What's new

Open Comb October

Just acquired an Old Type this weekend myself for $8. Just got her cleaned up and had my first OC shave tonight with it. I really like it! I'll definitely count myself in on OCtober. Need to work with it some anyway.

$IMAG0576[1].jpg

Here is the current enrollment. If I missed you, please let me know. There is still time to join the fun.

No.Name
1Shutterbug57
2DrAwkward
3mastershake
4Lothar101
5bryan1980
6Chado
7Ollie4ISU
8Chongo Gordo
9Teppanyaki
10Suggy
11tiernan22
12k200817
13Cornishman
14ThomasB989080
15hdjj00
16JSB33
17DaveL
18Rawskin
19oldbluelight
20cpacamper
21coyotewhisper
22Richie
23KQY61
24Rockminer
25GHCHambone
26Jasman
27briggs
28SteveWY
29mswofford
30zombiemann
31KindestCutofAll
32mikelz777
33dpmtherrien
34chgruver
35rotarygov
36garyg
37segnod
38SocalRick
39TonyJoe
40docfox
41Sceptic Pencil
42dymaxion
43GuanYu
44pwe123
45shep
46civilengineer

It's now officially OCtober. Let the games begin!

Night-shaver here. I just finished my nightly shave. My Ikon OC Deluxe w/ English Wilkie (going to try to make it last the month!) easily cut through my 2 day growth with very little clogging. My face is now BBS and it's time for bed. Open Combs rock!

Last edited:
For the start of OCtober, I went back to basics & used my first ever OC, a Merkur 41C. The shave was as comfortable as with the Gillette Ball End Tech I used last week, with less buffing required & no stray bristles left. I can feel that the shave isn't as close as the more aggressive/efficient OC razors I have been using for the past few months. It was still a good start to OCtober though.

To kick off OCtober, I finally won that TTO OC Aristocrat I have been trying to win for a while. I got a good deal on it with box and a blade holder. My troika of TTO OCs is now complete. Today's shave will be with my Senator.

Last edited:
Haven't got too many OC razors, just a half dozen or so. I'm going to start OCtober with my flashiest razor, an English Gillette New (Rhodium plated by Dave from Restored Razors UK) on a UFO Tornado handle.
Just had my first shave using TOBS Eton College cream, a Muhle synthetic V2 brush and a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow blade.
$ufo5.jpg

Last edited:
1st OCtober shave!

$image.jpg

Palmolive shave stick
No.6 horsehair brush
1918 Gillette Bulldog Old type / Feather (5) - XTG, XTG
Alum block
Fine Accoutrements Vetiver splash

Last edited:
Hi,

Oster Latherservice model 222 tallow soap mixed with
Carden Farms (NC artisan soap) glycerine soap
Rubberset horsehair brush
Fasan OC Double Slant razor
Personna Lab Blue blade
Lubriderm lotion as AS.

This is pretty much going to be my standard setup for OCtober. I might switch out to an Old Type or a New LC, but that double slant gets me so near to BBS with one pass that I don't know as I will ever change razors again! :thumbup1:

Stan

Tuesday:

Prep: Hot shower, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, Crown Shaving Co. Supreme Glide Pre-Shave Formula
Brush: VDH Boar
Soap: Ginger's Garden Coffee Jasmine Glycerin
Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
Blade: Dorco-301 (3)
Passes: WTG, XTG
Post: Cold water rinse, Alum, cold water rinse, Dickinson's WH, Aveeno Active Naturals ASB
Cologne: Burberry Brit for Men by Burberry

Unless I score a Bakelite Slant, a FaTip, or a TTO OC at some point this month, the 41c will be my daily driver for OCtober.

Last edited:
My tools of choice for OCtober:
$20131001_090331 (1).jpg
An open comb Micromatic, long comb NEW, and an Old Type. I'm going to focus on the Old Type this month. To start:

Tuesday morning face

hot shower
Omega 10066
MWF
face lathered
Old Type
Yellow 7:00
cold water rinse
AV ICe Blue

Very smooth shave. Used very little pressure with great success.

Didn't shave this morning ... but will tonight and will use OC

I'm in

I have both a long and short Gillette OC and will use them the whole month. I also have a OC Segal that I really wish I could use but don't have blades to fit.

Didn't shave this morning ... but will tonight and will use OC

I'm in

I have both a long and short Gillette OC and will use them the whole month. I also have a OC Segal that I really wish I could use but don't have blades to fit.

Are the Gillettes Old Type, NEW or something else?

I currently have a WTB posting in B/S/T for an open comb but unfortunately, the one offer I received didn't pan out. I used to have a Cadet OC but sold it and now I'm experiencing sellers remorse. I'm still hopeful I can participate in OCtober.

Does anyone out there have an excellent/like new Little Bastone or a Cadet TP01-SS open comb? They are both the same so either one would be fine. Send me a PM if you have one that's not getting the love and attention it deserves and maybe we can work out a deal.

attachment.php

Here's my October 1 shave:

Short Comb Gillette New w/Personna Med Prep blade
RazoRock Don Marco (it's also RazoRocktober!)
Muhle Synthetic brush
Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel
RazoRock Problem Solver aftershave

Great shave, gonna be a great month!!!

Oct 1st shave:

Gillette NEW loaded with an Astra Superior Platinum.
VDH Luxury soap and brush (received last week as a birthday gift, figured I'd give it a fair shake)
Aveeno after shave lotion

Had some lather issues. Not surprised, since I haven't really had a chance to figure out the trick to it. I know a lot of people knock the VDH stuff, but I can consistently get a good lather out of the cheap wally world pinkish VDH soap. Just took some experimentation to get it figured out.

Didn't shave this morning but will tonight. Have had 3 pretty good shaves (I'm only doing 2 WTG passes) with my new iKon OC since I got it on Saturday. I hope this isn't just another tease, but my ingrown hairs are healing and getting better by the day. Maybe my first open comb will mark the end of my ingrown adventure?

I think to kick off OCtober I'll go with:
Proraso pre
iKon OC w/ Feather blade
QCS Vostok (2nd shave with this soap, not as cold as I expected)
Speick AS lotion

Top Bottom