What's new

Open Comb Dilemma

I recently bought a Merkur Travel Razor with an open comb to use when...

...traveling. :wink:

First of all, A+ for the Merkur Travel Razor. Yea, I realize that any razor in a case would do for travelling but the coolness factor of the little leather case and small size makes a Fat Boy in a soap dish seem BORING!

To the shave:

I loaded the Merkur with a Feather and had 2 great shaves so far. The open comb felt a LOT smoother with zero razor drag on my skin. I don't know if it was just the open comb, the highly polished Merkur head or a combination of the two but it was an extremely smooth, comfortable shave. This is my first and only open comb razor and I absolutely LOVED the feel of the open comb versus the solid safety bar I am used to on my Fat Boy, Slim Adjustable and Superspeeds so I think I REALLY need to find an open comb to use everyday!!

Here's my dilemma; I use my adjustables on a setting of #7 or higher and I can't imagine there is a blade out there I will ever like as much as a Feather. I guess that means I like an aggressive razor.

I would LOVE to use a vintage Gillette with an open comb although I will probably buy a Merkur to tide me over while I search for the perfect vintage razor.

So what are my options for an aggressive open comb?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Love my Single Ring Old Types. Used a different one each of the last 6 days, planned 7. Another should have been hear before now :)frown:), I may wait for today's mail to shave :biggrin:.

proxy.php

Another option might be a Big Fellow, in either Old Type (here in silver) or New Improved (here in gold) head configuration.

proxy.php

proxy.php

So what are my options for an aggressive open comb?

Well, "aggressive" is a fuzzy* term but I have heard people refer to the GEMs as such although I would not use that term. They are simply different than DEs. Also, the GEM 1912 is somewhere between an open-comb and a safety-bar design. It appeals to me and I was a big open-comb fan.

So, if you haven't tried a GEM 1912 I say give it a shot. They are easy to find and inexpensive. I'll even mail you a couple of great SE blades.

*EDIT: Hey I made a pun!

EDIT TWO: There are actual open-comb GEMs but I never used one. These are NOT the 1912 model so I never bothered with one, having tried other non-1912 GEMs and not liking them.

Get a New Improved. They are more aggressive then the Old Type. Look for a Tuckaway which makes a nice travel kit or the Bostonian, Richwood or New Standard. They are great razors and impressive looking as well.

Len

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on NEW Imporoved.

It works well, not the most aggressive but good razor!

Just to get this clear; what is your problem with the shave the Merkur gave you in the first place so that you want it to be more aggressive?? :confused:

Nothing except I bought it as a travel razor.

I was hoping to go with a vintage Gillette because looking at some of the razors pics posted, if I could eat my cake & have it too I think shaving with something that old would add a tremendous amount of pleasure to the experience for me.

Those are some beautiful vintage razors!! That Bostonian is awesome but as a NY Yankees fan, I just don't know...:wink:

since you like the feel of the merkur,

perhaps you should get a new merk open comb, like an 11C....

if you wanted vintage, i LOVE the gillette new. it's not super mild but it's definitely not aggressive.

if you want something a bit more daring, i'd suggest a new standard or a bostonian

I would suggest you look into Cooncatbob's Bull Mastiff. He offers most of the vintage Gillette heads to go with his handles and they are replated so they look sweet. I think the extra weight of the handle makes them a bit more aggressive since that's what your looking for. I have been raving about this razor since I started using mine but that's how impressed I am with with my new razor. This was my first open comb also and I too prefer the shave I get compared to a safety bar. I have yet to find a razor that gives me a better shave than the BM with an Old Type head. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Last edited:

I was hoping to go with a vintage Gillette because looking at some of the razors pics posted, if I could eat my cake & have it too I think shaving with something that old would add a tremendous amount of pleasure to the experience for me.

Those are some beautiful vintage razors!! That Bostonian is awesome but as a NY Yankees fan, I just don't know...:wink:

I get a lot of pleasure from using the old razors. There are many to choose from and the experience seems different with each one.

As for the Bostonian, it's only the case that makes it one. It is known by many names. I see them for sale all the time without cases.

Len

I love the old open comb Gillettes, but really doubt there's one out there that would be an aggressiveness match for an adjustable on 7.

But I do think someone devised a method in a thread here. If I remember correctly, you take a DE blade and cut off the sharp edges. This is then put on the razor underneath the blade you shave with. This raises the cutting blade, creating more of a blade gap.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS, and would urge caution should you choose to try it.

I have a Merkur 12C and an EJ 89L (closed comb). The 12C is like the 38C, but with an open comb. The 12C with a Feather is my best shave. The heavier weight (4+ oz) will be a change from your travel razor. You might also try a slant - which is my next experiment.

Ok, my fault; the Merkur OC is rather mild IMO so I assumed you were looking for a razor with more of a bite to it...:biggrin:

Muhle R41. Got mine a few weeks back and it's become my favorite.

My favourite OC too; it has the Merkur head but with far superior fit & finish. A RAD killer for sure!
Whenever you want a modern OC after you gathered your vintage razors this is the one I would recommend (over the Merkurs).

+1 on the Bull Mastiff.

If you like a low cost Merkur open comb, I really like the 1904 Classic open comb - very smooth, middle of the road as far as aggressiveness. Should do very well with a Feather.

R

rainman

You could get a Muhle R89 old head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom