What's new

Open Comb Micromatic

What a wonderful "gem" you scored @jmudrick !!
I wonder if the Star blades were originally part of the set instead of the famous Micromatic "Doubledge" blades that came out that same year.

EDIT: I've read the Adquisition thread and now I know those Stars are from 1934 :001_smile

Last edited:
What a wonderful "gem" you scored @jmudrick !!
I wonder if the Star blades were originally part of the set instead of the famous Micromatic "Doubledge" blades that came out that same year.

EDIT: I've read the Adquisition thread and now I know those Stars are from 1934 :001_smile
Correct . I know because they have the NRA emblem indicating late 33 or 34. The Gem blades that came with this set say "Colgate-Palmolive" on the wrapper.

I've tried nearly every SE blade marketed for shaving, and the Gem PTFE is my clear favorite. Welcome to consistent & wonderful SE shaving.

Yep, the Personna PTFE GEM blade is the King of Blades. There are very good DE blades that are equally sharp - and that means VERY sharp - but they aren't rigid, and so are dependent on the head design for their rigidity. It's this rigidity that puts GEMs ahead of the crowd and gives you smooth and irritation-free shaves, especially ATG. But don't stop at the MMOC - get a 1912, or an Ever-Ready Made in England 1912, and fit a heavier modern handle on it. Easy way of joining a M5 handle to a 1912 head is to use a British 2BA thread. I buy 1" brass screws off eBay.uk and saw the heads off.

ER 1912+Rockwell4.jpg

Top Bottom