bit, myself.

I love the GC 84 solid bar. However the OP said mild, and I found the 84 OC to be quite rough compared to the SB Without any added benefit to the shave results. Ymmv. Haven’t tried the 68 OC yet, as they were sold out when I had placed orders with IB. The 68 SB was way too mild for me, but I’ve been told the 68 OC hits a nice sweet spot. I’ll get one sooner or later.

@BradWorld, yes the .68, might be more to the OP’s liking. Haven’t tried it myself.

I like the SB .84, but I prefer the OC, which to me is more efficient. As always, YMMV.

I love the GC 84 solid bar. However the OP said mild, and I found the 84 OC to be quite rough compared to the SB Without any added benefit to the shave results. Ymmv. Haven’t tried the 68 OC yet, as they were sold out when I had placed orders with IB. The 68 SB was way too mild for me, but I’ve been told the 68 OC hits a nice sweet spot. I’ll get one sooner or later.
I have both the solid bar and the open comb in .84 and I couldn't agree more. I prefer the face feel of the bar over the comb by quite a lot. I think it's the way the teeth are. . . . on the SLOC they are smaller and closer together (albeit a milder razor). I LOVE the .84 SB. I used the .84 OC this morning, so I sure don't hate it (shave at two different houses/locations).

My 2 main razors these days are the 6S and the Karve brass. I use plate 6 on the Rockwell and get a great shave, but the Karve with an OC-B plate is a bit more efficient and definitely smoother. I use Nacets in both.

I love my RR SLOC. It's a milder razor, but paired with the Polsilver or Nacet like you indicated it's a whisker mowing machine ( the Polsilver/SLOC combo is my favorite wetshaving combo ).

The only other OC I have is a Gillette Old Type, and though it is a nice shaver it doesn't hold a candle to the SLOC.

Top Bottom