What's new

Open comb razors - help me choose my next weapon!

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new open comb razor, as the only comparable shaver I have used up till now has been the Muhle R41. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like this razor, I just would like to know how it compares to others currently available. Choices I have in mind are:

Goodfella - I hear this is actually quite mild,could possibly be good for when my face is irritated (I have very sensitive skin and tough hair)

Merkur 1904 open comb - I love the classic look of these and am intersted to know how this would compare to the likes of a slant 37C?

Fatip Grande - Again like the look of this one and the fact that it is marketed towards those who don't shave everyday.

Based on the choices above, what would you guys reccomend? Cost is no issue, though I am obviously not going to buy all 3 so any reccomendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,

R.

Of all the choices you gave, I'd pick the Fatip. I've never used one myself, but it has a big following on here. Even though cost is no issue as you state, the Cadet/RazoRock/Pearl OC's are not to be missed. They're the same razor, just each are sold through different vendors. They range from $15-$20, and are very well-finished. On the higher-end, Tradere makes a beautiful OC that's also reported to offer a great shave.

Another beautiful razor is the Joris. Many people say it shaves smoother than a Fatip. I never tried a Fatip but I own a Joris and it is a very smooth shave. I like it better than the R41 I had.

$Joris 1.jpg

If you are not opposed to vintage razors, the Gillette NEW should probably be your choice.

The choices you listed are diametrically opposed. Both the Goodfella and the 1904 are very mild. The FaTip is very aggressive.

The NEW is a nice moderate razor that is extremely well made and well balanced.

If cost is no issue I would suggest you consider one of the ATT razors. While I don't have one of their open comb plates, I do have the regular plate and it's a superb razor. Those who have the OC plates seem to love them. Stan at ATT is a great guy to work with and his money back policy is quite impressive.

From your list, I will cast my vote for the FaTip Grande! Depending on opinion it is known to be medium to high on the "aggression" blade exposure/angle scale. It does take an experienced and light touch but produces a very close shave. Of course at some point you must have a Gillette NEW.

Another vote for a vintage Gillette New (short comb for slightly milder, long comb for slightly more aggressive). Both are excellent.

I've got some advice for you, as someone who has relavent experience. :)

I'm a regular R41 user, and it gives me a great shave! Though I'm used to it now and it no longer bothers me, it is still one of the harshest razors around.

I used to own a FaTip Grande and put many shaves on it. While the shave was good, I found it to also be a harsh feeling razor. It did not give as good a shave as the R41, and given its similar harshness I felt it wasn't worth it.

For several months now I have been using the RazoRock OC's, namely the Little Bastone OC and the Jaws. They are the same head with different handles. I have found them to provide a shave that is nearly as good as the R41 while at the same time they feel smooth during the shave! It was somewhat surprising to me, given previous experience, that it could be that aggressively close and still smooth. Also, they are a fine piece of razor in your hand. Heavy, chrome over brass and solid construction. And very affordable at about $15. Do they beat out the R41, not quite. I don't think anything will honestly. But IMO if you'd like to give a good OC a try you cannot go wrong with the RazoRock offerings.

At the moment I prefer my 2011 R41 and own two Fatips, which are the next closest thing I own in the way of OC razors. Beware of quality issues with the Fatip; I had to return my first razor. Also note that they're not the easiest to load, either. These issues aside, they're still worth it IMHO. Joris is simply a refinished Fatip head fitted a swanky handle, and I would assume they weed out the bad heads before rebranding.

I returned to my new FaTip this week. Oh how I'm trying to love it. I have not found the angle and touch yet and I'm getting some irritation but close shaves. I've read about every thread and watched a couple YouTube videos and I am trying to give the FaTip its due respect. So far, its biting back some. Any advice from other FaTippers?

I've got some advice for you, as someone who has relavent experience. :)

I'm a regular R41 user, and it gives me a great shave! Though I'm used to it now and it no longer bothers me, it is still one of the harshest razors around.

I used to own a FaTip Grande and put many shaves on it. While the shave was good, I found it to also be a harsh feeling razor. It did not give as good a shave as the R41, and given its similar harshness I felt it wasn't worth it.

For several months now I have been using the RazoRock OC's, namely the Little Bastone OC and the Jaws. They are the same head with different handles. I have found them to provide a shave that is nearly as good as the R41 while at the same time they feel smooth during the shave! It was somewhat surprising to me, given previous experience, that it could be that aggressively close and still smooth. Also, they are a fine piece of razor in your hand. Heavy, chrome over brass and solid construction. And very affordable at about $15. Do they beat out the R41, not quite. I don't think anything will honestly. But IMO if you'd like to give a good OC a try you cannot go wrong with the RazoRock offerings.

Nice alternative, I would suggest the Fatip (and as far as I know it is full brass too) by default but that short handled Razorock, or Pearl as I know it is a great razor to complement the R41 indeed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom