What's new

Open Comb Razor - Is there some trick to making it work properly?

Hi Everyone,
I bought a Merkur open comb razor (23C I think) nearly two years ago. I can't make it work for me.

Initially I used a Gillette Super Thin, then I tried an Astra SP. The result every time was that it didn't take all the stubble off, and I wouldn't get any nicks. Then I'd go over the areas where it hadn't shaved close. It still didn't take it all off, and I'd wind up with patches of red skin and tiny pimples that it took days to recover from (despite using alum). So I had the worst of both worlds - a lousy shave and lousy skin.

I would then just put the razor aside for months, before trying it again.

So today I used a very mild blade - a Shark Stainless steel. The result was a fairly average shave, but the skin didn't seem aggravated because I limited the number of passes over where it hadn't shaved properly.

I know some people love open comb razors, but I rate mine as the poorest of all my DE razors. Is there some trick to using it that I'm missing?
Regards,
Renato

My experience is that open comb razors all shave differently. I found the Merkur open comb to provide an impossible combination of irritating the heck out of my skin while not shaving stubble, much like you.

I found the Gillette New open combs (British and short combs preferably) to be much more effective while being much nicer to my face.

A Goodwill/Old Type would be another open comb option. Some people like Cadets/equivalents, but I prefer vintage myself.

My experience is that open comb razors all shave differently. I found the Merkur open comb to provide an impossible combination of irritating the heck out of my skin while not shaving stubble, much like you.

I found the Gillette New open combs (British and short combs preferably) to be much more effective while being much nicer to my face.

A Goodwill/Old Type would be another open comb option. Some people like Cadets/equivalents, but I prefer vintage myself.

Thanks very much for that.
I'm extremely pleased to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this difficulty with the Merkur.
Regards,
Renato

I get the exact same thing with the Gillette Old Style razors, but the Gillette new SC is one of the best I have, as is the New Standard.

I get the exact same thing with the Gillette Old Style razors, but the Gillette new SC is one of the best I have, as is the New Standard.

Thanks - another person with the exact same thing!!
I'm surprised, as I must have missed others saying what I posted.

I just had a look in the mirror, and had to get out my electric to get rid of the remaining bits of stubble that the Merkur didn't take away entirely.
Regards,
Renato

Its the design of the merkurs open comb that's the problem.
It's the same with the pre-2011 R41 and Goodfella open combs.
The cap clamps the blade virtually flat against the comb allowing very little room for the blade to get under the hair.
I had the same problem as you but now I have a NEW long comb which has a much better design and it just mows the hair down.
You will have much better success with a vintage open comb.

I'm one of those loving Merkur open comb. They are tools for getting DFS. They are over-mild, incapable of giving BBS. By trying to force a BBS by adding passes and pressure, you will surly irritate your face.

I love the fact I can get a DFS even after one week of growth in just two passes.

Merkur OC razors are probably the mildest OC razors existing, and that is the reason you have something left after the shave. With skin-pulling, sliding and other techniques you can get very close to BBS. I get a very good shave from them by applying some techniques.

The now dis continued MErk 11C was possibly the most aggressive OC razor they had. Like the Merk 34 but OC. A tip with the merk heads is to,

A) Shim the balde so theres more bed and hence more cutting angle

or

B) try a sightly heavier handel (weber bulldog) as this allows for more feel in the hand and you end up with a little more pressure.

I love the balance, weight, and design of the 34C but thought I would like to try an open comb to help with the flat growing hairs on my lower neck. So I bought a second hand 11C off my vendor hoping it would help but I just couldn't get a decent shave out of it.
It's a shame as I love the HD styling.

I learned on the Merkur you have, and shaved for two years with nothing else until I joined here. As engbloom said, they are a DFS tool. The key is not to press it past that. That's when the irritation comes. You also need a sharp, smooth blade. Bic Chrome Platinum were the only blades I used for those 2 years. Since joining here I have found that Gillette Silver Blue and Voshkod's work really well too.

I would suggest a Gillette New short comb. It will feel familiar, but give you a much better shave.

I have been DE shaving for years. My beard is on the softer side as I haveblondish brown hair. And I have prettysensitive skin. I own and have used boththe Gillette Old Big Fellow and the Gillette New short tooth open comb. The new is a LOT less aggressive than the Old. The old leaves me with arazor burned face for days. Even if I work it slow and careful using Tabacsoap for an easy glide. The new is justa beautiful smooth shave with no burning. I have about 20razors.

I have had the same experience where the old type where the blade is laying directly on the base plate digs in and provides me with an aggressive shave that does not get all the stubble. When I started using the Gillette NEW long and short comb it was a much better experience. It was nice to take it back to the original and experience it but I reach for my NEW SC when I want a super close smooth shave. Throw in a blade the fits your fancy and bam..you got yourself a winner!

Top Bottom